1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Electric Fuel

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 02:40 PM
strokersace
Fleet Mechanic
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by strokin'_tatsch
A raptor pump???? not sure of what your calling the original AD. good idea on the Y block, but why would you even need an AD and a fuelab pump??? you can run just the big fuelab pump and have enough fuel to run a set of 400cc injectors. your going wayyyyy overkill brother. LOL
No not a raptor pump. The "original" AD as I call it is the 1st version of the airdog that just has the low pressure lift pump w/ the air/water seperator. The AD2 has the integrated high pressure fuel pump on it so no need for an additional pump.

I like overkill though, so I'd rather have the seperate pump that's why I'll use the older style AD. As for just running the pump? Sure I could use a Dahl for filtering and water seperating... But since I'm keeping both tanks and the selector valve, there's going to be alot more connections so to be safe I want the air seperation as well. And who the heck knows, this truck may someday be a play toy with WAY more fuel demands than it does now.

Old 02-02-2010, 02:46 PM
strokersace
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by Talyn
I'm always in the overkill boat.

But the AirDogs are not for our trucks.

i'd stick with simple.
Overkill and I get along really well too!

AirDogs are pretty simple to put on our trucks if you think about it. The main reason people think it can't be done is because of the AD return line. On the SD's it returns back into the filler neck in the form of a union and t-fitting. The SD's only have one tank so that's a great choice for return.

But since ours have 2 tanks and the selector valve, instead of t-ing into the filler neck, just "t" into the factory motor return line in front of the selector valve. Pretty simple really cause it wouldn't be any more effort to customize that, than it is to cut the filler neck and such.

Old 02-02-2010, 05:43 PM
FARM69
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It sounds like we need to get Neal on this thread!

I like the idea of having a whole kit. The older I seem to get... the less time I get to work on things.

Does the CPR system have fuel heat? I need to do some research tonight.

Old 02-03-2010, 03:57 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by FARM69
It sounds like we need to get Neal on this thread!

I like the idea of having a whole kit. The older I seem to get... the less time I get to work on things.

Does the CPR system have fuel heat? I need to do some research tonight.
i believe you can get a heater for the CPR kit. i went without the heater b/c one we can use additive to help prevent gelling and two i don't need a heater anyways b/c i'm in Texas and three i wanted the fuel to stay cool anyways.

Old 02-04-2010, 06:19 PM
FARM69
Postmaster
I think I'm going to go with a homemade kit. I like the CPR kit, but for that kind of money is a little much. Especially when guys are saying that they did it themselves for $600.

I'm gonna start finding the parts. I'm thinking I can rig up the filters/pump before doing the complete install. I plan on using braided still hose for the lines in the valley.

I need to do some more research on the wiring of the system, but I'm thinking of using the oil pressure switch instead of the inertia.

Old 02-04-2010, 06:58 PM
strokersace
Fleet Mechanic
I think I'm going to go with a homemade kit. I like the CPR kit, but for that kind of money is a little much. Especially when guys are saying that they did it themselves for $600.

I'm gonna start finding the parts. I'm thinking I can rig up the filters/pump before doing the complete install. I plan on using braided still hose for the lines in the valley.

I need to do some more research on the wiring of the system, but I'm thinking of using the oil pressure switch instead of the inertia.
I think you can do it for $600 easy and that includes the filters, bases, pump, etc. I was into mine on the SD about $450 and that included all fittings, hose, regulator, delete block, filters, and bases. I didn't have to buy the pump though, so it might have cost me more if I had to do that.

Old 02-04-2010, 07:39 PM
Talyn
Hotshot
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
Yea. I really want to get a good parts list together and a "how-to" written up on this deal.

600 is a bit outa my range right now. I'ma start scrounging for parts.

If people can get a good list of the fittings that are needed, that will help a lot of people.

Old 02-04-2010, 08:08 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
i guess i will make it a point to find the installation instructions for my CPR kit this weekend. LoL

Old 02-04-2010, 09:27 PM
jchosler
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Talyn
Yea. I really want to get a good parts list together and a "how-to" written up on this deal.

600 is a bit outa my range right now. I'ma start scrounging for parts.

If people can get a good list of the fittings that are needed, that will help a lot of people.
I got a few of these write ups saved but if you do another one, please be as elementery as you can. god knows I need that

Old 02-04-2010, 09:29 PM
jchosler
Elder User
i guess i will make it a point to find the installation instructions for my CPR kit this weekend. LoL
about how much did you spend for the CPR kit and do you know what a beans system runs? How important is this mod?

Old 02-04-2010, 10:39 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by jchosler
about how much did you spend for the CPR kit and do you know what a beans system runs? How important is this mod?
i spent about $1300 on my CPR system. this mod is an awesome mod to do simply for a little better fuel mileage and no more fuel leaks. also better fuel filtration. the system really isn't very important unless you want to run stage 2 or bigger injectors. you don't even have to have it with stage 2's, but it does help b/c the stock pump will have a hard time keeping up.

Old 02-04-2010, 10:59 PM
Talyn
Hotshot
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
I got a few of these write ups saved but if you do another one, please be as elementery as you can. god knows I need that
I try and keep some of my Mod posts just foreign enough to keep people from trying them. Dont want people screwing up their stuff cause of me. But this one a lot of people ask on, so if I can get all the parts together, I can do the mod.
I'd have travis or neal help me if i could, but you f-ers gotta live to far away.

Travis, do an Electic fuel day over at cody's this summer? :P

The beans system is about the same.
Electric fuel is just a more efficient and reliable system. while i like the stock system. i wanna clean up the valley in the motor and get things more efficient.
A controlled Fuel Pressure, instead of a spring and a BB. Something where I can see WTH is going on and control it.

i spent about $1300 on my CPR system. this mod is an awesome mod to do simply for a little better fuel mileage and no more fuel leaks. also better fuel filtration. the system really isn't very important unless you want to run stage 2 or bigger injectors. you don't even have to have it with stage 2's, but it does help b/c the stock pump will have a hard time keeping up.
X2.

My stock system is keeping up with the stage 1's just fine. I just want more efficiency, thats why I want an electric system.

Old 02-05-2010, 06:29 AM
FARM69
Postmaster
I second the motion on the fittings. It always seems like I never get the right ones and when I get to the parts house they never have the ones I need.

There are some pretty good write-ups on the net right now. Each one kind of different, but the overall results are there.

I'm terrible at remembering to take notes and pictures when I'm doing projects likes these. It always seems like I'm 3/4 done before I remember.

Old 02-05-2010, 10:04 AM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
I second the motion on the fittings. It always seems like I never get the right ones and when I get to the parts house they never have the ones I need.

There are some pretty good write-ups on the net right now. Each one kind of different, but the overall results are there.

I'm terrible at remembering to take notes and pictures when I'm doing projects likes these. It always seems like I'm 3/4 done before I remember.
that's what i usually do. remember to take pics after i'm about to finish it all up. haha. it's a pretty simple procedure. took me and my brother about 4-5 hours to do mine. my system uses an oil pressure switch AND an inertia switch. wiring wasn't bad. if i can ever find my CPR stuff i can do a write up off of that for y'all. i think i might have left it at cody's or something b/c its not at my house or in my truck...

Old 02-05-2010, 08:34 PM
jchosler
Elder User
I have stage II's now (DIY). Chip, intake and exaust are now done (just have to reinstall). would the fuel system be a good mod to do next, or is there something I'm missing first?

Quick Reply: Electric Fuel