6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Bad Fuel/Injectors/Something else? HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 10:13 PM
Smokey1
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bad Fuel/Injectors/Something else? HELP!

2003 6.0, 220kms, bone stock, stock head gaskets, Injectors, only thing changed is ICP sensor/EGR/Fuel Pump..

90% of the time the truck runs great, but occasionally i will lose all power, if i pull over it will barely idle, sounds terrible, and basically won't move. If i let it run for a few mins, it will correct itself, and like a light switch it's good to go. However if i shut it off, it won't start for a half hour..

It was doing this about a year ago, took it to Ford, and they couldn't find a fault, injectors buzz tested fine, HPOP system wasn't leaking, so i told them to reflash to the inductive heating flash and its' been fine since march 09, in the last few weeks it has started acting up again.

I ran fuel twice from a different station, and it seems to be since then that i've been having problems, but i filled up at the same time as a buddy with an 08 Dodge diesel and he hasn't had any issues.

I guess my question is, could my truck be that picky about fuel, and could bad fuel cause these issues, or is it just a coincidence?

BTW, i pulled these codes, most of them are junk codes from the low idle/low boost when it acts up, i don't see anything that tells me anything, maybe someone else does

P0125
Po196
p0234
p0299
p0357
p0443
p0455
p0736
p1143
u0001
u0101

Old 01-31-2010, 10:14 PM
Smokey1
Senior User
I should add, i'm **** about maintenance, Oil and fuel filters are always changed every 5000kms, and i always use genuine ford filters

Old 01-31-2010, 11:02 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,478 Likes on 1,718 Posts
When you say the EGR was worked on, do you mean the valve or the cooler (or both)? When was it worked on and what was done?

Do you have a way to check fuel pressure?

Old 01-31-2010, 11:07 PM
Smokey1
Senior User
Egr valve was replaced about 60k ago..Last year when it acted up I pulled it, cleaned it and it made no difference.

I have no way to check fuel pressure

Also, when it acts up, there is no smoke, and no CEL, even if i rev it up, there is no abnormal smoke.

Old 01-31-2010, 11:36 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Have you checked for wire chaffing? There are multiple areas on the 2003's that are common for these issues.

The P0196 is the oil temperature sensor low.

P0299 is underboost - book says possibly the EBP sensor, but it has probably been ignored since it is a 2003 and you have had a recet flash. It could be the VGT actuator.

what oil do you use?

Also - you might consider looking into getting a fuel pressure gauge.

Old 01-31-2010, 11:36 PM
theonlypheonix
Mountain Pass
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
if I were a betting man I might guess the FICM It takes electronics to be intermittent and you end up with some really flakey unexplainable problems. One would expect some of the more common CEL codes though, maybe the failure is such that the FICM is getting sort of paralized and can not record the codes properly? Yes there is also the chaffing issue.

Old 01-31-2010, 11:39 PM
Smokey1
Senior User
I mentioned wire chaffing at the dealer and the tech told me he looked it over.. And i forgot, the FICM has been replaced under warranty a while ago.

I assumed the underboost code would be triggered when it started acting up at highway speed when i have to keep it at full throttle until i can pull over, just to keep enough speed, and the turbo obviously wouldn't be creating enough boost for the load the engine is seeing, but i could be way off, i'm not a 6.0 Tech, although i've almost had to become one with this bloody thing.

Old 01-31-2010, 11:40 PM
Smokey1
Senior User
And i Use Rotella 10w30 Diesel

Old 01-31-2010, 11:55 PM
Smokey1
Senior User
Willl something like this suffice? Is there a port i can leave it in permanently?

Car Vehicle Pressure Gauge 0-60 PSI for Fuel Oil Tire - eBay (item 400099495752 end time Feb-24-10 01:24:36 PST)

Old 02-04-2010, 01:15 AM
Smokey1
Senior User
Bump, anyone?

Old 02-04-2010, 03:26 AM
el boricua
Junior User
The one you need have to be an electronic one. You install a sensor on the engine, run the wires inside the cab and install the gauge inside the cab so next time you have a problem can check your pressure at the moment. There is a port on the secondary fuel filter on the engine that is plugged with an allen screw that you could use.

Good Luck,

Old 02-04-2010, 06:41 AM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by el boricua
The one you need have to be an electronic one. You install a sensor on the engine, run the wires inside the cab and install the gauge inside the cab so next time you have a problem can check your pressure at the moment. There is a port on the secondary fuel filter on the engine that is plugged with an allen screw that you could use.

Good Luck,
Definitely agree.

Smokey1

Getting the ITP hose will help also. It connects to the port on the secondary fuel filter and moves the point that you install the pressure sensor away from the engine. It has a schraeder valve on it to bleed off the air in the line. You can do a quick search for the ITP web site.

You can get this hose and just use the manual gauge you mentioned, but then you can not check the fuel pressure at WOT (wide open throttle). If you go w/ just a manual valve, it will give you a quick check to see if the HFCM pump is extremely bad, or something is plugged. You need to see AT LEAST 50 psig at idle. Getting the electronic gauge that runs into the cab will give you what you need to evaluate performance at WOT. You could have a weak pump or a weak spring in the pressure regulator.

I know it is somewhat expensive, but it is extremely valuable on these engines. It is also vary hard to troubleshoot over the internet, unless you have a way to start getting codes and lots of performance data. To me it sounds like chaffing or perhaps an issue w/ the high pressure oil system.

I would suggest that you check for wire chaffing yourself even though the dealership did it. I can post some links in a little while that show you where to look (OR .... you can look at my "no start" check list in the Tech Folder. They are listed there - along with quite a few other good tips).

Old 02-14-2010, 03:10 AM
Smokey1
Senior User
Ok, i've been doing some more research, and i'm thinking it's probably a bad/plugged IPR, does this seem to fit the bill?

I should add, when it's acting up, if i rev it up, it's got a miss in the 2700-3500Rpm range..This was something Bismarc posted in another thread that really has me thinking it could be my issue

Old 02-14-2010, 06:09 AM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by Smokey1
Ok, i've been doing some more research, and i'm thinking it's probably a bad/plugged IPR, does this seem to fit the bill?

I should add, when it's acting up, if i rev it up, it's got a miss in the 2700-3500Rpm range..This was something Bismarc posted in another thread that really has me thinking it could be my issue
I guess it could, but if the IPR screen is plugged and/or damaged, the HPOP is likely to require changing. You are correct if you are thinking that the "no-start when hot" is a clue that often times points to something in the high pressure oil system.

FYI - This is why I was mentioning the wire chaffing (Also, IPR harness chaffing is fairly common):

Wiring Harness Chafing:
Some 03/04 trucks with the 6.0 may exhibit a crank/no start, rough running, misfire, buck/jerk or lack of power. This may be due to the FICM harness chafing on a valve cover stud near the FICM. Other potential locations for chafing are where the harness routes past the EBP sensor, the belt idler on the driver side of the engine, the glow plug control module bracket on the passenger side of the engine, and the accelerator pedal sensor wires at the steering column (adjustable pedals only). Reroute and repair the harness as necessary. Broadcast Message 0918/1374, SSM #17522.

Here is a TSB that may help (even though it was directed at a different model year):

2005 Trucks, Crank/No Start, Hard Start, Runs Runs Rough at Idle:
Pickups and vans built before 4-15-05 and Excursions built between 1-10 and 4-15-05 may exhibit hard or no start conditions with a low ICP signal, or a rough idle with a high ICP signal. This may be due to a damaged high pressure oil pump and/or IPR valve. The IPR valve should be removed (mounted on HPOP cover under the turbo) and inspected for a damaged inlet screen or debris on over half the screen. If either condition is present, the IPR (5C3Z-9C968-CA) and the high pressure oil pump (5C3Z-9A543-AA) should be replaced, along with the oil and oil filter. If neither condition is present, continue with normal diagnosis. If a rough idle is present after replacing the above parts, injector damage may have occurred. TSB 50-12-3.

I have heard of this tip before, you might want to try it:

Do a slow run up in park to 4000 rpms. If the truck starts to break up and run rough between 3000-4000 rpms and/or the rpms exceed 4000 rpms then the IPR is suspect.

Old 02-14-2010, 10:48 AM
Smokey1
Senior User
Just gave that a shot. The truck breaks up at about 23-2500 rpms, over that it's fine, and it will not go above 4000

Quick Reply: Bad Fuel/Injectors/Something else? HELP!