Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-01-2010, 07:53 AM
Senior User

renchr56 is starting off with a positive reputation.
VACUUM PUMP

I've got a 2001 E-350 w/7.3. Does anyone know how much vacuum the pump puts out. The reason I'm asking is the brakes are hard to stop the vehicle. I replaced the booster and that helped with the hardness of the pedal but it didn't take care of the stopping. I still have to stand really hard on the pedal to get it to stop.
Old 02-01-2010, 08:14 AM
Hook it, I'll pull it.

miller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputation
Our trucks don't use vacuum to boost the brakes, it gets its boost from the powersteering pump. Be sure to use ATF in the powersteering pump, not powersteering fluid.
RICK, PAA MEMBER #4
2001, F-350, DRW. CC. LWB, 4X4, LARIAT,
MODS: 6637 W/Pete's cover, BTS-TRANS, DP-TUNER LIVE, MBRP 4" SS, Isspro 3 gauge kit, TN-BB turbo, Bellowed up pipes, HPX, TRU-COOL cooler, SS Stage II injectors, and the Chris-fifty.
Old 02-01-2010, 08:19 AM
aka Redneck Wrencher

mueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputation
Roland Mueck
I tried to find the vacuum specs on my Ford dvd manual, but I didn't. It's been quite a while since I worked on a 7.3 with the mechanical vacuum pump. I want to say less than 15 inches of vacuum will give you hard pedal problems. Have you installed a vacuum gauge to the pump and checked it yet? You could attach a hose to the pump's connection and draw on it to see if the diaphragm is ruptured. Are the HVAC vents functioning normally?
'01 F-250 Lariat CC SB 4x4, DP Tuner F6 (live tuned), AFE II w/ Pete's Cover, GTP38R w/ RR billet whl & cross drilled 1.0, 6.0 Techni-cooler, Full Force SS Injectors, Stealth HPOP, Fluidampr, Melling M-208, Walbro FP, mueckster Reg Return & Bowl delete, Comp Cams 910's, mueckster 4R100, 4" SS MBRP, 6.0 Trans Cooler, Truetrac rear ...SOLD...
Old 02-01-2010, 08:22 AM
Hook it, I'll pull it.

miller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by mueckster View Post
I tried to find the vacuum specs on my Ford dvd manual, but I didn't. It's been quite a while since I worked on a 7.3 with the mechanical vacuum pump. I want to say less than 15 inches of vacuum will give you hard pedal problems. Have you installed a vacuum gauge to the pump and checked it yet? You could attach a hose to the pump's connection and draw on it to see if the diaphragm is ruptured. Are the HVAC vents functioning normally?
Roland, how does vacuum effect the brake pedal?
RICK, PAA MEMBER #4
MODS: 6637 W/Pete's cover, BTS-TRANS, DP-TUNER LIVE, MBRP 4" SS, Isspro 3 gauge kit, TN-BB turbo, Bellowed up pipes, HPX, TRU-COOL cooler, SS Stage II injectors, and the Chris-fifty.
Old 02-01-2010, 08:24 AM
aka Redneck Wrencher

mueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputation
Roland Mueck
Rick,
He has an E-series van. Different animal. They have the vacuum assist brakes on the E-150 thru 350. E-450 has hydroboost.
'01 F-250 Lariat CC SB 4x4, DP Tuner F6 (live tuned), AFE II w/ Pete's Cover, GTP38R w/ RR billet whl & cross drilled 1.0, 6.0 Techni-cooler, Full Force SS Injectors, Stealth HPOP, Fluidampr, Melling M-208, Walbro FP, mueckster Reg Return & Bowl delete, Comp Cams 910's, mueckster 4R100, 4" SS MBRP, 6.0 Trans Cooler, Truetrac rear ...SOLD...
Old 02-01-2010, 08:28 AM
Hook it, I'll pull it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mueckster View Post
Rick,
He has an E-series van. Different animal. They have the vacuum assist brakes on the E-150 thru 350. E-450 has hydroboost.
lol, OK. I was wondering what the heck was going on. Didn't dought you, just wondering what I was missing.
RICK, PAA MEMBER #4
Old 02-01-2010, 09:07 AM
Senior User

Yeah it's been awhile since I've had to work on one of these as well. I do know that the vacuum I'm putting out definately isn't enough to get everything working the way it should as I only have 5 lbs. vacuum. But I do know that when I replaced the brake booster the pedal became softer. That is the reason for my question.
Old 02-01-2010, 09:25 AM
aka Redneck Wrencher

Roland Mueck
Sounds like the vacuum pump is next on the list.
Old 02-01-2010, 09:29 AM
Senior User

Yup sure does. It's gotta be that as everything else is working. When I get it swapped out will let you all know what the vacuum is
Old 02-01-2010, 09:36 AM
aka Redneck Wrencher

Roland Mueck
Cool! It's been over 10 yrs since I replaced one and I didn't bother to check the vacuum reading then. It will be some good info for the memory banks. We have a few vans, that we contract on, at our company. I can pass on the info to the mobile mechanics who work on them. I work on them, occasionally, when they come into our shop for service.
Old 02-01-2010, 01:32 PM
Senior User

Well the answer to my question is... New vacuum pump will put out between 25 - 27 in. vacuum. It was definately the vacuum pump. Thanks everyone
Old 02-01-2010, 09:49 PM
aka Redneck Wrencher

Roland Mueck
Glad to hear that fixed your problem.
Old 02-07-2010, 01:21 PM
New User

Dieselthree is starting off with a positive reputation.
Vacuum Pump failure

I have 2001 7.3 liter turbo diesel E-350. I have replaced the vacuum pump 4 times over the last four years. What causes the pump to fail?
Old 02-07-2010, 01:27 PM
Postmaster

Kajtek1 has a very good reputation on FTE.Kajtek1 has a very good reputation on FTE.Kajtek1 has a very good reputation on FTE.
What did fail?
Old 02-07-2010, 01:39 PM
New User

Dieselthree is starting off with a positive reputation.
pump starts to make a lot of noise. Lose pressure on brake pedal. The first press on the pedal has some pressure. The second has almost none. I have had it replaced at two different dealers hips and two different independent shops.
Old 02-07-2010, 01:39 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel

Tags
2003, 2005, 73l, 99, f250, f350, ford, location, mechanical, powerstroke, pump, reading, specifications, vacume, vacuum