6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Edge Juice w/ Attitude ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 02:24 PM
AndeyHall
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Edge Juice w/ Attitude ?

Ok, I swore to myself that I wasn't going to get an Edge programmer when I heard about how they can have such negative effects on your engine. But a friend of mine bought one a month ago, decided he'd rather upgrade to the Juice Platinum w/ Attitude and so he sold me a month old Juice w/ Attitude for $100. Thought it was a pretty incredible deal so I took it. I don't think I'm going to run it forever (let me rephrase that, I know I'm not going to run it forever), I just thought it would be a fun cheap programmer to fiddle with until I could afford an SCT. But what exactly shoul I look out for when using this programmer. I know that 6.0's and pulling don't go to well together when talking about a programmer, but luckily for me, I don't pull anything ever hardly. My truck is simply a daily driver, therefore I usually keep the programmer on level 3, the Drive setting. However, of course I have to play some, so I've kicked the throttle a few times in the Race and Extreme settings. But there's been a few things I've noticed and didn't like in these settings. #1: There's no such thing as "easing" into the throttle in these settings. The transmission goes crazy and has no idea what gear to go to and starts jarring the truck around like crazy. It's either drive normal, or have it on the floor. #2: It defuels on the shifts in levels 4 and 5, and there's one shift (forget which gears) that takes forever for it to change. Anybody else seen this? Does defueling the shifts really help the EGT's that much?

Another thing, I there's small little switch that comes with the Juice to change between power settings. But if you're using the Attitude, does that whole module over-ride that switch, or do I need to have the switch in a certain position?

Let me know what all information and experiences you guys have with this programmer because like I said, I wasn't planning on ever running an edge, I just figured $100 was too good of a deal for programmer that retails around $700 and was only a month old.

Old 01-30-2010, 02:40 PM
Cowboy65
Elder User
Others will chime in with much more info, however I would be concerned about long term transmissions issues. The $100 could result in costly repairs down the road.

Do yourself and your truck a favor and use the search feature to read some previous threads before going down this road.

Old 01-30-2010, 02:43 PM
hangon2me
Senior User
What you are experiencing is early stage of catastrophic transmission failure. Your $100.00 purchase is going to cost you over $6,000 very soon. I ran this FUEL box (2004) and completely ruined my transmission, EGR cooler, oil cooler and blew the head gaskets after it hydro locked. I had to sell my 2004, it was never the same. Throw it on Ebay, sell it and buy the SCT from the proceeds of the sale.

Old 01-30-2010, 02:59 PM
SteveBricks
FTE Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^^^^^

Can't really add much to that. Your poor trans is begging for relief.

Take that thing off.

Old 01-30-2010, 03:25 PM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by AndeyHall
Ok, I swore to myself that I wasn't going to get an Edge programmer when I heard about how they can have such negative effects on your engine. But a friend of mine bought one a month ago, decided he'd rather upgrade to the Juice Platinum w/ Attitude and so he sold me a month old Juice w/ Attitude for $100. Thought it was a pretty incredible deal so I took it.
I have to ask that given the you knowing that it wasn't good for your truck, how did you figure it was a good deal at any price?

Everything else sounds like your wrecking havoc on your direct clutch for sure as that is the "weak link" in the TS trannys, about the only weak link in the tranny from what I can tell, other then the input shaft.

Cut your losses at the 100 and let it go. I've said it before and I'm sure I'll be saying it again after this: "if your going to tune this trucks, tune them right from the beginning". 100 bucks could have got you Eric's race tune if you went with the SCT.

Old 01-30-2010, 04:03 PM
AndeyHall
Posting Guru
Thanks for all the input guys. Definately gonna run the stock tune and as soon as I get a little time, it's coming out and going on ebay! I definately don't want any tranny issues w/ my limited college budget.

So if the size of the SCT Livewire doesn't bother me (as I've heard people on here complaining of it's bulkiness before), is that it's only problem, or are there other issues with it? Because from what I can tell and read on their site, it's the exact same thing as the X3, it just stays plugged up to act as guages also. And I know I've called SCT before and asked about all of the features that it has, like the rev/mile feature and other stuff like that that the user can adjust, and they said that some of them are not available for ford 6.0s. Does anyone know off the top of their head what features those are, because I can't remember for the life of me.

And on a side note, I've been having some sort of steady oil leak off of the bottom of my transmission (no, it 's not the tuner...it was doing this WAY before I even considered a tuner). I had noticed an excess amount of oil on the bottom of my transmission a while back, and when I checked under the hood, you could see oil oozing out of the oil filter housing while the engine was idling, I guess from where some dumb @ss didn't tighten the lid enough when they changed the oil (I had just bought the truck). So once I tightened the lid, I just took it as problem solved. Well yesterday I was under there changing my water/fuel seperator manifold and I noticed fresh oil on the bottom of the transmission, and I checked the spot where I normally park, and on top of the already present oil spot from the earlier leaking, I noticed more fresh oil on top, so I could tell there's still an oil leak going on. I looked around all that I could (but again, it was 32 degrees and I was trying to get that manifold changed, so the transmission wasn't really my concern at the moment), but from what I could notice, there's no oil above the transmission, but it's just about completely covered the transmission. Anybody know what this could be? Sorry this turned out to be a pretty long side note...when I get to , I just keep going and going with detail and don't know when to stop.

Old 01-30-2010, 04:28 PM
tex25025
Post Fiend

So if the size of the SCT Livewire doesn't bother me (as I've heard people on here complaining of it's bulkiness before), is that it's only problem, or are there other issues with it? Because from what I can tell and read on their site, it's the exact same thing as the X3, it just stays plugged up to act as guages also. And I know I've called SCT before and asked about all of the features that it has, like the rev/mile feature and other stuff like that that the user can adjust, and they said that some of them are not available for ford 6.0s. Does anyone know off the top of their head what features those are, because I can't remember for the life of me.

It's a little on the unreliable side as far as power issues. That's the power to the actual device. After so long the screen will stay on for awhile, then just cut off. Wait a couple of days and then it'll come back on for you, then cut out again. There was supposed to have been a fix middle of last year, but I still hear of people that have that issue and from what I could gather they should have gotten the updated devices as they bought past that date of fix.

I wouldn't run a chance with it. If you are on a limited budget, I would get the Insight, if you can find a good deal or able to save up more for it, I would get the DashDAQ.

As to your oil issue, I have been fortunate*knock on wood* and have not had leaky oil issue with my truck. I have had a crap load of other issues(most of which were "self-inflicted", but not that.

Old 02-10-2010, 11:38 AM
AndeyHall
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by tex25025
Cut your losses at the 100 and let it go. I've said it before and I'm sure I'll be saying it again after this: "if your going to tune this trucks, tune them right from the beginning". 100 bucks could have got you Eric's race tune if you went with the SCT.
Hey tex, turns out I don't have any losses...in fact it's just the opposite. I put it on ebay starting at 225 and had a 'buy it now' for 300. There was a bidding war at the last minute and I ended up getting $300 off of it. So I profited $200 off of that bad boy. Maybe Edge's programmers are good for something!

But does my truck have a TS tranny just because it's a 6.0? Because I thought the TS didn't start until the '05 models. That was just an assumption I made though based on how much they were mentioned with the '05-'07s and not with the '03-'04s.

Old 02-10-2010, 02:14 PM
tex25025
Post Fiend
But does my truck have a TS tranny just because it's a 6.0? Because I thought the TS didn't start until the '05 models. That was just an assumption I made though based on how much they were mentioned with the '05-'07s and not with the '03-'04s.
Gasser got the TS in '05, but the 6.0 always had the TS. If you had the tranny before the TS then you would have really been up that well known creek as that is a particularly weak tranny in stock form.

Just to make sure, do you have the Tow/Haul button or the O/D button? If it's Tow/Haul then you have the TS.

Old 02-11-2010, 01:59 PM
nonyabiztoo
Junior User
Probably the oil filter o-ring. The filter's sealed with an o-ring , so if it's all the way on, it shouldn't leak, doesn't need to be tightened any more than enough to be sure it won't work it's way loose. I would check the oil filter housing and if it is leaking, replace the o-ring. make sure you lube it up with a little new oil so it slips in without getting cut.

Old 02-11-2010, 05:45 PM
AndeyHall
Posting Guru
Gasser got the TS in '05, but the 6.0 always had the TS. If you had the tranny before the TS then you would have really been up that well known creek as that is a particularly weak tranny in stock form.

Just to make sure, do you have the Tow/Haul button or the O/D button? If it's Tow/Haul then you have the TS.
It says tow/haul, so I guess TS it is. I've heard a lot of good stuff about the TorqueShift, but how well does it rank up with Chevy's Allison transmission?
Originally Posted by nonyabiztoo
Probably the oil filter o-ring. The filter's sealed with an o-ring , so if it's all the way on, it shouldn't leak, doesn't need to be tightened any more than enough to be sure it won't work it's way loose. I would check the oil filter housing and if it is leaking, replace the o-ring. make sure you lube it up with a little new oil so it slips in without getting cut.
I had that problem when I first got the truck a few months ago. It wasn't leaking in slow drips like it is now, it was a steadyflow whenever you cranked it up. It's slow enough now that I'm not too terribly concerned with it, but I'd still like to get it stopped. I'm changing the oil this weekend, so when I replace the o-ring we'll see what happens. Thanks for the info though.

Old 02-11-2010, 05:55 PM
tex25025
Post Fiend
It says tow/haul, so I guess TS it is. I've heard a lot of good stuff about the TorqueShift, but how well does it rank up with Chevy's Allison transmission?
I would say that it's better then the Allison. It was two things that are a weak link(direct clutch, and the input shaft), both of which should survive someone that is either stock and/or custom tuned. My direct clutch started slipping a year after the injector and turbo upgrades(which I thought was good considering that's about 40k worth of miles in that time). Now my input shaft wasn't a problem at the time, but I went ahead and replaced it while I was going in there.

Old 02-11-2010, 06:49 PM
AndeyHall
Posting Guru
I would say that it's better then the Allison. It was two things that are a weak link(direct clutch, and the input shaft), both of which should survive someone that is either stock and/or custom tuned. My direct clutch started slipping a year after the injector and turbo upgrades(which I thought was good considering that's about 40k worth of miles in that time). Now my input shaft wasn't a problem at the time, but I went ahead and replaced it while I was going in there.
Sounds good. So you thing those are the only things that need upgrading even for Spartan's 165hp tune?

Old 02-11-2010, 07:24 PM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Sounds good. So you thing those are the only things that need upgrading even for Spartan's 165hp tune?
165 tune is for the 6.4 unless you are planning on doing upgrades to the turbo and injectors.

Old 02-11-2010, 11:26 PM
AndeyHall
Posting Guru
165 tune is for the 6.4 unless you are planning on doing upgrades to the turbo and injectors.
The girl from Spartan that I talked to said that the 6.0 tunes go up to 140hp, unless you have your studs done, then you can do the 160hp. I thought the big tunes for the 6.4s was the 310 and the 275.

Quick Reply: Edge Juice w/ Attitude ?