6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Help.. Strange sound driving me insane..

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 07:18 PM
patwhite_01
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help.. Strange sound driving me insane..

Driving home from a job a couple hours away this morning I heard a sound, which kind of reminded me of the sound you can get if you use ****ty stereo equipment in your car. The sound of engine noise in your speakers. A somewhat high pitched buzzing. It was originating from the center of the dash, it would start when I reached around 110 km/h if i sped up it would go away at around 125. My truck is an 09 f350 fx4, (17000kms) I should also mention that it was quite cold outside. During the drive it was anywhere from -22 to -29 (C). The truck didn't seem to be running any differently.

I know this is kind of vague probably something you would have to hear for yourself, figured I would try here before I book it in for an appointment tomorrow.

Old 01-26-2010, 09:23 PM
caprang
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Interesting - I recently started hearing a high pitch noise, somewhat like a microphone feedback noise, but its not steady. Some trips I never hear it, others it does it a lot. It just started 2k miles ago but I installed Vent Visors about 2-3 weeks before the first time I heard it so thought that must be the source. Mine only does it at highway speeds too. Its only been cold since I noticed it so I cant say yet if it does it in warmer weather.

Old 01-26-2010, 09:33 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
possible something along the lines of a heater core hum?

Old 01-27-2010, 06:27 AM
caprang
Posting Guru
Not sure if the OP and I have the same issue but...... I have tried turning off the radio, heater, etc and no luck finding any source yet. I still think my problem is the vent visor (too coincidental) but based on what the OP finds I may rethink that.

Old 01-27-2010, 12:43 PM
patwhite_01
Freshman User
I dont have vent visors on my truck, I am going to go mess around with it today and see if I can find out a little more before I take it in. I hate going in with problems like these, takes all day and they usually dont find anything...

Old 01-28-2010, 02:06 PM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
If it is electrical interference coming through your audio speakers, it's 1 or both batteries going bad.

If you are going high speed and there are gusty winds, it's the windshield wipers vibrating.

People say that when the batteries wear down, feedback noise and check brake messages appear. The windy condition is something I deal with now and then. I don't have personal experience with the battery problem.

Old 01-28-2010, 11:58 PM
patwhite_01
Freshman User
Interesting points, cant really see my batteries going bad already although i suppose its possible. I haven't heard the noise since that morning but I have a long drive to do tomorrow so i'll see it it comes up again.

Old 01-29-2010, 04:34 PM
caprang
Posting Guru
Hmmm, I switched to the winter blades not too long ago but I ran them on my 05 and 06 with no noise.

Old 01-29-2010, 05:23 PM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
This is the thread that I get the info from. There have been a couple about noises and batteries going bad too.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...ak-system.html

It could be anything, this is just fresh in the mind.......

Old 01-29-2010, 07:50 PM
LaxPlaya21
Posting Guru
I used to get that sound in another truck, but it was a bad ground in the stereo system. It would wind up when I would accelerate.

Old 01-30-2010, 07:15 PM
caprang
Posting Guru
Not trying to hijack thread because I dont know 100% if the OP and I have the same noise or not but I will share what I found/didnt find today.

Hit about 65 and the noise started. I turned off the climate control, still there. Turned off radio, still there. Hit the wiper/washer fluid, still there, no change at all. Cracked my window, still there. I tried holding my hand in certain spots on the vent visor (16 degrees regular temp so 65 mph winds on bare hands felt fantastic) but I was unable to do anything that made it go away.

Its not a steady sound. It seems to only happen above 65 mph. It sounds like a high pitch vibration sound and sounds like its coming from the drivers side of dash.

Old 01-30-2010, 07:36 PM
jonhas
New User
i have heard a noise that is very similar to the one described in my 98 f150 4.6l 4x4. It sounds to be coming from under the hood and only appears at around 2000-2200 rpm. I have heard it on the highway and on the back streets at lower speeds.
haven't heard it in warm weather, only when it is below -20 degrees celcius.
I have absolutely no idea what causes this but it does sound electrical in nature to some extent but also sounds mechanical such as a belt or pulley problem. this also leads me back to another issue is that i cant get more than 6 months out of a serp belt,i have tried 4 different brands and recently purchased a goodyear gator back which i havent put on yet. possibly a pulley issue , definetly not an idler or tensioner as they have been the first things to be replaced when this issue occurs.
I usually slow down or speed up depending on where it occurs.

Old 01-31-2010, 05:09 AM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
caprang, this is the same noise i get. At least it sounds right. I am convinced that it is the driver side windshield wiper fluttering against the glass.

Volkswagen's and Audi's had little air wings in the wiper blades back in the 80's. Ever since I changed to the new Bosch wiper blades I have not heard the sound. They are very thin, no metal frame, just the blade shaped like a little spoiler.

Old 02-03-2010, 01:02 PM
tntjim
New User
tntjim

I have the same noise and 2008 F350 is at the shop now they said it is the y pipe in the exhaust I have had to have it replaced once before think it has something to do with the sticking egr valve only have the noise when it is cold out

Old 02-03-2010, 06:54 PM
caprang
Posting Guru
tntjim, does yours only do it at highway speeds or do you notice it other times too?

Quick Reply: Help.. Strange sound driving me insane..