1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

completely stock or reliable?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 12:41 AM
polarspeed
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thank you!

Wow! I want to thank everyone for their insight, humor and friendliness. I have decided to purchase the 51 and she is sitting in front of my house. I keep looking out the window at her. It was so much fun driving her home. I am excited about getting lost in the wiring and other issues that need to be nailed down. I will certainly come back and provide updates. I am working on her name.

I am a pediatrician and the Tow Mator story was so awesome. I am planning on having the truck as an extension of my art. It should be quite interesting. I plan to keep the exterior styling stock but make the mechanics as safe and functional as possible. The interior could get a bit funky.

Thanks again and look forward to future discussions.

Steve

Old 02-02-2010, 04:37 AM
norvillebob
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
in my neck of the woods it looks like you got a real sweat deal..

PS fill out all you profile and start posting to get you number up to 25

bob

Old 02-02-2010, 06:24 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,616 Likes on 1,456 Posts
To Bob, the curator and promoter of 48-50 Fords:

I can't believe you haven't chimed in yet! Aren't you gonna tell Julie that her truck looks like 'Mater 'cause those '51 and '52's have those big buck teeth?

Julie, this is not me talking, I like the grille. But I am sure Bob would say that! heck, he might even photoshop something.

Old 02-02-2010, 07:12 PM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by abe
To Bob, the curator and promoter of 48-50 Fords:

I can't believe you haven't chimed in yet! Aren't you gonna tell Julie that her truck looks like 'Mater 'cause those '51 and '52's have those big buck teeth?

Julie, this is not me talking, I like the grille. But I am sure Bob would say that! heck, he might even photoshop something.
Tee hee I know! I actually like both styles. But just out of a sense of loyalty to the 51/52 side, I have to poke every now and then.

There's another thread currently going with the "Buck Tooth" and "Monkey Face" pictures going back and forth.

If it gets really rotten, I have links to threads where both he and Bobby have said they like the "Dagmared Grilles" too. But those big guns haven't been necessary so far!

Shoot, I'm even starting to like the stock 54 grille! YIKES! But I will NEVER get used to the 46/47 grill!

Old 02-02-2010, 07:41 PM
woodyf1
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
welcome imho customs the way to go unless you want to park it in a museum after the parade the 51 sounds cool i am biased of course custom gines you the canvas with which you create your own rendition of an already cool truck be creative be enthusiastic and have a good time remember if you enjoy the build you will enjoy the ride GOD GLESS

Old 02-02-2010, 08:37 PM
ct50f1
More Turbo
Received 42 Likes on 22 Posts
I agree with what's been said already - do what makes you happy.

I prefer to keep things stock so my preference would be for the '47. However, at 6'4" I've got the same problem as Dicky Bravo. I originally consider a Model "A" truck but I don't fit. I also found that even in an F-1, if it has the shift on the column there's no room for my leg when it's in third gear.

If I was going to modify the truck, I'd look for one that hadn't already been done by someone else. One reason is it's sometimes hard to figure out if the person who built it knew what he was doing. Also, doing the work yourself is half the fun. The other half is driving the finished product as Julie pointed out.

Old 02-02-2010, 10:44 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,450 Likes on 1,397 Posts
Originally Posted by polarspeed
Wow! I want to thank everyone for their insight, humor and friendliness. I have decided to purchase the 51 and she is sitting in front of my house. I keep looking out the window at her. It was so much fun driving her home.

Thanks again and look forward to future discussions.

Steve

Congratulations, Steve! FWIW, I think you made the right choice. We're looking forward to your updates.

Old 02-03-2010, 04:03 AM
55 f350
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
as everyone said do what you want . my truck is mostly stock , for now and outside of crap wiring that has been pulled out it is / was dependable . now that its down i've had all sorts of crazy brain farts which are leading to building another truck that will be an out and out hot rod as i just cant hack the ol' girl up . she is however going to get disc brakes , power rack and pinion , and a 3.08 geared 8.8 diff so i can go down the highway and show all the new trucks how to do it in style !!!!!!!!!!!! julie i can so relate , as so many others on here . the looks from the lil kids and the questions , the thumbs up ............. it's too dain much fun !!!!!!!!!!!! it gets crappy fuel mileage but makes up for it in smiles per mile !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-03-2010, 10:48 AM
Rokcrln
Senior User
Good choice on the 51 I think you will be happy with it (in between the frustration bouts ) for years to come. I also have a 51 and after a motor , trans swap, IFS, IRS and all new wiring for more modern driving as well as just a lot of fun. I took my 2 1/2 year old son for his first ride last week (it is his truck) and when we got home I asked him what he thought and he also said "It's Tow-mator" and that made my day.

Kevin
LFD Inc.

Attached Images  
Old 02-03-2010, 11:43 AM
husker
Hotshot
Received 31 Likes on 31 Posts
Kevin, you can't beat that with any amount of money. You can't buy or sell that on Barrett/Jackson.

Look at that smile.

Old 02-04-2010, 08:12 AM
Big IV
Senior User
I agree with the do what you want to do attitude. This thread made me smile because me and my Dad are having the same discussion. I want to get my project truck rolling and start driving while I take care of the rest going down the road. I'm starting stock and slowly mine will transform. My Dad on the other hand thinks that if I don't go ahead and have power steering and some other goodies installed this won't ever be drivable.

Do what suits you. But most importantly enjoy the ride.

Old 02-04-2010, 08:19 AM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Bone-stock, with 6v generator, points, etc, have been driven by several on the forums I frequent with normal '50's maintenance (more than we are used to, but not bad). I chose to go 12v w/alt, electronic ignition, electric fuel pump, and a gear reduction starter. I have never had a breakdown, or a failure to start. I don't go on the freeways due to gearing, and really have no desire to. Any speed up to 50 - 55 is completely do-able, if everything is in good shape. I drive it to work (15 miles each way) on secondary roads about once a week, and use it for weekend errands. You don't need PS unless you are running wide tires IMO.

I believe MTFlat has about worn out his F-2 (stock) driving it daily for 10+ yrs.!

Old 02-04-2010, 09:31 AM
chappys4life
Tuned
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
For the people who say you cant drive an old f1 or f100 daily that is stock daily your crazy. I have a 53 f100 239 flathead all stock. Still 6v, points, stock rear, stock interior, drums all the way around, and even stock oil filter setup. Only thing modern is bear claw latches on doors.

I have daily driven the truck for just shy of a year now. I do own a motorcycle I drive here and there but my truck is my true daily. Now it does have rebuilt brakes, newer water pumps, rebuild carb, rebuilt starter, tune up when I got. I do keep spare points, condenser, and cap in glove box. Regular oil changes and and adjust brakes every oil change (drums are not auto adjusting)

In a year I have broke down twice though. Starter got rebuilt and door latches got changed. So all in all not bad for how much I drive it. Now highways are a semi tricky thing but debating about either a t5 swap or 9" rear in the summer replacement.

Old 02-05-2010, 12:02 AM
mtflat
Lead Driver

Received 332 Likes on 256 Posts
Ross is right - (it's my 48 F1 that I abuse) and it has proved that freshly rebuilt stock and reliable are the same thing! No need for fancy upgrades to run these today. Only concessions I made were a rear end swap so I could get road gears (9" 3.50 gets it done), 12V cause I wanted to and radial LT tires.

I've put close to 100,000 miles in the last 10 years on a used engine. Generator, single master cylinder, stock carburator, fuel tank behind the seat, straight axle, drum brakes, stock steering gearbox, etc. etc.

You want to upgrade the systems, go ahead - but don't kid yourself that you're making it more "reliable".

Stock has started at -30F. I've driven it from Montana to Ohio and back, via Denver and Wichita one way and past Chicago the other way. Been in Canada with it and to Washington multiple times. Up and over mountain passes in Montana and Colorado.

First year was a continual shake-down cruise with a few glitches showing up here and there, but after that I could/can get in and drive it anywhere. Still can except for excessive blow-by cause the flathead needs a little tlc.