Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > Expedition & Navigator
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator SPONSORED BY:

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-29-2010, 04:35 PM
Senior User

kailor is starting off with a positive reputation.
Overhead Compass and Temp Quit Working

My overhead compass and temp gauge quit working. No read out, nothing. Has anyone had this happen who can tell me how to fix it? My search revealed how to remove the cover and check for loose solder connections. What else is tied to this circuit that I could try and turn on to see if that device works or not?
Michelin LTX M/S2
180K miles, Draw-Tite Class IV
Old 01-29-2010, 08:27 PM
Junior User

1whoseeks is starting off with a positive reputation.
I had to clean the connections at the plug in. Took two attempts to have my temp/direction come back up. Worth a try.
Old 01-29-2010, 10:08 PM
Senior User

I just went outside and removed the unit from the vehicle. Mine is compass and temperature only. The first pic shows a wafer of sorts that is out of place (follow the toothpick). Is this a resistor?
Click the image to open in full size.

The second pic shows where I slid the wafer back to where it should be.
Click the image to open in full size.
Upon initial examination, the circuit board looked good. A closer look revealed that a wafer labeled "510" had one corner kind of raised or sticking up. I pressed down on the raised corner ever so lightly and the wafer moved off of its bed. It had indeed come unsoldered. How would I go about soldering this back? I may just take it to a local electronics store that has been around for 60 years.

Michelin LTX M/S2
Old 01-30-2010, 09:35 AM
Elder User

c_hohensee is starting off with a positive reputation.
If the leads are still there to stick through the board it is not difficult. If you have a pencil soldering iron, rosen core solder and a steady hand that is. If not take it to an expert.

98 XLT 4X4 5.4 W/aftercooled Vortech S/C, custom tuned w/lightning maf and 42# injectors, Flexlite electric fan, Lightning Head and Marker lights and LED tails, Bilsteins, S/S headers and Magnaflow catback, Pioneer nav system and Airlift rear bags w/compressor
Old 01-30-2010, 10:14 AM
Posting Guru

alwaysfords41 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Few other tricks - you may be able to get away with just heating the existing solder to re bond the wafer, that keeps you away from the danger of putting too much solder down. They make very small diameter (.005") solder which is what you should use if you need to resolder. They also make solder cord which is used to "suck up" the older solder if you need to get some of it off of the board. A purist would remove all of the old, but I don't think it matters. This seems like a nice job for just rebonding.
1995 Bronco XLT, 1996 Explorer XLT, 1999 Expedition EB, 2003 Expedition EB, 2004 Expedition EB Premium
Old 01-30-2010, 11:12 PM
Senior User

hotrodford87 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I found a guy on Ebay that 'rebuilds' them. You can order one for your specific vehicle from him and it costs about 1/2 the price of a new one + a core charge. When you return your rebuilable unit to him, he refunds the core charge.
Old 02-01-2010, 12:13 PM
Senior User

Took the circuit board to an electronics repair shop (open since 1946) this morning. The guy told me his minimum charge is $65/hr. He said he would remove all old solder, re-solder the resistor and change out a capacitor (at no extra charge) that he promised me would eventually go bad (google "capacitor plague"). He said it should be about an hours worth of work barring any interruptions. He said he'd probably have it ready today. Anyway, this part at my local Ford dealership would cost me $186.75. I'll put it back in this evening and report on whether or not it works.
Michelin LTX M/S2
Old 02-01-2010, 10:28 PM
Senior User

$75 got the circuit board fixed. The guy re-soldered all wafers and all solder points on back of board and changed the capacitor I mentioned earlier in the thread. I reinstalled it and it works perfectly.
Michelin LTX M/S2
Old 02-02-2010, 08:02 AM
Post Fiend

alloro is a name known to allalloro is a name known to allalloro is a name known to allalloro is a name known to allalloro is a name known to allalloro is a name known to all
Did he offer any explanation as to why the wafer would've separated in the first place?
Old 02-02-2010, 03:18 PM
Senior User

My repairman offered two reasons as to why the wafer-type resistor separated:
1) There was not enough heat when the parts were first attached to the board
2) Heat over time would cause the tin to be consumed leaving only the lead, thus causing separation

Note: In my pictures above, there are 2 wafer-resistors each labeled "510", and there are 3 wafer-resistors each labeled "181." The last digit in the numbers represents the number of zeros in the Ohm rating. Hence, 510 (last digit is 0) means there are no zeros in the Ohm rating, meaning "510" represents a 51 Ohm resistor. Again, 181 (last digit is 1) means there is 1 zero in the Ohm rating, meaning "181" represents a 180 Ohm resistor.
Michelin LTX M/S2
Old 08-16-2010, 02:11 PM
New User

ruscoo is starting off with a positive reputation.
how did you get the plastic cover down to remove the module ???
Old 08-16-2010, 02:44 PM
Senior User

To quote an old post from "Red Monkey",

To get the console cover off: 1. Pull down on the windshield side, it will pop loose then, 2. Use a screw driver to push 'IN' on the two locking tabs located in the storage compartment on the left and right side, then pull down. It should be free. The console/gauge packet pulls down from the windshield side, then unplug it and it swings toward the rear to release the tab holding it up.
Michelin LTX M/S2
Old 08-16-2010, 02:58 PM
New User

thank you, i'll give it a try, rus
Old 08-16-2010, 03:18 PM
New User

there is a small phillips head screw close to the windshield that i removedm but unit still very hard to pull down ?? rus
Old 08-16-2010, 08:01 PM
New User

lbpd519 is starting off with a positive reputation.
compass repair

Hey just joined but have used the sight for reference to repair other issues but I just bought a 03 F350 and the compass computer display did not work. Using the above photos I removed the cover and found that two boards have come loose and were sitting in the cover. If you follow the thread take your time and orient the boards with the boards that are still place. I had no problems after teh repair. Thanks.
Old 08-16-2010, 08:01 PM