Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-01-2010, 06:10 AM
Post Fiend

Kwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputation
http://www.facebook.com/http://facebook.com/Kwikkordead#!/Kwikkordead
Interesting stuff.
Do you have some #1 diesel to try that out with?
Also, I'm seeing a mod possibility for those of you that have to live in those frigid conditions.
It would involve some real engineering, but if one could work out a way to have the pickup floating on the end of a lever similar in fashion to the fuel pickup, you could make sure that the only fuel getting to the engine no matter what temperature it is, is clear.
EDIT.
Maybe a wasted effort.
Once the truck is moving it would stir up all those wax crystals and mix it into the top half of the fuel anyway.
2000 VW Passat 1.8t Tiptronic. ZZOOOOOMMMM!!!
You cannot explain or explain away the power of God.
Old 02-01-2010, 07:13 AM
Post Fiend

Talyn has much to be proud ofTalyn has much to be proud ofTalyn has much to be proud ofTalyn has much to be proud ofTalyn has much to be proud ofTalyn has much to be proud ofTalyn has much to be proud ofTalyn has much to be proud of
I wish we had a tank heater.

I was thinking it would be neat to modify some sorta heat probe for oil to the bottom of the tank to keep the fuel warm.
1994 F250 XLT 4x4 Standard Cab - T-444E Direct Injection Turbo Diesel, 5 SPD M/T Z/F S5-420, Rosewood 160cc Stage 1's, PHP Tuner, 6637, Short Throw Shift Kit, Valair Kevlar/Ceramic, 140V IDM, T-500, 285/75/16 Cooper Discoverer ATR. Steyr C9-A1.
You can get more with a kind word and a 2x4 than you can with just a kind word.
Old 02-01-2010, 09:05 AM
Still learning every day!

F250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputation
Rich, rep police have me locked up for now. Excellent work and great visual info. This should be very helpful for lots of folks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwikkordead View Post
Interesting stuff.
...Once the truck is moving it would stir up all those wax crystals and mix it into the top half of the fuel anyway.
Yep... and like Rich said earlier, the agitation of moving also reduces the potential for wax crystal formation and helps redissolve those which are forming or have formed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talyn View Post

I was thinking it would be neat to modify some sorta heat probe for oil to the bottom of the tank to keep the fuel warm.
That would be good for startup conditions, but since diesel is more flammable than oil (especially synthetic oils), I would be seriously concerned about three issues:
1. creating a flammable condition,
3. managing a leak-proof penetration through the OEM double-wall polymer tanks.
2. potentially comprising the polymer tank's structural integrity with an external tank wrap, even though an external wrap would be safer from a flammability standpoint.

Metal tanks wold create a better potential, but once you're past the starup condition, you also already have the warmed fuel re-entering the tank through the fuel return line in addition to the agitation from the truck's movement.

Just a few thoughts.
Pete (F250_) -- PAA#19
'02 F250 PSD, CC, SB, XLT, 2WD: 252K miles
Basic, low cost, not really performance enhancing mods.
'03 Excursion (Eddie Bauer) PSD, 2WD, 176K miles - Stock.
http://guzzle.rbmicro.com/7pt3/Mods.html
Old 02-01-2010, 09:11 AM
Postmaster

03_PSD has a great reputation on FTE.03_PSD has a great reputation on FTE.03_PSD has a great reputation on FTE.03_PSD has a great reputation on FTE.
Great post Rich!
Old 02-01-2010, 09:34 AM
Post Fiend

Talyn has much to be proud ofTalyn has much to be proud ofTalyn has much to be proud ofTalyn has much to be proud ofTalyn has much to be proud ofTalyn has much to be proud ofTalyn has much to be proud ofTalyn has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by F250_ View Post
That would be good for startup conditions, but since diesel is more flammable than oil (especially synthetic oils), I would be seriously concerned about three issues:
1. creating a flammable condition,
3. managing a leak-proof penetration through the OEM double-wall polymer tanks.
2. potentially comprising the polymer tank's structural integrity with an external tank wrap, even though an external wrap would be safer from a flammability standpoint.

Metal tanks wold create a better potential, but once you're past the starup condition, you also already have the warmed fuel re-entering the tank through the fuel return line in addition to the agitation from the truck's movement.

Just a few thoughts.
I got OBS, so metal tanks.
but anyways.
I never thought about the return fuel being warm. Hmm. Guess you dont think of simple things sometimes.

And as far as I know, heat wont ignite diesel fuel unless your sticking a red cherry in there. EEP!
Otherwise the OBS fuel bowl heater would turn the fuel bowl into a fire bowl.
I belive the SD's have a bit different setup. My heater is removed. I actually dont have any issues with startup either. Specially in this cold weather we have been having.
1994 F250 XLT 4x4 Standard Cab - T-444E Direct Injection Turbo Diesel, 5 SPD M/T Z/F S5-420, Rosewood 160cc Stage 1's, PHP Tuner, 6637, Short Throw Shift Kit, Valair Kevlar/Ceramic, 140V IDM, T-500, 285/75/16 Cooper Discoverer ATR. Steyr C9-A1.
You can get more with a kind word and a 2x4 than you can with just a kind word.
Old 02-01-2010, 11:21 AM

F250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputation
You're right, but I wasn't thinking about the temperature from the heater being the ignition source. However, if there was ever any corrosion-induced electrical short, then that could lead to a different story.

Still, I'll admit that the chances of that are probably virtually non-existent, but I can't help but consider all the remote possibilities due to my safety training days in highly hazardous manufacturing processes where the freaky, odd, and even "impossible" situations do sometimes occur, and the potential impact of those situations can easily be of the magnitude of what happened in Bopal, India.
Pete (F250_) -- PAA#19
Old 02-01-2010, 11:25 AM
PAA Member #7 and FTE

twags6 has a very good reputation on FTE.twags6 has a very good reputation on FTE.twags6 has a very good reputation on FTE.twags6 has a very good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Once the truck is moving it would stir up all those wax crystals and mix it into the top half of the fuel anyway.
How about some type of mixing device that would stir up the fuel before starting the fuel pump on cold days?
PAA Member #7
Old 02-01-2010, 01:07 PM
Posting Guru

farmb0y has a great reputation on FTE.farmb0y has a great reputation on FTE.farmb0y has a great reputation on FTE.farmb0y has a great reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talyn View Post

Hot Fox In-Tank/In-Line Fuel Warmer with Shut-Off Thermostat - PartsSystems

I just put one of these in my semi, since it's cold blooded and I can't seem to get additive to work as well as I want. So far it seems to work, but I should probably put one in the other tank so they are both heated. Don't know if they make them for pickups. But I've never had a problem with my pickup gelling, knock on wood...
Old 02-01-2010, 01:12 PM
Post Fiend

Izzy351 has much to be proud ofIzzy351 has much to be proud ofIzzy351 has much to be proud ofIzzy351 has much to be proud ofIzzy351 has much to be proud ofIzzy351 has much to be proud ofIzzy351 has much to be proud ofIzzy351 has much to be proud ofIzzy351 has much to be proud ofIzzy351 has much to be proud of
Just wrap your tank in an electric blanket.
Old 02-01-2010, 01:50 PM
ain't wrapped tight

clux has a superb reputationclux has a superb reputationclux has a superb reputationclux has a superb reputationclux has a superb reputationclux has a superb reputationclux has a superb reputationclux has a superb reputationclux has a superb reputationclux has a superb reputationclux has a superb reputation
Regulated return is the best solution to gelling I have found.

After I did the pre-pump & in tank, I would gel any time it got below 10*. After the regulated return I've had no gel issues at any temperature down to -24*.
Old 02-01-2010, 02:07 PM
Postmaster

white Buffalo is a splendid one to beholdwhite Buffalo is a splendid one to beholdwhite Buffalo is a splendid one to beholdwhite Buffalo is a splendid one to beholdwhite Buffalo is a splendid one to beholdwhite Buffalo is a splendid one to beholdwhite Buffalo is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Interesting stuff.
Do you have some #1 diesel to try that out with?
Sure can, but I will have to wait a week or so untill we get some colder temps again. We are having a heat wave this week (+15F to +25F).

Quote:
Originally Posted by clux View Post
Regulated return is the best solution to gelling I have found. After I did the pre-pump & in tank, I would gel any time it got below 10*. After the regulated return I've had no gel issues at any temperature down to -24*.
Probably why I have been so fortunate myself this winter.
Old 02-01-2010, 02:15 PM
ain't wrapped tight

clux has a superb reputationclux has a superb reputationclux has a superb reputationclux has a superb reputationclux has a superb reputationclux has a superb reputationclux has a superb reputationclux has a superb reputationclux has a superb reputationclux has a superb reputationclux has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by white Buffalo View Post
Sure can, but I will have to wait a week or so untill we get some colder temps again. We are having a heat wave this week (+15F to +25F).
Shirtsleeve weather, Huh?
Old 02-01-2010, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clux View Post
Regulated return is the best solution to gelling I have found.

After I did the pre-pump & in tank, I would gel any time it got below 10*. After the regulated return I've had no gel issues at any temperature down to -24*.

That makes sense as long as you're running, but how would simple plumbing affect the gel point in your tank once the truck is shut down and not running at all for hours on end? Or are you suggesting that with the RR, you can get a circulating effect by using your block heater in winter and having that little bit of warmth transfer all the way through the bolck to the fuel rails and cause a circulation flow through the fuel system (a flow that would have to be strong enough to push up the suction leg of the pump suction line, through a filter, through pump internals, and then upwards from the truck frame rails through the fuel rails and fuel pressure regulator)?
Pete (F250_) -- PAA#19
Old 02-01-2010, 02:28 PM
ain't wrapped tight

Quote:
Originally Posted by F250_ View Post
That makes sense as long as you're running, but how would simple plumbing affect the gel point in your tank once the truck is shut down and not running at all for hours on end? Or are you suggesting that with the RR, you can get a circulating effect by using your block heater in winter and having that little bit of warmth transfer all the way through the bolck to the fuel rails and cause a circulation flow through the fuel system?
I think it was removing the mixing chamber and diverting the return fuel away from the pickup.
Old 02-01-2010, 02:46 PM

That makes sense, but I did the same thing when I used the ITP in-tank/pre-pump filter kit.

Still, though, that only works while you're running because it only addresses the benefit of circulating agitation within the tank as a whole instead of only at the pump suction foot. Once you're truck is down for the night, you still should use something else to maintain fuel fluidity so that it will flow on startup in the morning.
Pete (F250_) -- PAA#19
Old 02-01-2010, 02:46 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel

Tags
2004, 60, 73, additive, anti, diesel, f250, fuel, gallon, gel, gelling, kleen, powerstroke, problems, trucks, ulsd