1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

'56 Big Window Installation Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 01:09 PM
Dr G
Senior User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'56 Big Window Installation Question

Folks,

The previous owner of my '56 installed a big window kit. Origin unknown, but it is metal, not fiberglass.

The gasket does not sit right in the lower corners. I cannot tell for sure if this was due to improper installation of the glass and gasket (Mid 50's catalog warns about this repeatedly, so it must be a common error). Or perhaps it was a bad kit, or bad installation of the metal?

Does anyone have any ideas? Here are a couple of pictures:

Thanks,

Gustave

Old 01-30-2010, 01:18 PM
kiwi
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I beleive there is only one company that makes the BBW kit if that is true and other trucks have i good fit in this area then maybe it is how the glass was installed. I hope so anyway as i have just done this conversion but am a long way from fitting the glass! good luck i'm sure some one will have the answer your after.

Old 01-30-2010, 03:10 PM
WALFORD'S 56
Postmaster
I just bought a all metal big back window section (complete) ,and the glass fits really tight ..not like the pics. Does the moulding leak? Does it blow air through it? I mean if the moulding may have shrunk in the California sun.....or maybe remove it and have a glass co. reinstall it.
Bill

Old 01-30-2010, 03:42 PM
LEckart
Posting Guru
My guess would be that since this is probably a china reproduction piece it is not exactly like the original. You may have to do some checking against an original opening to see how it compares and if necessary modify yours. Just my opinion from dealing with the aftermarket products.

Old 01-30-2010, 05:13 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,444 Likes on 1,392 Posts
What exactly does Mid-fifty say as a warning? Do they offer any special instruction?

Old 01-30-2010, 05:44 PM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
The molding in your second picture appears to have the last portion of theedge still tucked under adash. You might try getting a plastic blade inder it and flipping it out.

It doesn't look too bad in the first picture.

Old 01-30-2010, 06:42 PM
Dr G
Senior User

Originally Posted by 52 Merc
What exactly does Mid-fifty say as a warning? Do they offer any special instruction?
I'm not sure how special the instructions are. Maybe it is common sense, but they do mention it in several places and the impression is that it's not uncommon for folks to call them to complain about the fit of their windows and seals when in fact they did not install it correctly.

Big rear window and windshield the seal goes on the window first, then the window goes into the truck from the outside. Standard rear glass, the seal goes on the glass, then the glass goes into the truck from the inside.

I think I'll have a glass guy look at it. Perhaps the window can be removed and re-installed with a new seal.

Gustave

Old 01-30-2010, 07:33 PM
edzakory
Elder User
I have an original BBW and have the same issue. I did not install the window after restoration but it appeared to be a gasket issue.

I purchased all new glass including big back window from Classic Truck Glass in Orange, CA. Great customer service and glass; I recommend them. I also purchased a new gasket from D. Carpenter.

I had a number of problems since the flange was bent and the new gasket was too loose to hold the glass in position; the gasket is supposed to shrink over time.

I used the old gasket to get the glass on. It was also a bear trying to get the SS molding in with the window. The new gasket looked like it would fix this problem but it's a two man job. I should have taken it to a Phoenix glass shop.

Old 01-31-2010, 02:16 AM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
I think the big problem is getting the curved glass to "bump" up into the seal and out far enough into the opening when the new seal is installed. I'm like you guys, that "hit it sharply with the butt of the hand" thing sounds out the "Danger danger" signals. On the flat glass that "rapping" not only pushes out on the rear glass but also pushed up on the top to secure it more. I would imagine on glas that is multidimensional like this, it would be hard to "smack" it out far enough to get it to sit right.....might be part of the problem.

I'd get inthe cab and give the bottom corners a gentle lift/push. If that window still moves - at all, it's not in all the way.

Just a thought!

Old 01-31-2010, 08:05 AM
edzakory
Elder User
Originally Posted by Julies Cool F1
I'm like you guys, that "hit it sharply with the butt of the hand" thing sounds out the "Danger danger" signals.
I used the butt of the hand to no avail, and then used a rubber mallet that sounded out the "dumb ***, dumb ***" signals.

Old 01-31-2010, 10:10 AM
fatfenders56
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think Larry may be right, sometimes it's easy to forget that we are dealing with trucks built 50+ years ago and they didn't always fit right when they were new!!

Old 10-16-2015, 10:00 AM
Outlaw56
Posting Guru
I just wanted to try and bring this old thread back to life. Wondering if the original problem was ever resolved and if it was determined to be the conversion kit or the gasket that was the problem.

Old 10-16-2015, 04:05 PM
fatfenders56
Cargo Master
After looking at the photos again (I know I'm out on a limb here) I might be inclined to reform the edge of the opening. It looks about the same on both sides and it's probably going to be in there for another 60 years anyway.

Old 10-16-2015, 05:10 PM
Outlaw56
Posting Guru
Reform the edge of the opening? Would that not interfere with how the glass fits?

Old 10-16-2015, 05:35 PM
fatfenders56
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Outlaw56
Reform the edge of the opening? Would that not interfere with how the glass fits?
What I meant was rework the metal right at the corners to match the rest of the existing gaps. You surely aren't going to be able to modify the glass or the rubber and there is no way of telling which one is "correct"

Quick Reply: '56 Big Window Installation Question