1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4x4 ESOF/transfercase disengaging problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 07:56 PM
DieselJr
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4x4 ESOF/transfercase disengaging problem

I got a 2004 F-350 powerstroke with the electronic shift on the fly (ESOF) and the auto locking hubs. The last snow storm I noticed it did not seem like the hubs locked in once or twice while plowing, but that is not the real problem. I noticed when I was changing the oil the other day the front driveshift was locked in and not turning freely when the ESOF switch was turned to 2wd (the 4x4 light was not one either). I confrirmed with my wife driving the truck the front driveshaft was turning and locked in while in 2wd. I checked to see if the motor was working by switching the ESOF **** back and forth between 2 and 4 wheel drive and I can hear it engaging and disengaging. I did get under the truck and tried to turn the front driveshaft and it did free up, but when I shifted it back into 4x4 and back out again the driveshaft was locked in again. It appears something is not disengaging full, has anyone else had any problems like this? any suggestions on what the problem is?
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Old 01-28-2010, 08:59 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 297 Likes on 156 Posts
Jack up the front wheels off the ground, get underneath and see if it's the hubs, or the transfer case not disengaging.

It could be a couple of things in front, either the hubs not unlocking, the needle bearings (inner spindle bearing) locking to the front axle stubs, or the vacuum system is not getting the unlock signal right.

We'll work on it with you

Old 01-28-2010, 11:27 AM
DieselJr
New User
So I went to a garage that we bring our fleet vehicles to and I have known the owner for many years upon putting the truck on the lift and messing with the hubs we discovered the passenger side hub was sticking. I think I am going to go the warn manual hub route instead of putting another auto lokcing hub on it, I replaced the driver side last year when he did ball joints because it was seized up and would not come out. I do a substantial amount of plowing where I have to travel across town and I was always taught by my old man to always unlock the hubs when not using 4wd. What is everyones take on this as I was told by someone else once winter comes they leave their manual hubs locked in the whole winter and only take unlock them in the spring?

Old 01-28-2010, 11:49 AM
bpounds
Hotshot
Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by DieselJr
So I went to a garage that we bring our fleet vehicles to and I have known the owner for many years upon putting the truck on the lift and messing with the hubs we discovered the passenger side hub was sticking. I think I am going to go the warn manual hub route instead of putting another auto lokcing hub on it, I replaced the driver side last year when he did ball joints because it was seized up and would not come out. I do a substantial amount of plowing where I have to travel across town and I was always taught by my old man to always unlock the hubs when not using 4wd. What is everyones take on this as I was told by someone else once winter comes they leave their manual hubs locked in the whole winter and only take unlock them in the spring?
You can leave them locked all the time if you want. A lot of guys here lock them at the first sign of snow, and leave them locked all winter. Even those who have the auto hubs. I personally don't like to leave them locked at speeds above about 55 MPH, but there really isn't any reason why you can't other than fuel economy.

I like my auto hubs and would probably repair them, but the manuals replacements are a good way to go also.

Old 01-28-2010, 12:06 PM
DieselJr
New User
bpound I like my auto hubs as well, but at around $250 each to keep replacing one every year get a little expensive

Old 01-28-2010, 12:14 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by DieselJr
bpound I like my auto hubs as well, but at around $250 each to keep replacing one every year get a little expensive
Understood. And if you live where winter corrosion is a problem, that's probably the best way to go. Or else learn how to rebuild them yourself.