Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Excursion - King of SUVs
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-28-2010, 02:56 PM
New User

Matt_S is starting off with a positive reputation.
Power Steering Problems! Help!

I have a 2000 Excursion with a 7.3L. I have an Airaid Intake and my tire size is 325 75R16. My wheels are also 10" wide. I've been through 3 power steering pumps since I've put these tires and rims on. My Ex is currently sitting in the shop at the local Ford Dealership trying to figure out why my latest pump went out nearly 24hrs after installation.

Local shop (not Ford) told me this,

"It's your gear box. It's over heating because it's going bad and causing your pump to go bad as well. It will cost $497 to replace."

How do I fix this problem? I've been told to upgrade the pump. Then I was told that won't help. I was told to change the pulley and make the pump work harder. Then I was told that will burn up the pump faster.

What have you all done to yours? Or have you heard of this happening before?

Thanks guys,
-Matt
Old 01-28-2010, 04:23 PM
Senior User

ukmat71 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
mat1971
can i ask what it feels like when your pump has gone.

as mine drives fine until every now & then when i make a quick turn the steering seems to lock and turn really slow, i am thinking my pump is on its way out, but then its fine for weeks.

Marcus

00 Excursion XLT 4x4 6.8 V10 for family
96 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution 4x4 GSR for fun
Old 01-28-2010, 06:49 PM
Post Fiend

ReAX is a splendid one to beholdReAX is a splendid one to beholdReAX is a splendid one to beholdReAX is a splendid one to beholdReAX is a splendid one to beholdReAX is a splendid one to behold
All of the bad gear boxes I've had either failed and not had power assist or had bad spots where it steered fine but either didn't return to center or lost power assist for a few degrees of rotation.

</td><td> Look, see these two tow hooks? They look like tusks. And what kind of animal has tusks?</td></tr></table>
Old 01-29-2010, 10:16 AM
New User

Matt_S is starting off with a positive reputation.
ukmat71- It depends on how far gone your pump is. It starts with the steering getting incredibly difficult to turn unless your on the roll. You should also hear a whine when you turn. Eventually you'll lose power brakes as well. Of course, for an Excursion, that's not a good thing at all.

ReAX- I'm not having those issues at all. It's definitely my power steering pump. I just don't understand why I've gone through so many. I don't hear of other lifted trucks having these problems.
Old 01-29-2010, 01:52 PM
Post Fiend

ReAX is a splendid one to beholdReAX is a splendid one to beholdReAX is a splendid one to beholdReAX is a splendid one to beholdReAX is a splendid one to beholdReAX is a splendid one to behold
I just had to replace my PS fluid because I had no power assist on concrete while stopped. It's mostly come back, but I suspect it's getting close to pump time. What kind are you using as the replacements (this can have a big impact)?

A1 Cardone is usually pretty good reman, but those new china units can be iffy.

</td><td> Look, see these two tow hooks? They look like tusks. And what kind of animal has tusks?</td></tr></table>
Old 01-29-2010, 04:02 PM
Senior User

mat1971
mmmm cheers guys, may be i have some crud in my fluid then , as it really is only now and then , i usually kick the gas for a second and its cleared.

i'll try to flush the system out soon and see it that makes a difference.

back on topic now

just noticed you said lifted truck , could this be a problem with the steering rack binding as the angle will be different from the point where it meets the steering wheel (sorry cant think of the word but you know what i mean, hopefully)

pinion i think , yes rack and pinion , if you have lifted it i would imagine that the steering rack has got to be adjusted somehow to accomodate for the greater angle as the wheels are lower than the body.

Marcus

Marcus

Old 01-29-2010, 04:05 PM
Senior User

mat1971
actually forget rack & pinion , the ex uses a diferent system i think ?

but if its lifted then the problem will be similar i would imagine.

Marcus

Old 01-30-2010, 07:55 AM
Post Fiend

Our platforms don't use the rack and pinion style steering. It's a gear box with a pitman arm and drag links. The sharper the angle on the drag links, the more force it takes to push the spindles. However lift kits over 4" usually either come with or recommend a drop pitman arm to correct this to some degree, it's not a fix but more of a bandaid that works decently.

The fact is, big tires and lifts make things difficult for the power steering system. I'm only running 315/75r16s on stock wheels and my fluid only last a couple of years. My truck does have a power steering fluid cooler and I've considered upgrading it to a full sized transmission cooler.

Old 01-30-2010, 07:55 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Excursion - King of SUVs

Tags
150, 2000, 56, binding, difficult, excursion, f250, ford, issues, lifted, power, problems, steering, streering, truck, trucks