1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

locker, diffs question

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 05:41 PM
abriel68
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
locker, diffs question

i have a question, is anyone running a spool or detroit locker full locker not lim slip in their rear of there f250 diesel or gas. do you guys have or have heard of any problems with axles or any other problems? my f250 wouldn't be my daily driver but i do drive it outta town and on the highway. also what is the recomended gearing for a 5.4 v8 with 35" tires.

Old 02-01-2010, 05:58 PM
bsfarmer
Senior User
I'm geared 4.56's with 33's and its a little low for most people, but perfect for what I do with my truck. I imagine it would be the gear ratio to have for 35's.

Are you a gasser or diesel?

Old 02-01-2010, 06:15 PM
abriel68
Senior User
im gas. i have a 5.4 v8. thanks for the info on the 4.56's thats what i think im gna go to. one more question about the spool i know they are far cheaper what would be the difference of getting a detroit compared to a spool. i've had a spool in my toyota's never had a problem. the biggest reason is i know the difference in having open or limited slip compared to fully locked, i dont like when my tires dont spin at the same time.

Old 02-01-2010, 06:54 PM
bsfarmer
Senior User
I wouldn't do a spool, in big trucks like ours its pretty hard on parts and eats tires up pretty good. Locker is definitely the way to go.

I am 100% satisfied with both of my L/S units, there's only been a couple of times that both tires where not turning. Both times I was completely floored and it was bogged down to like 3Krpms. In fact I twisted a driveshaft it was pulling so hard. Probably would have snapped a front axleshaft if it was locked.

Looking back if I had the money I would have gone lockers, but they are spendy and with my D50 I could hear axleshafts breaking. If you have a D60, go all out with a locker.

Old 02-01-2010, 07:21 PM
abriel68
Senior User
what i noticed in my toyota is with the bigger tire i had there was less chirp or tire wear, axles are far bigger on my f250, a spool will do the same as a detroit locker correct?

Old 02-01-2010, 08:02 PM
abriel68
Senior User
the only issue i had is i set my gears up to hasty the ring gear teeth sheared off, the spool was intact and reused, my question is will it be safe if im driving in the hills on the road will it affect my traction in a negative way? i read alot " you better be driving in a strait line if your driving with a spool" will it cause me to loose traction if im driving in windy hills or on the street?

Old 02-01-2010, 08:22 PM
rickf92592
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Seriously, a spool on the street?
You've got to be kidding!
For one thing, if you did find traction, I doubt your axles would last long.
That is waaay to much stress in a tight corner with good traction.
A spool permanently and completely locks the two axles together and are only intended for race track use.

I would never run a spool on a street car and I manage a Trophy Truck team.

(BTW, we move the rear end of the Trophy Truck around with a jack in the shop to protect the 300M axles from damage)

Old 02-01-2010, 08:38 PM
abriel68
Senior User
ok so what if i had a detroit locker it would be the same thing correct? what your saying is go to a limited slip?

Old 02-01-2010, 09:42 PM
cartmanea
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Consider the TruTrac, I have it and love it. For 35s on a 5.4L I'd go with 4.56 gears.

Old 02-01-2010, 09:45 PM
Furian
You Keep What You Kill
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Based on Eaton's website, the Detroit Locker does allow the wheels to spin at different speeds, when required.

Detroit Locker Differentials

Detroit Locker Differentials
<!--SS_BEGIN_ELEMENT(region2_element1)--><TABLE border=0 align=left><TBODY><TR><TD> </TD><TD>
  • 100% locking differential
  • Legendary traction
  • Ultimate performance
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

The legendary Detroit Locker began the revolution in performance differentials and still leads the industry today as an Eaton brand. The Detroit Locker is the most durable and dependable locking differential available.
The Detroit Locker maximizes traction by delivering 100% of the torque to both drive wheels. It is engineered to keep both wheels in a constant drive mode, and has the ability to automatically allow wheel speed differentiation when required. Applications are also available for C-Clip style axles.
No other performance differential has the reputation for delivering traction in mud, snow, rocks and on the track. The choice of professional racers and off-road enthusiasts around the world! The durability of the Detroit Locker is unmatched!

Old 02-01-2010, 09:52 PM
bsfarmer
Senior User
I think you have things confused...

A spool permanently locks everything together as one piece. It replaces your carrier and spider gears with one solid piece. You will have a locked up rear all the time no matter what. Like stated before you would not want this on anything driven on the street. You WILL break parts.

A Detroit locker will allow your axles to differentiate when turning, but will lock up under load. Still kinda rough on the road when turning under power.

A limited slip is just what the name says, provides limited slip to each side. Not a locker, but can have the same effect in most circumstances.

Whoops I guess someone beat me to it, good explanation on the locker furian!

Old 02-01-2010, 10:04 PM
Furian
You Keep What You Kill
Originally Posted by bsfarmer
I think you have things confused...

A spool permanently locks everything together as one piece. It replaces your carrier and spider gears with one solid piece. You will have a locked up rear all the time no matter what. Like stated before you would not want this on anything driven on the street. You WILL break parts.

A Detroit locker will allow your axles to differentiate when turning, but will lock up under load. Still kinda rough on the road when turning under power.

A limited slip is just what the name says, provides limited slip to each side. Not a locker, but can have the same effect in most circumstances.

Whoops I guess someone beat me to it, good explanation on the locker furian!
Ha! I didn't realize that the Detroit Locker allows for wheel spin while turning... I may have to seriously consider the Detroit Locker for my rear axle.

Old 02-01-2010, 10:11 PM
abriel68
Senior User
perfect, you guys cleared up. i didnt realize that it allowed the two tires to turn at diff speeds. thanks i want a locker so looksl ike im goin with the detroit locker. thanks for the info.

Old 02-01-2010, 10:48 PM
03silverTJ
Senior User
Like what bsfarmer already mentioned the Detroit will lock both tires together while under load (i.e. on the gas pedal). So while cornering, the technique is to coast around the corner to allow the inside tire and outside tire to spin at different speeds. If you use the Detroit you will learn its characteristics and drive accordingly. Which is why most people use a limited slip if they drive on the street.

In my jeep I have a Tru-Trac in the rear and a lockright in the front. This combo works well on the street in 2wd because the front locker is getting no power therefore it is not locked.

Old 02-02-2010, 12:06 AM
thedaddycat
Posting Guru
There is another point to consider. The Detroit Locker is an automatic locker and will lock under load all the time. Eaton makes an E-Locker which acts as a LS diff unless engaged by an electromagnet. ARB makes an air locker and Ox makes a cable actuated locker. You have choices as to which way to go, which one best suits your driving style and needs.

The same holds true for LS diffs. Eaton and some other LS diffs use a stack of clutch discs, Auburn Gear has a cone clutch, and the Detroit Truetrac uses helical gears.

Quick Reply: locker, diffs question