Escape & Escape Hybrid Ford Escape, Ford Escape Hybrid, Mercury Mariner, Mazda Tribute

ABS/traction control problems, 08 Escape

Old 01-28-2010, 11:41 PM
machinist man
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ABS/traction control problems, 08 Escape

I'm having some issues with my wife's 2008 Escape. Last Saturday we got about 8 inches of wet heavy snow, and while we were going to my folk's house the ABS and traction control lights came on. When we started the car back up to go home, the ABS light was still on but the traction control light was off. I took off, and it started surging, the TC light blinked a few times and then stayed on, but it drove fine. I figured the wet snow maybe got on a wheel sensor and iced up, and today I brought it to my shop and parked it inside for a couple of hours to melt any snow and ice off. The ABS light is still on, and now if I don't turn the TC off when I start it the surging is there, and when I turned the TC off and tried to accelerate it almost felt like the brakes were being applied for a couple of seconds, then it took off and drove normally, except the lights are still on. I haven't tried to pull any codes, I'll do that tomorrow and post anything I find. Anyone have any ideas so far? Any help is greatly appreciated (especially now that the warranty is up).

Old 01-31-2010, 08:44 AM
machinist man
Junior User
I tried to pull codes, but nothing came up. Any ideas?

Old 01-31-2010, 09:28 AM
wptski
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
None if any low end scanners/code readers will show ABS codes.

Old 01-31-2010, 11:33 AM
machinist man
Junior User
I was just reading on what readings you should get with a voltmeter on the wheel sensors, I'm going to do that this afternoon, hopefully I'll find the problem.

I don't have a fancy code reader, so that's probably why I didn't get anything. Thanks wptski!

Old 02-17-2010, 09:03 PM
ncyoung926
New User
Just wondering if you solved your problem yet. I also have a 2008 Escape and I am having similar problems. Just out of the warranty also, really aggravating!!!

Old 02-19-2010, 07:52 PM
machinist man
Junior User
Actually, I broke down and bought a good scan tool. I pulled codes C1236 (Speed Wheel LR Input - Signal Missing) and U0414 (Invalid Data Received From Four-Wheel Drive Clutch Control Module). Now I'm working on finding out what I need to do next.

Old 02-19-2010, 09:53 PM
wptski
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by machinist man
Actually, I broke down and bought a good scan tool. I pulled codes C1236 (Speed Wheel LR Input - Signal Missing) and U0414 (Invalid Data Received From Four-Wheel Drive Clutch Control Module). Now I'm working on finding out what I need to do next.
What scanner did you get?

Old 02-21-2010, 09:13 AM
ncyoung926
New User
Originally Posted by machinist man
have you checked the abs tone rings? They are really bad about cracking and causing all kinds of problems with abs and traction contol. they are located on the wheel end of the axle shaft. This ended up being the fix to my problem. Not to mention the transmision cooler was leaking. Another common problem for this model of vehicle.

Old 03-16-2010, 07:41 AM
goingnorth
Junior User
I have an 08 xls 2.3l manual tranny 50K miles, and just started the same issue, first the abs flashed on and off a couple times then both the traction control and abs came on. I live on a dirt road that is really bad right now and felt the surging like it was applying the brakes, right before the lights came on. I plan to hit the car wash and give it a good washing to see if it helps. I just got my truck back from a body shop because I hit a dear and took out the rad. a/c coil and all the plastic up front, the drivers side front tire took the biggest impact and had an alignment done. I wonder if I can blame this on the accident to have it looked at? I did put 500 miles on it since I got it back before the problem showed up.

I would also like to know what scanner to get?

Old 03-16-2010, 09:12 PM
ncyoung926
New User
Originally Posted by goingnorth
I have an 08 xls 2.3l manual tranny 50K miles, and just started the same issue, first the abs flashed on and off a couple times then both the traction control and abs came on. I live on a dirt road that is really bad right now and felt the surging like it was applying the brakes, right before the lights came on. I plan to hit the car wash and give it a good washing to see if it helps. I just got my truck back from a body shop because I hit a dear and took out the rad. a/c coil and all the plastic up front, the drivers side front tire took the biggest impact and had an alignment done. I wonder if I can blame this on the accident to have it looked at? I did put 500 miles on it since I got it back before the problem showed up.

I would also like to know what scanner to get?
sounds like the exact symptoms mine had and it was the abs tone ring. Look underneath the front of the car at the wheel end of the axle shaft and it will be a thin silver gear like ring if you are able to move that ring at all it will cause problems. The ring is prone to splitting and then causing the ring to be loose on the shaft you may want to jack up the front end so you can rotate the wheel around to get a good look. As far as a scan tool I bought an Innova 3160 it is the only real affordable scan tool that I could find that will read abs codes and allow you to clear them. I bought mine on amazon for under $200.

Old 03-17-2010, 09:53 AM
goingnorth
Junior User
Thanks for the reply about scanners, I looked up actron cp9449 for abs and cp9180 or cp9185 for everything else. I plan to check reviews between the different brands. The dealer and local shops want $75 or more just to check codes.

I will look at the tone rings this weekend.

Old 03-20-2010, 05:42 AM
gazi001
New User
My 2008 Escape Hybrid FWD ABS & Brake sign came together today and warning words came: "Disable brake system and regain brake". The brake was not working properly. So I restart the car few times same thing and than i stop the truck for an hour and start the engine no problem or no signs. What cause this warning| ABS Control Module (Price $ 1700.00 about) or something else?

Old 03-20-2010, 08:44 AM
wptski
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by gazi001
My 2008 Escape Hybrid FWD ABS & Brake sign came together today and warning words came: "Disable brake system and regain brake". The brake was not working properly. So I restart the car few times same thing and than i stop the truck for an hour and start the engine no problem or no signs. What cause this warning| ABS Control Module (Price $ 1700.00 about) or something else?
Join and post in this forum for a quick answer: http://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/f26/

Old 04-15-2010, 10:55 AM
courtgirl
New User
2008 escape tc problems

I see I'm not the only one!!!!!!! I also have a 2008 Ford Escape with tc problems - sounds like the same thing. Going around a corner or driving down the road, the tc light flashes and the car jerks a little then light goes out. Today, the light did not flash, but as I accelerate, I can feel grinding of some sort about three times and then stops until I have to accelerate from a stop again. Any ideas?? Need help - I'm a girl I know very little - hoping there was a recall on the traction control.

Old 04-15-2010, 11:00 AM
courtgirl
New User
the transmission cooler was a recall - did you get it fixed or reimbursed?? - Mine was leaking like crazy and just before I had a friend fix it, I got the recall letter

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ABS/traction control problems, 08 Escape