Sponsored by: Moser

Frame restoration

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 01:34 PM
tannersdad411
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Frame restoration

I have a frame for a '78 F250 that I would like to make over. I don't have the means to get my hands on a sand blaster or anything like that. What would be my best way to get the rust off as best as possible and what should I paint the frame with for best rust protection?? Also, I would like to replace all the leaf spring mounts, anyone have any ideas where I can purchase new ones, along with cab mounts, shock mounts and most any other mounts at this point??

Old 01-28-2010, 01:35 PM
tannersdad411
New User
Also looking for a decent cab.....

Old 01-28-2010, 01:47 PM
Behemoth
Laughing Gas
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
While the method I took was to take the frame to my nearest powdercoater, and had it blasted and coated, the cheaper options available would be to use wire wheels on your drill or grinder, and start grinding away the rust/grease/crud/etc. Once you get the frame relatively clean, and wipe it down with grease/wax remover, you can use products like POR-15, or Rust Bullet, or any other of a number of products that are supposed to convert the rust to an inert form and provide a strong protective coating. Basically, you'd only be into it for the cost of the wire wheels, the coating materials, and brushes, and time in labor.

Old 01-28-2010, 03:20 PM
BDawg171
Senior User
LOTS of time and labor. For $450 bucks you could have a 2HP 33gal compresor and soda(convertable to abrasive) blaster! I dont get why people dont just put the money out there for this equipment. Think of all the uses even beyond your truck! Hell rent it out at $30 a day to someone else to offset the cost. Now I know a permenant mount 60gal or larger compressor would be better suited, but I get away with the above set-up just fine!!! Small money for such convieniance IMO.

Old 01-28-2010, 04:16 PM
thekingofcows
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't know where you live, but here in North Mississippi we have dozens of rust free cabs.

Old 01-29-2010, 10:40 AM
Drac
Save the old ones

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Why do you want to replace all the mounts? Are they rusted out? if so then I would look for another frame.

Old 01-29-2010, 10:45 AM
Poison Oil Racing
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Drac
Why do you want to replace all the mounts? Are they rusted out? if so then I would look for another frame.
I assume he means the rubber mounts.

sandblasting/media blasting is the best way and I have done it in my driveway with a small workshop compressor. Make sure you scrape off all of the grease and big chunks of rust first.

POR15 when you are done and you are golden.

Old 01-29-2010, 11:29 AM
tannersdad411
New User
I am in New York, and trying to find a decent cab is not going to happen it seems. And, nope not the rubber mounts, I mean the actual mounts. The only ones that look bad are the cab mounts on my frame. The rest I was just going to replace for the heck of it. I have decide to purchase a small compressor and sand blast the frame. I will start posting pics as soon as I get started. Any body have any ideas about the cab mounts. They are solid but the opening where the bushings sit is pretty well shot. Would rather just replace them if possible.

Old 01-29-2010, 01:49 PM
74ford4x4
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can purchase cab mounts at NPD, Dennis Carpenter, LMC

Old 01-29-2010, 04:43 PM
Deluxetruck
Senior User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I feel your pain. My frame mounts for the cab were pretty well toast. The sides were fine, but the centers were thin or non-existent. I torched the hole out to where the metal was still thick by the edge. I then used a die grinder to clean up the slag. After making a cardboard template of each hole, I made patch pieces, welded it up, and ground it back into shape. I went to the cab and carefully measured the mounts so I could transfer that to the newly patched frame mounts. I used a hole saw to remake the factory hole. If that sounds like a pain in the ***, that's because it was. But, the frame is now repaired right, and you'd need to take the cab off to tell it's been repaired. I'm not aware of anyone reproducing the frame mounts for the cab. That would certainly be easier.

Also, I had the frame sandblasted by a pro. Then I had it sprayed with good epoxy primer followed by some black industrial paint. The stuffs made by Dupont and it's called Imron. It's the same stuff they paint semi chassis with. It looks great and it's bombproof.

My personal opinion is to forget about buying the equipment to blast it yourself. The portable sand blasting pots are good for little stuff, but for a frame it would be like trying to water your garden with a squirt gun. And that 33 gallon compressor is going to give you about a minute worth of blasting before you have to wait for it to catch up. Sandblasting requires a ton of air. The pros have gigantic air compressors and they can spray sand like a fire hose. There is no way I could have gotten my frame anywhere near as clean with my portable blast pot. I paid $500 total to have my frame blasted and painted.

Just my .02

-Jared

Old 01-29-2010, 05:38 PM
79FordBlake
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree with above. A sand blaster will probably burn up a little cheap compressor unless you give it time to build up air and cool in between cycles.

Old 01-29-2010, 06:36 PM
mikeo0o0o0
Hotshot
Received 203 Likes on 161 Posts
Originally Posted by tannersdad411
I am in New York, and trying to find a decent cab is not going to happen it seems. And, nope not the rubber mounts, I mean the actual mounts. The only ones that look bad are the cab mounts on my frame. The rest I was just going to replace for the heck of it. I have decide to purchase a small compressor and sand blast the frame. I will start posting pics as soon as I get started. Any body have any ideas about the cab mounts. They are solid but the opening where the bushings sit is pretty well shot. Would rather just replace them if possible.
Bronco Graveyard has "frame saver" repair mounts. Basically they're like large flat washers that you weld over the original mount hole. This will salvage the mounting hole.

Old 01-30-2010, 03:55 PM
Blackfoot Big Block
Tuned
Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
A couple of years ago I restored a K5 Blazer.

I took the frame and running gear to a sandblaster in SLC. It cost $350.00 to have everything done.

This year I bought a 110 lb sandblaster to use with my air compressor at home (5 HP, two-stage, 80 gallon tank). I sandblasted several items and I'll tell you it's not a fun job.

I would rather pay someone else to do a full frame.

Imron is great paint, but it has another spelling: e x p e n s i v e!

Old 01-30-2010, 05:28 PM
tannersdad411
New User
Thanks for all the information guys!! I'm going to start looking for some place to have the frame done. Hopefully the prices are as cheap around here.Pics will be posted as soon as I find the time to take some.

Old 01-31-2010, 03:36 PM
GIO23
Junior User
Hi im in NJ and i have a cab for sale purchased it for my project then found a complete parts truck with a good bed so i dont need the extra cab , from a 78 f250 very good shape send me a email if interested. i had it posted awhile back in the for sale section thanks,

Quick Reply: Frame restoration