Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Diesel Fuel Gel test - Pwr Srvc, Howe's, Schaeffer

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 09:07 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 782 Likes on 595 Posts
Looks like straight #1 is the way to go in winter over there.

Old 12-15-2010, 09:41 AM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Izzy351
Would it be asking too much to put a couple quarts of oil out there as well, and do a pour test while taking a video of it? I'd like to see Schaeffer 7000, 9000, syn & dino Rotella, and say, Motorcraft, Delo, and Mobil1 & Delvac. I'd even help finance the experiment, if you'd like. I've been wanting to do a vid of just dino & syn Rotella, but you have an "advantage" of colder temps than my freezer makes.
Getting ready to do some more playing/testing Joe - should be hitting those freeze yur **** off temps soon............

Old 12-15-2010, 10:06 AM
superduty4x4
Hotshot
Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts
Thanks for bringing this one back up Rich, there is some good info here. It particularly caught my attention because my OBS gelled on me last week. Here in WA all #2 at the pumps has 5% bio in it and I believe its been that way for at least 2 years now. When I owned my SD I never had a gelling issue (or even a hint of one) once. When it got down right cold here for a few days in November my OBS never missed a lick. Last week I drove to work at 6:30 AM and all was well. Phone rings at 8:00 AM- wife's car has a dead battery so I set off for home (outside temp had gone from 15°F to 19°F) and my truck died on me. When I popped the fuel bowl lid off the fuel in the bowl was liquid but had wax crystals floating in it. It took a bottle of diesel 911 and several hours before I finally got it started, and a tow to the office to throw the batteries on the charger. Not sure what caused the problem, but now I'm trying to do my homework. I have always run DK gray bottle (yes, I know...) year round and never had a problem in sub or near zero temps before.

Old 12-15-2010, 10:21 AM
Fishin76
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think I had some gelled fuel the last couple days, as I couldn't start up in <10 degrees. Using B10 from BP here, so last night i added a double dose of white bottle DK and ran the fuel pump 5 or six times to push it though the system.

It seemed to have worked, as It started up like normal this morning.

Old 12-15-2010, 10:39 AM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by superduty4x4
Thanks for bringing this one back up Rich, there is some good info here. It particularly caught my attention because my OBS gelled on me last week. Here in WA all #2 at the pumps has 5% bio in it and I believe its been that way for at least 2 years now. When I owned my SD I never had a gelling issue (or even a hint of one) once. When it got down right cold here for a few days in November my OBS never missed a lick. Last week I drove to work at 6:30 AM and all was well. Phone rings at 8:00 AM- wife's car has a dead battery so I set off for home (outside temp had gone from 15°F to 19°F) and my truck died on me. When I popped the fuel bowl lid off the fuel in the bowl was liquid but had wax crystals floating in it. It took a bottle of diesel 911 and several hours before I finally got it started, and a tow to the office to throw the batteries on the charger. Not sure what caused the problem, but now I'm trying to do my homework. I have always run DK gray bottle (yes, I know...) year round and never had a problem in sub or near zero temps before.
It's a hard to diagnose the exact cause Chase, and it can be damn frustrating. Minnesota has had a 2% bio requirement for a few years also, there has also been talk of bumping it up to 5%. Last year there were quite a few gelling and ice problems due to some lower than normal temps so they temporarily suspended the 2% bio requirement for some fuels. Bio can easily cause gelling problems during the cold temps and depending on the source - bio can turn to applesauce above freezing. Then there is the issue of the diesel fuel and how the additives react with different refining processes.

What comes to mind are two options.....

1.) have the fuel tested. Cost about $35 and takes a week to get the results. This option works well for those that have fuel tanks like farmers, construction companies, etc.....

2.) The jar test. Take some of your fuel and stick it outide in the cold. Might yield some interesting results.

Old 12-15-2010, 10:48 AM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Chase,

Do any of the stations you fuel up at have #1 diesel? A 20% mix (20% of #1 and 80% of #2) can drop the gell point almost 10 degrees.

Old 12-15-2010, 10:56 AM
superduty4x4
Hotshot
Originally Posted by white Buffalo
Chase,

Do any of the stations you fuel up at have #1 diesel? A 20% mix (20% of #1 and 80% of #2) can drop the gell point almost 10 degrees.
Not that I'm aware of, but the card lock station in town may have #1. I live in Podunk USA so choices are limited.
The fuel that gelled on me has already been run through the motor. So far so good on this tank but I just filled up a few days ago. I need to change my fuel filter, I've got terrible throttle response initially but it goes away after just a short bit. Unfortunately I don't know anyone else in town that owns a diesel to see if others have had gelling issues, but I haven't seen any trucks except my own parked on the side of the road with the hood up

Old 12-15-2010, 11:07 AM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by superduty4x4
Not that I'm aware of, but the card lock station in town may have #1. I live in Podunk USA so choices are limited.
The fuel that gelled on me has already been run through the motor. So far so good on this tank but I just filled up a few days ago. I need to change my fuel filter, I've got terrible throttle response initially but it goes away after just a short bit. Unfortunately I don't know anyone else in town that owns a diesel to see if others have had gelling issues, but I haven't seen any trucks except my own parked on the side of the road with the hood up
Definitely change out the fuel filter. Products like 911 and Diesel Hot Line do the job but once wax crystals get absorbed into the filter media it should be replaced.

Old 12-15-2010, 11:24 AM
superduty4x4
Hotshot
Definitely change out the fuel filter. Products like 911 and Diesel Hot Line do the job but once wax crystals get absorbed into the filter media it should be replaced.
I know the filter needs to be changed. My round tuit is scheduled for delivery today so hopefully I can get the filter swapped out tonight

Old 12-15-2010, 11:52 AM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
cool! I need a "round tuit" coin!!!!!!!!

Old 12-15-2010, 12:31 PM
superduty4x4
Hotshot
cool! I need a "round tuit" coin!!!!!!!!
Why settle for just one?

(20) ROUND TUIT, A ROUND TUIT A ROUND TO IT - eBay (item 220706495860 end time Jan-03-11 15:06:18 PST)

I actually ordered a set of these for a Christmas gift for someone else

Old 12-06-2011, 07:26 PM
tdpower
Postmaster
Good reminder think about winter diesel! Bump

Old 01-04-2014, 01:18 PM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Arctic Blast

here we go - time for a quick reminder before this Arctic Blast hits this week........remember, for an anti-gelling additive to be effective it must me in the fuel before the fuel hits it's cloud point (@ 15 degrees F).

Old 01-10-2014, 11:35 AM
Jud x
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well Rich. I should have been a little more proactive so I would not have to be reactive. I just found this thread. First winter with a diesel. I've been using Howe's and filling up at Cubby's on 12th just east of I29. Had no problem til this last blast. Apparently I didn't have enough mixed. Started her up to head to work, idled, high idled, left for work and didn't make it two blocks. Did the romps romps home. Thanks for the great write up. So what's your mix presently for cold and flippying frozen cold? Should a guy just run #1? Thanks

Old 01-10-2014, 08:44 PM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Hey Jud! Good to hear from you........ Cool, somebody else from Sioux Falls (SuFu), ......

I haven't had a problem when we get the normal -5F to -10F in January or February. But when it gets -15F to -20F I don't like to take a chance so lately I will put a 50/50 mix of #1 and #2 if the forecast looks nasty cold.

Give me a shout sometime. I have Auto Enginuity so if you have problems and need to pull codes or something, just send me a PM or e-mail......

Quick Reply: Diesel Fuel Gel test - Pwr Srvc, Howe's, Schaeffer