Sponsored by:

how does your x handle after lifting?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 03:12 PM
4griffins
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how does your x handle after lifting?

I am going to get my X lifted 4" and was wondering how different they drive once lifted. Can anyone tell me how it handles, please?

Thanks,

Todd

Old 01-26-2010, 03:22 PM
RMBC Freeride
Elder User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mine drives great, No complaints.

I went with F-350 V-code springs up front with a Tuff-Country 2.5" Leveling kit. All together it gave me almost 5" of lift! (more than I expected)

In the rear i did f-250 "c-code" springs (without the overloads) and had to add one leaf from my Excursion spring pack, plus the "snubber" from the EX to get it level with the front.

Nevertheless it rides great. I used Rancho rs9000 shocks BTW.

Hope that helps.

On a side note, maybe some of us Colorado EX guys should meet up sometime? I've chatted with a couple other board members from Colo. Springs with 7.3 Excursions... just a thought.

And if I can be any help with your lift, let me know...

Old 01-26-2010, 04:15 PM
soutthpaw
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would say it handles better than unlifted. I have had many lifted vehicles and all have handled great. just look for a kit with lots of leaves in the spring pack. more thinner leaves are generally softer ride than a few thick ones.. for example the rancho springs on the front of my Ex is a 9 leaf spring pack compared to factory 2 leaf setup... come on down for a ride sometime. Definitely need to do a Colorado Ex get together...

Old 01-26-2010, 04:17 PM
X-Hibition
Elder User
Sorry to interrupt the Colorado love fest...

My lift took place in stages, first the five inch all spring lift with stock wheel and tires. The ride was way better than stock, especially being up off the front snubbers. Then I added some slightly taller tires (33") with the 18" wheels I bought. I ran that combo only until I could pick out the 35s that I wanted. The ride was still better than stock. With the addition of the 35s (and new gears and LSD) it now does everything I want, but the ride is now a little more harsh. I still love it though.

So yes, you can expect changes, but they don't have to be bad.

Old 01-26-2010, 04:30 PM
4griffins
Senior User
here's the thing. I needed new tires a few months ago and bought some 20" rims with 305s on them off of CL. I had them put on but did not get an alignment...wanders all over the place.

My wife drives my Ex on Fridays for school carpool and has told me that I have to get it fixed.

With the 4" lift and 35s (plus alignment when they are on) needs to be a more controlled ride or I am in trouble!

Looking at either a Pro Comp or Super Lift.

Thanks for the input sofar...

and YES, we should set up a CO GTG sometime this summer!

Todd

Old 01-26-2010, 04:50 PM
RMBC Freeride
Elder User

I agree with DJ & "Mr Idaho ", it is better than stock as long as your lift replaces the springs. A shackle lift with EX stock springs would make it worse, I'm sure.

Sounds like you need to address some or all of the EX wandering issues. A lift that replaces the springs will take care of part of it... then there's the steering box, ball joints, alignment, etc... Lots of threads out there about wandering

Old 01-26-2010, 05:01 PM
ajorn
Senior User
Not to hijack...but I'd be up for an Ex meeting in CO. This weekend? I'll fixing a leak on the Ex...I'm on the very south side of the springs..more then welcome to stop and have some beverages...

Old 01-26-2010, 05:21 PM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 279 Likes on 142 Posts
Mine handles worlds better than stock, it looks awesome, rides way better than stock. Towed 8K with it a few weeks ago and it hardly squatted while towing flawlessly...

Old 01-26-2010, 05:28 PM
RMBC Freeride
Elder User

Originally Posted by ajorn
Not to hijack...but I'd be up for an Ex meeting in CO. This weekend? I'll fixing a leak on the Ex...I'm on the very south side of the springs..more then welcome to stop and have some beverages...
Sundays are best for me!

Old 01-26-2010, 07:15 PM
dvldog458
Elder User
I went with the BDS 8" all spring kit. Even my wife likes the lifted ride better then the stock suspension.

Old 01-26-2010, 07:48 PM
soutthpaw
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by 4griffins
here's the thing. I needed new tires a few months ago and bought some 20" rims with 305s on them off of CL. I had them put on but did not get an alignment...wanders all over the place.

My wife drives my Ex on Fridays for school carpool and has told me that I have to get it fixed.

With the 4" lift and 35s (plus alignment when they are on) needs to be a more controlled ride or I am in trouble!

Looking at either a Pro Comp or Super Lift.

Thanks for the input sofar...

and YES, we should set up a CO GTG sometime this summer!

Todd
if its still wandering after the lift and alignment then you have other issues going on.... I just went through several repairs/mods but my issue was coming from trailer sway when towing .. empty it was fine. Its much better now with and without towing..... do you have the printout from the before and after settings of the alignment ? make sure each side and combined toe is showing a + value and that the thrust angle on the rear axle is not way out of whack... Also I would bet money you are due for a new steering box due to wear....
if your ball joints or tie rod ends were bad then a good repair shop doing the alignment should have caught it and told you about it

Old 01-26-2010, 08:34 PM
Rickx
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd like to meet also. I would like to lift mine as well.

Old 01-27-2010, 08:33 AM
Boostcrazy99
Senior User
I'm running a 6" procomp lift on 35" BFG KM2's. Single shocks on all four corners and I like it. The factory suspension sat about 1" from the front bump stops so it would bottom out alot. The ride is stiffer but I wouldn't call it harsh. Although the same lift on the F250 rides like a lumber wagon. I think the excursion rides better due to the extra weight it carries.

Old 01-27-2010, 08:57 AM
TeamMudd
Posting Guru
you can also look into skyjacker 4" spring packs. they sell a 4" kit for an average of $15-$1700 bucks, but if you buy the springs in pairs they are $500 per pair +/-, and then all you need is a u-bolt kit, and a trac-bar bracket and you'll save some coin!

you might even be able to re use the old u-bolts. and just get the trac bar bracket separate and you'll be good to go.

Old 01-27-2010, 04:01 PM
hwybee22
Posting Guru
Mine handles like a sports car at high speeds and like a boat on a really rough road. As long as the road is fairly smooth, you'll be impressed at the ride. Just check out your steering box and the other suspect problems of your wandering.

Quick Reply: how does your x handle after lifting?