Manitoba / Saskatchewan Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: Fomoko1

Toyota USA/Canada stops selling and making models with stuck throttle issue

Old 02-03-2010, 04:38 PM
Fomoko1
Received 1,344 Likes on 1,104 Posts
Toyota's Troubles Are Just Beginning (TM)
2nd UPDATE:US Congress Plans Hearing On Toyota Recall-Rep Stupak - FOXBusiness.com
Business finance news - currency market news - online UK currency markets - financial news - Interactive Investor
''A statement put out by Rep. Henry Waxman (D., Calif.), the Energy & Commerce Committee chairman, said that "sudden acceleration events" in Toyota vehicles have led to 19 deaths in the past decade, nearly twice the number of deaths associated with similar events in cars manufactured by all other automakers combined. The statement said that information was based on NHTSA statistics.''

Old 02-03-2010, 10:32 PM
Northern Gal
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Fomoko1
Toyota's Troubles Are Just Beginning (TM)
2nd UPDATE:US Congress Plans Hearing On Toyota Recall-Rep Stupak - FOXBusiness.com
Business finance news - currency market news - online UK currency markets - financial news - Interactive Investor
''A statement put out by Rep. Henry Waxman (D., Calif.), the Energy & Commerce Committee chairman, said that "sudden acceleration events" in Toyota vehicles have led to 19 deaths in the past decade, nearly twice the number of deaths associated with similar events in cars manufactured by all other automakers combined. The statement said that information was based on NHTSA statistics.''
That is a very frightening statement, when you consider the consequences, lawsuits etc. and that being over the past 10 years! Glad I drive a Ford!

Old 02-04-2010, 08:46 AM
preppypyro
FTE Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
After that statement that Morris quoted, it kinda makes me feel safer I dont drive one either lol.

I would be curious to see what vehicles the accidents were on though. Percentages of total vehicles sold VS other companies may play a role in that.

Sounds like the guy in the first article is a little angry about having crappy tires lol. Not really sure what else his article really had to say but rant a little.

In the third article the guy said that this recall threatens the finances and reputation of Toyota, well no kidding, as it should! As with any company, when you start ignoring problems, this sort of thing happens.

I will admit I was still kinda surprised that they had to be pushed into this recall (mostly because of their past history of addressing their situations), but in the end they are reaping what they sow, and they deserve it, just like ford, gmc, dodge, and any others that try to cheap out!

Old 02-04-2010, 08:54 AM
sglaine
Posting Legend
I am glad I drive a Ford my self and for years I have said on FTE and to everyone else that Toyota would have there day for being cheap and low quality..

I guess I am right after all...

Old 02-04-2010, 09:03 AM
LaredoF350
Postmaster
The consumer will vote in the end like they always have. the imports came on the north american scene when the domestics were forcing susbstandard junk upon us. consumers voted with their wallets and the better quality of the import cars gave them huge market shares. This forced the domestics to build better cars. The consumer wins in every way - better value. If Toyota loses market share by this from either being too cheap (trying to make things cheaper to boost profits), or from the growing pains of becoming the biggest player too quickly >> there will be a market correction once again...

I didnt read the article but there was some reference to tires. the stock tires on superduties should be labelled as being 'for shipping only!!!) as the Generals on my last truck were junked at 33000 kms and the Contis on this one got sold at 7000 kms based on reading on the forums. I guess a 60 or 70000 dollar truck doesnt deserve to be fitted with good tires...

Old 02-04-2010, 09:14 AM
preppypyro
FTE Legend
Originally Posted by sglaine
I am glad I drive a Ford my self and for years I have said on FTE and to everyone else that Toyota would have there day for being cheap and low quality..

I guess I am right after all...
Well I wouldnt say that everything they make is cheap and low quality. They still make some good quality stuff, but have problems, just like everyone else.

Im sure you are well aware of some of fords quality problems over the years(just for example, every manufacturer has had quality issues), and realize that every manufacturer is going to have some sort of quality issue, sometime, with some of their vehicles.

Ford has had their day and are still paying for it for building cheap quality cars in the past, lets not make it out like they are innocent either!

On Edit. Good post Warren.

Old 02-04-2010, 11:30 AM
sglaine
Posting Legend
Originally Posted by preppypyro
Well I wouldnt say that everything they make is cheap and low quality. They still make some good quality stuff, but have problems, just like everyone else.

Im sure you are well aware of some of fords quality problems over the years(just for example, every manufacturer has had quality issues), and realize that every manufacturer is going to have some sort of quality issue, sometime, with some of their vehicles.

Ford has had their day and are still paying for it for building cheap quality cars in the past, lets not make it out like they are innocent either!

On Edit. Good post Warren.

Well in my terms of quality Toyota has been garbage..Ford has made there mistake's but Ford has been good with me also..Like my 99 f-250 I had and head gasket blew and they fixed it out of warranty at no cost to me..

Ford cars except Crown Vic I have had no use for and I would buy a Buick instead..

But my point of all of this is that Toyota has had a long standing history of sweeping problems under the carpet and pad there issues so customer does not know..That is a dishonest in my opinion

mark my word we have not heard the last thing about Toyota..AKA (Gong-Bong)

Old 02-04-2010, 11:49 AM
preppypyro
FTE Legend
What are your terms of quality? Do you do private vehicle testing of your own?
Out of curiousity, how many Toyotas have you owned, and what were the problems with them quality wise?

Im by no means a huge Toyota fan, but the facts and their reputation has come from somewhere, as well as their reputation now will change with this latest recall situation.

What were the carpet sweeping under problems that you speak of? Enlighten me, cause I havent heard of that, and I TRY my best to be well informed of the auto world, due to my genuine interest in auto's! IF that is true, then your right, that is dishonest, but lets face the facts, every vehicle company either does or has done that in the past.

Ford has been great for me, truck wise, hence Ive stuck with them, and developed a biased towards them, and will most likely continue to drive ford trucks, as long as they keep making what I need/like!
That doesnt mean I wont learn, and recognize their strengths and weakness's as well as other automobile companies, due to my automobile interest!

Heres a list of some other top recalls.
2009 - Ford completed a series of recalls dating 10 years and affecting 14 million vehicles due to faulty cruise control deactivation switch.

1996 - Ford recalls more than 8 million vehicles to replace defective ignition switches that could lead to electrical shorts and engine fires.

1971 - General Motors recalled 6.7 million vehicles due to engine mounts that separated from the vehicle and impacted the throttle.

2001 - Bridgestone Firestone recalled 6.5 million tires as part of defect investigation into rollovers of Ford Explorer sport utility vehicles.

1981 - GM recalled 5.8 million vehicles due to loose suspension bolts that affected steering.

2004 - GM recalled nearly 4 million pickups because of corroding tailgate cables.

Sources: U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration

Old 02-04-2010, 06:13 PM
sglaine
Posting Legend
What are your terms of quality? Do you do private vehicle testing of your own?
Out of curiousity, how many Toyotas have you owned, and what were the problems with them quality wise?

I would never think that a Tin can with wheels is quality at all..

I have driven them and I never owned one and never will..I do not trust them and never have,,

Peeled a lot of people out of them at accidents when I was on Fire Dept..

Sorry but cars like that resemble a tin can is not safe transportation in my eyes

Old 02-04-2010, 06:51 PM
FORD RANGER
Post Fiend
no thanx,
i'd rather drive my race car, its safer. the throttle doesn't stick and half the time i never use the brakes, but they do work.atleast.

Old 02-04-2010, 07:11 PM
LaredoF350
Postmaster
Sorry but cars like that resemble a tin can is not safe transportation in my eyes
Which small to mid size car isnt a tin can???

Old 02-04-2010, 07:18 PM
preppypyro
FTE Legend
Originally Posted by LaredoF350
Which small to mid size car isnt a tin can???
Exactly, thats very true! Like a ford focus is any tougher then a toyota corolla haha.

Im sorry sglaine, but those examples are pretty meaningless in terms of toyota quality compared to ford.

Thats more of a comparison like a econobox to a truck lol.

Old 02-04-2010, 08:23 PM
sglaine
Posting Legend
The Point is that I never trusted Toyota and never trusted there so-called Quality at all.

Sorry but I never fell into there simpleminded loyalty crap ether...

There so bad I can hear my neighbors Tundra (Gong-Bong ) Rusting as I am typing this post..

Period and end of story Toyota has had a long history about coming forth about issues until pressure is placed on them and check out the News tonight and the music is great about them

Old 02-04-2010, 08:33 PM
sglaine
Posting Legend
Exactly, thats very true! Like a ford focus is any tougher then a toyota corolla haha.

Im sorry sglaine, but those examples are pretty meaningless in terms of toyota quality compared to ford.

Thats more of a comparison like a econobox to a truck lol.

Shelden no offence but try doing a little reseach on how Toyota has places issues under the carpet and B/S customers..

And they have done that for years

I do not like Small cars to begin with no matter what they are..But Bottom line is I am like an attack dog about Toyota because I never liked them and never had a reason to believe there B/S..

Nor did I ever thing there products are good..OVER RATED B/S is what Toyota is..

Old 02-04-2010, 09:49 PM
preppypyro
FTE Legend
The Point is that I never trusted Toyota and never trusted there so-called Quality at all.
Period and end of story Toyota has had a long history about coming forth about issues until pressure is placed on them and check out the News tonight and the music is great about them
I know your loyalty falls with ford, nothing wrong with that. BUT Toyota has no long history about being pressured into quality control. Every company gets pressured into that somewhat, because they all realize that at the end of the day its dollars out of their own pocket. (think ford was happy about having to recall 14 MILLION vehicles for a cruise control recall that could cause a fire?! also the largest recall of any automaker so far)

Ive done tons of reading about recalls when they come out, and toyota HAD an outstanding track record of addressing their problems (till this episode) unlike the big three, who play the blame game, and deny till the last possible moment. AND thats well documented!

But Bottom line is I am like an attack dog about Toyota because I never liked them and never had a reason to believe there B/S..

Nor did I ever thing there products are good..OVER RATED B/S is what Toyota is..
I think the bottom line is, you have no experience with this auto manufacturer, you jump on a few problems they have had, over the tons of relatively good quality products they have made, and try to pass it off as everything they make is junk.
Do I think they are over rated? Yes. Do I think they make junk? Yes, I think every company produces some junk. Do I think they make some good quality stuff as well? You bet, its well documented.
Basically I think you just have a biased opinion, that holds little water because "you dont like them" (again, ever wonder what a hardcore toyota guy would say about fords 14 MILLION vehicle recall?)

I take ZERO offense in anything you say either, as I hope you do the same for me, (I LOVE to discuss this kinda stuff) but to this I have to say, google is your friend, do a little research yourself if you want to be informed, and while your at it, check out the 14 million recall that ford has, that TOPS the recall list, then tell me how you think isnt the same deal as what toyota is going through right now!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Toyota USA/Canada stops selling and making models with stuck throttle issue