1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Dentsides Ford Truck
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

Thanks. Need help with timing chain replacement.

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-1999, 12:11 PM
Kent Wales

Thanks for the responses on my last post. I have decided after the previous information, to replace the timing chain, however, I'm not that familar with the 302 engine. I have replace the water pump on this vehicle before. Knowing that I am a little more than green with this stuff, is replacing the timing chain and gears a tough project to get into? What special tools may I need to get this job done, pullers etc.? I will be going to the library to get a shop manual the step by step, do you recommend chiltons? Haynes?

Thanks again for the information.

Old 08-27-1999, 01:47 PM
Phillip Guidry
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You will have to invest in a harmonic balancer puller as well as an installer.Oh yeah,a distributor wrench too. The rest is just plain tools.You will need a 3-piece timing set,timing cover gasket set and some RTV silicone and whatever else you may want to upgrade while you are there.Not to discourage you from doing it,but you may want to compare the price of a shop doing it compared to the price of the extra tools you have to buy.You can sometimes rent tools if they are available.I sure wish I could pay myself sometimes!
Phillip

Old 08-27-1999, 06:35 PM
Kent Wales

Thanks, I think I can rent the H.B. puller. What is a Harmonic Balancer installer? Also anyone know how tough and how long this fix and install would take? Which shop manuals would ya'll recommend?

Thanks again for the help!

Old 08-27-1999, 08:03 PM
jowilker
Fleet Owner

Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts

Kent, Respectfully may I suggest you have this done by a mechanic. This is a job that you could do, but it's not simple. From what I have read in your posts your skill level isn't great. By the time that you rent tools , buy books, etc. you could be riding in your van.

By the same token, it's your wagon, pull it, if you want to.

Good Luck,

John

Old 08-28-1999, 01:25 PM
Bruce
Senior User

Kent:

If you replaced the water pump then you were 80% of the way to replacing the timing chain.

Things you need to consider:

Before you remove the timing chain cover you need to remove the fuel pump. It bolts to the cover with two bolts and an eccentric bolted to the front of the cam moves the fuel pump's arm to actuate the pump. If the fuel line to the tank is below the tank then your entire fuel tank will drain after you disconnect the flex line to the tank. Have a few diameters of short bolts handy to twist into the hose to plug it.

You will need to remove the harmonic balancer before the cover will come off. I bought a harmonic balancer cover for less than $30 a few years ago - it's worth the cost. I also use it to pull steering wheels and other things. Go ahead and buy one.

When you remove the timing chain cover you will be breaking the oil seal to the lower engine so be careful. On the 302 the timing chain cover mates to the front of the engine and to the front of the oil pan. When you remove the timing chain cover there will be a fairly large opening to the oil pan. Anything you drop down there ....

When you remove the cover you will destroy not only the cover's gasket, but also the front of the oil pan gaskets. You will need to use the RTV silicone sealant mentioned above to reseal the oil pan. If you are lucky there will be no sealer on the old oil pan gasket and you can reuse it. I like to use Ultra Blue RTV silicone sealer that you can buy at any auto parts store.

After you remove the pan you need to scrape-off the old gaskets and clean-up the area so the RTV will stick. Place rags in the openings to the oil pan cavity so nothing will drop down there. I like to use old T-shirts - they are the right size and won't drop lint into the oil pan. The best tools to remove the old gaskets and other gunk are a steel bristled brush and a steel putty knife. Work carefully and slowly.

The timing chain cover itself needs to be cleaned thoroughly. I like to use a plastic oil drain pan. Fill it about half way with hot water and add 1/2 to one full cup of laundry detergent. Sit on the ground in a comfortable place and use the putty knife, steel bristled brush and a soft nylon bristled brush to clean the cover. Remember, it is made of aluminum and it is very soft and easy to damage. BE VERY CAREFUL NOT TO NICK OR OTHERWISE DAMAGE IT!!!!!

After you have it very clean then rinse it off with hot water and place it in the sun to dry.

I've got to go now - I'll post some more instructions later.

For your first attempt you should plan on this taking an entire weekend.

Good Luck

Bruce

Old 08-31-1999, 11:20 AM
Kent Wales

Bruce your message will be of great help. Thanks for the input and if you have time to add any more, as if said at the end, I can use all of the help that I can get.

Thanks again Bruce!

Old 08-31-1999, 09:22 PM
Bruce
Senior User

Kent:

Some more to consider.

Before you take off the timing chain and the two gears, get out some paper and a pencil and make an accurate record of how the gears are installed. The upper gear bolts to the camshaft. It also holds the fuel pump eccentric in place. The eccentric is actually two pieces, the inner piece which is bolted firmly in place and the outer sleeve which rotates around the inner piece. This helps reduce friction to the fuel pump arm. When you reinstall it make sure you put a little assembly lube between them to prevent friction upon startup. Also place a little assembly lube on the outside of the outer ring to reduce friction between it and the fuel pump lever upon startup. If you have a fuel injected engine then you have an electric fuel pump and won’t have the eccentrics.

The lower gear usually has an oil sling. It is a piece of metal that takes oil that runs to the bottom gear and throws it back up to keep the chain properly oiled. Make sure you sketch how it is attached to the crankshaft snout.

Before you remove the timing chain make sure the timing marks line up. Use a ½” drive breaker bar or a ¾” drive ratchet to turn the bolt on the crankshaft. Don’t rely on your eyes to determine that the marks are lined up. I use a long ruler and hold it to the crank snout and eyeball it to the centerline of the camshaft. Then look at the marks on both gears to make sure they are lined up. Upon installation use the same procedure to make sure you’re not off by one tooth.

Clean all the timing chain cover bolts and replace those that are rusted. You can get standard bolts of the proper diameter, thread count and length at most hardware stores. Use a flat washer and lock washer to hold them in place. If you want to use the proper bolts then go to an auto parts store or a Mustang shop and you can buy a kit with all the correct bolts to attach both the timing chain cover and water pump. On those bolts that don’t penetrate to the water jacket, put a drop or two of oil on them before installing. On those that do penetrate the water jacket put some RTV on the threads so make sure you have a tight seal.

While you have the timing chain cover off is a good time to paint it. Determine what color you want and give it a couple of coats.

As I recall, there is a seal that is pressed into the timing chain cover that seals the crankshaft snout. Make sure it is soft and pliable. Better yet, just replace it because it is cheap and while you have the cover off…

When you buy gasket kits you often get more than one gasket that you do not need because of slight changes in 302s over the years. Dry fit the gaskets to the timing chain cover and water pump before you get started so you know what gaskets you need.

After you get the cover installed you can install the fuel pump. If you need a new one now is a good time to replace it. It may be hard to line up the mounting bolts because the eccentric hits the fuel pump arm. Rotate the crankshaft a quarter turn and try again. After a few attempts you should be able to install it. Again, if you have a fuel injected engine then you don’t have the mechanical pump.

You can now reinstall the water pump, accessories and fan belts.

If it is too tight in your engine bay then remove the radiator before you start and make your life easier.

Good luck

Bruce

Old 09-01-1999, 08:04 AM
Jeff
Junior User

Kent,
I think Bruce has covered it well. Just to answer your question though, I really prefer the big Chilton manuals for the step by step instructions on these cars/trucks. These are usually in your local library. I've got plenty of the Haynes in my garage too but Chilton seems easier to follow the first time around.

You can do it and you'll feel better about yourself for learning. I recently did the same job on a 351W for the first time. With the HB puller/install tool (mine came as a set for $45) you don't have to worry about damaging the crankshaft. Also, my timing chain gasket kit came with small cork pieces to fill in where you seal the bottom of the timing cover to the front of the oil pan. Luckily I went to good parts store and the mechanic behind the counter explained how it is used to prevent leakage problems at this critical spot.

If you do spend the time and have more time, why not clean, paint and detail all of the engine parts you remove while you're at it. This is the only time you have the entire front of the engine off.

Old 09-01-1999, 08:02 PM
Buffalo Hearder