1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

completely stock or reliable?

Old 02-01-2010, 12:29 AM
polarspeed
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
completely stock or reliable?

Hello, I am new to the forum. I have been interested in buying an old truck to restore to a daily driver. I am struggling with the idea of having a completely stock and true truck or a custom truck with stock styling but more modern engine and transmission.

I have driven a completely stock 1947 half ton with the flathead V8 and 3spd transmission that needs alot of TLC to make it safe and reliable. The ride made me smile and was very comfortable. The other truck that I drove in was a 1951 Ford F1 with a 302 windsor (1970) and 5 spd manual transmission (1989). It was very enjoyable but the suspension was much stiffer and harsh. The drivetrain and body were in much better condition.

Would you spend 6500 bucks on a 47 diamond in the rough or 4000 for a "custom" F1 with more modern equipment?

Here are links to the pictures...1947: MobileMe Gallery
1951: MobileMe Gallery

Additionally, Is the suspension of the F1's more stiff than the half tons of 1947? Is the suspension stiff due to front suspension problems that maintenance would improve? I am new to the mechanics but love the styling. I am eager to learn as much as I can to work on these trucks myself with the help of friends.

Thanks so much, Steve

Old 02-01-2010, 01:16 AM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Oh Steve what can I tell you except Welcome to FTE.

Since you asked for our opinion you'll probably get it. But since I got here first you'll have to suffer with my opinion first.

The bottom line is what we would do is not important. We all have individual tastes and requirements. Each of us thinks one thing is beautiful or pleasant to drive and the other thinks suffering through the pure restoration is it's own reward.

My best advice is this: If you are going to go through the emotional experience (and yes sir you will get very attached to your truck), expense (and yes no matter how "in the rough" what you buy is, you can expect to spend thousands in mods or customizing) and trouble ( repairs, parts, DMV, Family objections, etc) to get your self that one special truck, that one you have always wanted, then short of realistically recognizing your financial limit in the purchase, I would surely get the truck THAT YOU WANT.

It's like being single, wanting a little action, walking into a bar, and seeing blonds, brunettes, and redheads. There will be slim girls, built girls, quite and agressive girls. But one thing is certain - out of 100 diffeent girls, only one will catch your eye and your heart.

It's the same with your trucks - get the one you like the most and that you enjoy driving the most - every thing else is secondary. Finally buying an old truck like this is a dream finally come true. Don't settle for less.

In that light I have to share a story with you about somethng that happened to me two days ago. I was driving down a local road on my way to the Supermarket in my red oxide primered 51 F1. These two people in an Escalade with a little kid in the back pulled up next to me and were shouting and pointing at my truck. I immediately looked at my gauges to see if I was on fire or leaking something and tested the wheels to see if I had a flat tire.

I waved at the loonies (Arizona Tags) and proceeded on to the grocery. They pulled in behind me and stopped. The man behind the wheel jumped out and said "OMG we've been followining you for miles. Our little boy saw your truck and thought you were 'Mator' from 'Cars,' could we please take a picture of your truck."

Well, what woman can resist a compliment like that.

So, I discretely put the tire iron back under the seat and said "sure, no problem."

This kid was ADORABLE! He was about 3 years old, super excited and a fair bit nervous. "IT'S 'MATOR!!!!!" I asked them if he would like to sit in the drivers seat and poke his head out of the window. After about 10 pictures they were happy and drove off. Pictures of my truck and this kid are going to be on there frigerator and family album wall for the next 20 years! Is that cool or what? They're driving a brand new Escalade and getting a kick out of my 51 Ford F1 like I was Sponge Bob or something.

As they drove off a younger gal a few parking places down got out of her new Mercedez, walked by and said under her condecending jealous breath "why don't you sell that piece of old trash and buy a real car like a Mercedez?" I just laughed. My old truck get so much attention, no Mercedez competes. I mean she never got called "Mator." Although with her rear end maybe pumpkin would have worked well.....enough - back to the point.

Point is old trucks are cool- no matter what vitage or condition.

Get what YOU WANT and dont try to rationalize it - just do it. It will be one of the very few things that truly makes you happy!!!!!!!!!

AND, never sell it.

Old 02-01-2010, 07:57 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Welcome to FTE. There is little if any difference in the suspension of an F-1 compared to a 47 and there's a lot that can be done to improve the ride of either truck. YOU have to decide as to whether you want to go the rod or the stock route. As to whether you like the 47 or the 51 is also personal taste. Personally, I think the 46-47 trucks are some of the ugliest trucks Ford ever made so there would be no decision to make between the 47 and the 51 for me. I also like the reliability, ride, and handling of a truck with disc brakes, power steering, and enough horsepower to ride with modern traffic. You won't get that with a stock truck but you can have the best of both worlds by keeping the body stock and updating the drive train and suspension...

Old 02-01-2010, 08:45 AM
kdmcinnes
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Welcome aboard!

Stock can be just as reliable as custom, Just remember this one tid bit (Believe me I know) If you change one thing such as motor, it turns into 10 more things to make it all work! But that being said do what makes your heart feel good. alot of people here love the stockers, and a lot of people like the customs. I say get out the hack saw and have fun!

Kyle

Old 02-01-2010, 08:56 AM
Old F1
Cargo Master

Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by polarspeed
I am struggling with the idea of having a completely stock and true truck or a custom truck
WELCOME

You will not be able to drive a completely stock truck on the freeway for long, they just where not designed and built for that, parades, back roads and drives to town are its forte.

Which brings up the question of this stock thing, if you make modifications for the sake of safety (12 volt, brakes, diff change) is it still stock? Technically, not really, so depending on how important that is to you will determine if you want real stock or not. After the first mod, no matter how minor, it’s a slippery (great fun) slope from there on.

As some wiser person once said on here and to repeat what Julie said, if you build your truck to suite someone else, no one will be happy, if you build it to suite yourself, a least someone will always be happy.

Old 02-01-2010, 08:56 AM
petey shoes
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
steve, welcome to the gang. julie's right, go with your heart. vern---you're killing me!! lol

Old 02-01-2010, 09:05 AM
norvillebob
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
welcome to the forum. Both are in pretty good shape. you really need to decide what you plan to do with it? Driver or parades?

47 is nice but you be dumping piles more money into it to drive today's traffic. brakes, rear, tranny, wiring. ect...

51 already modded make it safe and go. then again it could be somebody's headache...

it's really your call Which do you like the looks of better? if your doing this for a deal both are a money pit. I would loved to have had the option of the 51 you posted. Mine was/is nearly all stock, I hate the thought of butchering up a easily restore- able truck, but it was the cleanest one I could fine.

Old 02-01-2010, 10:54 AM
larryb346
Laughing Gas
Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Will not get into the safety vs 12 volt?? or some of the other issues. I have a 46 mercury car totally original and drove it on a 1200 mile trip last year. Zero issues except a smile that prevented me from seeing very well. Every morning it popped to life after about 2 engine rev. and ran fine all day at 6o MPH and I averaged 17.3 over the trip. My mercury car is not a truck but the same will apply to any old vehicle. You drive it within it's limitations and it is safe. I grew up well before disk brakes and never ran into a car or tree because I couldn't stop. You need to get what you want and fix it how it makes you happy. MY 55 pickup has 302 ,volorie, vintage air and the list goes on. I didn't change all that because I didn't think the original 55 wasn't safe, I wanted the ability to be anywhere and go into a parts store and buy parts. I drive my old vehicles and plan on driving route 66 end to end in a couple years in my 55. A trip that long might require some parts along the way and wanted some more modern parts to be available.
As every one above said do what makes you feel good, but don't be afraid of driving a old original truck anywhere, just do it within limits of its design.
People drove coast to coast in model a's ,and these old trucks when they were new, and you can do the same today, just not on interstates.

Old 02-01-2010, 11:03 AM
ksmith203
Posting Guru
Welcome, We love pictures so you are already a hit with us! I agree with what everyone is telling you. Do what you want and enjoy doing it! no monetary value can be put on that first drive you take when you have put so much time and effort into it. These trucks are combination of work, aggrevation, and admiration so as others have said you will never forget the experience!

Old 02-01-2010, 11:49 AM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Originally Posted by larryb346
Will not get into the safety vs 12 volt?? or some of the other issues. I have a 46 mercury car totally original and drove it on a 1200 mile trip last year. Zero issues except a smile that prevented me from seeing very well. Every morning it popped to life after about 2 engine rev. and ran fine all day at 6o MPH and I averaged 17.3 over the trip. My mercury car is not a truck but the same will apply to any old vehicle. You drive it within it's limitations and it is safe. I grew up well before disk brakes and never ran into a car or tree because I couldn't stop. You need to get what you want and fix it how it makes you happy. MY 55 pickup has 302 ,volorie, vintage air and the list goes on. I didn't change all that because I didn't think the original 55 wasn't safe, I wanted the ability to be anywhere and go into a parts store and buy parts. I drive my old vehicles and plan on driving route 66 end to end in a couple years in my 55. A trip that long might require some parts along the way and wanted some more modern parts to be available.
As every one above said do what makes you feel good, but don't be afraid of driving a old original truck anywhere, just do it within limits of its design.
People drove coast to coast in model a's ,and these old trucks when they were new, and you can do the same today, just not on interstates.
Very well said! I can't add a word, except to say welcome to FTE and '47's aren't ugly.

Old 02-01-2010, 12:39 PM
Dicky Bravo
Junior User
I would decide on what you want first and then go out and look for that particular truck. When I started my search for an old truck I actually preferred the 42-47 Fords, but after test driving several I found that I was too tall for that model. I'm 6'3" and sitting in the stock seat put my eye line about three inches above the front window... oh well. I switched to the bonus builts and, after driving several, found I preffered the 51-52 model because of the larger back-window (I like both grilles equally). I was also looking for a particular style (lots of patina but mechanically sound and as original as possible). After about six months of searching I found "my truck". And of course, after several months of driving it around, I am contemplating some minor upgrades (seat belts and 3.54 gears, maybe a synchroed tranny if I can find one cheap), but, most important to me, it looks like how I wanted it to look and runs just fine (I don't use it as a daily driver as I take the subway to work).

So, I would sit back and think about what you really want first and about what would make you happy, and then go look for a truck... That way you can also plan a preliminary budget for the financial side before you get in over your head. Also, there's a ton of these things out there and there will always be another one for sale when/if you pass on the current one. Test drive test drive test drive.

One thing I noticed in my search was that there is a lot more aftermarket support for the 48-52s than the 42-47s, and for the V8s than the 6s.

Old 02-01-2010, 02:33 PM
Herbiehusker
Senior User
Welcome to FTE. As you are quickly finding out, this place is very valuable to anyone who owns an old Ford truck.

Deep down in your gut you have a feeling and you KNOW which one of the trucks you want. Go with that feeling.....you won't be sorry.

Julie!!!! You made my day with that story. I was smiling while I read it and I'm still smiling while I write this. Thanks for sharing!!!! That's what old trucks are all about!!!!

Old 02-01-2010, 03:23 PM
My Ford Truck
Senior User
Welcome Steve!

How about...BOTH! You could drive one and fix one. Best of both worlds!

'47's and '51/'52's are beautiful trucks. (They were my choice until coming across a '55 for a hundred bucks.)

Good luck on whichever you end up with and there are some real smart people on here to help you.

Have fun!

Old 02-01-2010, 03:42 PM
Stephen67
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
If you want it for a daily driver I think you'd be happier with something with more modern equipment. You may find quickly that you want to change some things if you're driving it daily and if it's concour that can make you not want to. If you plan on going over 50, espcially daily, you're going to want to make some real changes.

Personally I enjoy the freedom of not being concour, but if I was restoring a truck and not using it for a daily driver, thats a totally different experience. All about what you want. And don't rush the choice, lots of trucks pop up, the right one will be there at the right time.

Welcome aboard!

Old 02-02-2010, 12:21 AM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,421 Likes on 1,377 Posts
There's a lot of great advice here. I'll just add that you've really got to want to have an all original, stock rig to have one for a daily driver. Not that there's anything wrong with them, but they are night and day from what we're used to today. That is why there is such a popularity for modifying them. It gives one the ability to be "stylin" while having the comforts of speed, reliability and handling we've grown accustomed to.

If the engine swap was well done in the 51, it sounds like a much better deal than the 47, looks and styling aside. Without driving them myself, it's hard to know how stiff they really ride. I wouldn't let that be a dealbreaker, personally. There's all sorts of things you can do with springs and suspension to have them ride butter smooth.

Bottom line is, don't rush into anything, as Stephen mentioned. Know what you truly want and make a plan to go in that direction.

Good luck with your decision, Steve.

Search this Thread