6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

08 F250 6.4 intermittent starting problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 08:55 AM
johnlowe
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
08 F250 6.4 intermittent starting problem

I have 2008 F 250 with a 6.4 diesel in it that has a intermittent starting problem. When it sits overnight in colder weather It will not crank. It has plenty of battery,fuses are good etc etc just no power to the starter . We have had it towed to the dealer twice and have dropped it off again for the third time. They have not been able to figure out what the problem is as of yet. They did show us how to bypass the wiring to get it to start when the condition occurs. This isn't what we had in mind when we bought a new truck. After the initial jumping of the wiring it will start fine for the rest of the day. We have not had the truck for a year yet and it only has around 20k on it. It definitely seems to be temperature related. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Old 01-27-2010, 09:52 AM
koboss1
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
i notice sometimes that there is a pause when i turn the key to the start position, but the truck always starts..i have noticed a pause after the key has been turned?

if this makes any sense

subscibing

koboss

Old 01-27-2010, 12:23 PM
Reave1
Senior User
I had the same problem and it is the batteries. If I get in and turn the key, wait for the glow plug light to turn off and try to start it wont crank. If I wait at least 30 seconds after the light it will turn over, but flash check brake system. If I start it after a plug in night or during the day no issues at all. What is happening is the cold crank amps needed to turn over the beast simply are not there. There is another thread from a day or two ago that addresses essentially the same thing its titled "Check Brake System". Due to the age of your truck your right in line with a good portion of us that are replacing batteries. Let us know what happens.

Old 01-27-2010, 12:48 PM
thw420
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by johnlowe
I have 2008 F 250 with a 6.4 diesel in it that has a intermittent starting problem. When it sits overnight in colder weather It will not crank. It has plenty of battery,fuses are good etc etc just no power to the starter . We have had it towed to the dealer twice and have dropped it off again for the third time. They have not been able to figure out what the problem is as of yet. They did show us how to bypass the wiring to get it to start when the condition occurs. This isn't what we had in mind when we bought a new truck. After the initial jumping of the wiring it will start fine for the rest of the day. We have not had the truck for a year yet and it only has around 20k on it. It definitely seems to be temperature related. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Is this a Job 2+ ?

The Job 1's have a different start method (maybe different ignition) than the Job 2+s.

With a JOB 1 you turn the key and hold it until the engine starts, like any car built in the past.

With a JOB 2+ you turn the key to start then let go immediately - the computer controls how long the crank occurs.

Ford calls it:

Diesel One Touch Start
• Diesel one touch start is included for all diesel
powered trucks.
• Enables faster starts with less effort.
• Move key to start position and release. Engine
starts without need to hold key in the start position.

Old 01-27-2010, 01:22 PM
johnlowe
New User
When this happens it doesn't matter if you jump it with another truck. You can leave it sit for hours on end and try it at random but it will still not crank. Usually by the time it gets to the dealer on the rollback it will start right up. It's like the bouncing from the ride to the dealer is just enough to make it start. I will mention to them to load test the batteries just in case.

Old 01-27-2010, 02:57 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,414 Likes on 1,009 Posts
seems like it may be a battery issue to me as well but to tell you the truth I don't think anyone has ever encountered this symptom

Old 01-27-2010, 07:59 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
What wires did they show you to mess with to get around the issue?

When did Motorcraft batteries become a POS? The factory batteries used to outlast replacements by a wide margin.

Old 01-27-2010, 09:54 PM
John7894
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Job 1 does it a little. I'll turn the key and there will a slight pause then it'll roll over. Only doe sit when it's real cold.

My bet is a relay that is not working right due to the temps...

Old 02-11-2015, 02:53 PM
deday
New User
I have a 2010 Lariat crewcab 6.4 diesel with similar issues. It's completely stock with 116,000 miles. Gauges all look good, no lights on that shouldn't be. Problem started intermittently after a cold night and has progressively gotten worse. One difference from the postings above is, mine will also NOT start when it is warm. Shaking the key in the ignition sometimes works but didn't today. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Old 12-11-2015, 11:16 AM
Salazac
New User
2010 F250 6.4 starting problem. how do you jump starter?

How do you jump the starter when your truck wouldn't turn over? The dealer is charging me $1200 for diagnostic to electrical and engine and to replace starter and all cylinodes. I need help!!

QUOTE=johnlowe;8427663]I have 2008 F 250 with a 6.4 diesel in it that has a intermittent starting problem. When it sits overnight in colder weather It will not crank. It has plenty of battery,fuses are good etc etc just no power to the starter . We have had it towed to the dealer twice and have dropped it off again for the third time. They have not been able to figure out what the problem is as of yet. They did show us how to bypass the wiring to get it to start when the condition occurs. This isn't what we had in mind when we bought a new truck. After the initial jumping of the wiring it will start fine for the rest of the day. We have not had the truck for a year yet and it only has around 20k on it. It definitely seems to be temperature related. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.[/QUOTE]

Old 12-11-2015, 11:39 AM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
Received 988 Likes on 761 Posts
"They did show us how to bypass the wiring to get it to start when the condition occurs. "

what did they show you to do...

Old 12-13-2015, 09:13 PM
Salazac
New User
The dealer didn't show me anything on how to bypass the wiring. they just said it was going to cost me a lot of money to get to the root of the problem. That's why I was asking you, for details on how to bypass and get my truck started. I towed my truck to the dealer the first time. If I get it started with the bypass then I can go get quotes from other mechanics on how to fix the problem and not pay thousands of dollars. If you can be as detailed as possible, that would help. Thanks!!!

Old 12-15-2015, 11:04 AM
fatboytx
Senior User
Maybe some low tech trouble shooting? Isolate inside cab versus under hood by heating one area versus the other. Maybe a 100 watt light bulb on an extension cord with a thermometer to make sure your getting the area heated up. If it starts every time you heat the cab, then I'd be looking inside the cab for a problem, not under the hood. Then, you can narrow it down further by just using a blow dryer to hit specific areas. Your dealer isn't going to do these sort of things but you might consider doing them yourself. Anything you learn will help you sort through the problem till you identify an area that when heated allows the truck to start every time. Take that info to the dealer.

Old 12-15-2015, 12:28 PM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
Received 988 Likes on 761 Posts
Originally Posted by Salazac
The dealer didn't show me anything on how to bypass the wiring. they just said it was going to cost me a lot of money to get to the root of the problem. That's why I was asking you, for details on how to bypass and get my truck started. I towed my truck to the dealer the first time. If I get it started with the bypass then I can go get quotes from other mechanics on how to fix the problem and not pay thousands of dollars. If you can be as detailed as possible, that would help. Thanks!!!
you said " They did show us how to bypass the wiring to get it to start when the condition occurs. "

when you say does not start....does it crank (spin)...do you hear just clicking noises...or nothing at all happens?