6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Coolant behavior in Degas Bottle is crazy

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 06:52 AM
ssharber
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Will do. Appreciate the heads up koboss. Did you speak to them on the phone? They said they can test the coolant. But I didnt ask particulars. I just assumed that if they offer to test it they would be able to tell you something, but then again I hate that word assume. For obvious reasons. Ill give 'em a call.

Old 02-05-2010, 07:57 AM
koboss1
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I talked to one of the guys on the phone and im not even sure if they said they still test the coolant? i should call him again to know for sure too.. but the way i took it was it was wasting my money and to stick with the oil.

hope this helps?

FYI
ASSUME = *** of U and ME. this is my deffinition of assume. and ussually right when i assume things!!

Old 02-07-2010, 07:38 AM
capt caper
Fleet Mechanic
Received 86 Likes on 56 Posts
Update
I did a trip yesterday to Boston. Stopped at rest area for an hour break. Left truck idleing. Temp dropped some while idleing. Left rest area and got up to 65mph via ramp and shortly after smelt anti freeze in cab. Smell went away at the end of 1 hour. Checked Degas bottle and antifreeze was all over the inside hood and bottle area. It puked bad and this was the smell that got into the cab. Rest of trip (230 miles ) back at end of day and business stops was fine.
When I released the cap pressure when I discovered the PUKE the anti freeze came back up to upper cold line from being at Venturi TEE

Go figure again. As a side note when I got it back from dealer it was at venturi tee. And when I got home last night it as at the cold line still.

I hope a tech that knows this truck and coolant behavior will read all this an chime in.

Old 02-07-2010, 07:51 AM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Mine did the same thing once. Puked it all over. I let the coolant level settle, made sure the level was right, and it has never done it again. Just the 1 time deal. People told me I overfilled it. I don't know how? In any case, mine usually settles around 1 inch low below cold fill line and I just leave it there.

Unless somebody thinks it's a problem, maybe just leave it an inch or so low? That's what I do.

Another thing is, my radiator is leaking very slowly so I don't think my coolant system ever reaches the max pressure. Maybe this is a good thing too? Seems to work for me right now. I don't know if the summer will make it more dangerous though. Right now the temps really stay between 190 and 210 while towing on interstates. Summer will make the temps go up to 230.

Old 02-07-2010, 08:20 AM
koboss1
Elder User
hey Capt. did you say that you still have the old EGR valve?? but new coolers

when mine was first puking and then eventually died, it was cause it had the old style EGR valve and it was stuck open causing the coolant to boil in that metal line on the EGR valve headed right back to the degass bottle. i bet your old style valve is done.. if it is stuck open its only a matter of time before the intake cokes up and sufficates the truck.. they sprayed a can of injector cleaner in the intake to disolve and blow out of the system with some hard driving. otherwise if that didnt work they would have had to lift the cab to take the intake off and clean.
if im right this is probably what clogged your coolers up..
BTW, they put a new style EGR valve on it, forgot to mention it.

koboss

Last edited by koboss1; 02-07-2010 at 08:22 AM. Reason: forgot last line
Old 02-07-2010, 08:46 AM
ssharber
Tuned
I would be right back up there. They obviously didn't fix it. I don't think they know what's wrong with these trucks half the time. Maybe they used to consult International before and now they don't. But if it's still doing the same thing then they've obviously just guessed and gotten it wrong.

Old 02-07-2010, 11:46 AM
capt caper
Fleet Mechanic
How can you tell I have the old or new egr? I'll go and check it today.

Old 02-07-2010, 02:46 PM
ssharber
Tuned
I dont know how to tell the difference between the new ones. I think senix does, and Im sure cheezit or koboss1 does. PM them and they will be able to tell you. That's sorry that they can't do any better than that to fix this problem. Not the techs but Ford. You would think they would want to get to the bottom of this since so many people are having this problem rather than replacing things that aren't even the cause of the problem.

Old 02-07-2010, 03:30 PM
koboss1
Elder User
i have a picture i will try and get it in my gallery tonight and you can see, it will be the new one. the old one has a stanless steel tube at the top towards the cab that has a rubber hose going to the degass bottle if i remember correctly.

ok i found it if it doesnt look good in my gallery then PM me your email and i will send you big pic.

koboss

Old 02-07-2010, 03:59 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,415 Likes on 1,010 Posts
Old style is just as Koboss says, tube then hose straight to the degas bottle.
New style, no hose.

Old 02-09-2010, 11:47 AM
niner9
Junior User
got my truck pressure tested yesterday due to the missing coolant, turned out to be an o ring in the upper rad hose, thats what they tell me, will have to keep an eye on it......

Old 02-11-2010, 06:28 AM
capt caper
Fleet Mechanic
I looked at the EGR valve and it's the old style valve for sure. The tech is out on sick leave so I'll try to get them to fix this.
Is there a TSB on this old valve vs new valve?

Old 02-11-2010, 06:55 AM
koboss1
Elder User
i believe there is but i dont know it.

CHEEZIT..... cheezit is like gazoo on the flintstones he magicly appears when you need him.

koboss

Old 02-11-2010, 04:56 PM
capt caper
Fleet Mechanic
they got me on hold. they said they are talking to Ford. for what it's worth I towed a short distance and didn't puke. coolant was at the lower cold line when I got back.
next trip down south will be the proof in the pudding in a week or 10 days

Old 02-11-2010, 05:41 PM
koboss1
Elder User
I just went a 500km trip and the coolant is down level with the T so i am just going to leave it alone for a bit

Quick Reply: Coolant behavior in Degas Bottle is crazy