1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

a/c procedures?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 06:29 PM
Danger_Dave
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
a/c procedures?

can someone please explain the procedures for evacuating and recharging on these vehicles? which ports to vacuum and charge from, bypassing low/high pressure sensors, as well as any other info? i have done a/c work before but not on anything with this complicated of a setup. thanks.

Old 01-25-2010, 06:40 PM
pgw85706
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Check Rockledge's post in the stickie section.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...arging-ac.html

Old 01-26-2010, 04:17 PM
Danger_Dave
Fleet Mechanic
ahh very nice thanks. i searched all over for something like that, the tech section has like 50 articles, but couldnt find nothing related to a/c

Old 01-28-2010, 02:41 PM
L Corwin
New User
If your going to evac the system anyway it might be a good as any time to replace all the orings in the lines. They come in a pack from any autoparts store for about five bucks, and so long as you have the seperater tools you might save losing your whole charge when you fill it back up.
Theres nothing worse than having 30 bucks worth of gas and lube just hiss right on back out after you thought you were done

Old 01-28-2010, 03:04 PM
chemblem
New User
Danger_Dave, It seemed like you got your answer so I hope you don't mind my hijacking your thread but my a/c only works after I drive after about 20 minutes of driving.

I'm thinking I probably just need to recharge it, which I can do myself, but if it sounds like a system problem I will have to take it in.

What do you think? Thank you in advance.

Old 01-28-2010, 05:06 PM
Danger_Dave
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by L Corwin
If your going to evac the system anyway it might be a good as any time to replace all the orings in the lines. They come in a pack from any autoparts store for about five bucks, and so long as you have the seperater tools you might save losing your whole charge when you fill it back up.
Theres nothing worse than having 30 bucks worth of gas and lube just hiss right on back out after you thought you were done
yeah unfortunately i will have to do that when the summertime comes around. the little ***** i bought the truck off of lied to me and it has a slow leak. but other than that the truck runs like a swiss watch and its in good shape. for now i just dumped a can into it so that its within range. i know a/c is a very complicated scientific thing and i will definitely be doing it right when the time comes. my 69 blows 32 degrees out the vents.

Old 01-28-2010, 05:12 PM
Danger_Dave
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by chemblem
Danger_Dave, It seemed like you got your answer so I hope you don't mind my hijacking your thread but my a/c only works after I drive after about 20 minutes of driving.

I'm thinking I probably just need to recharge it, which I can do myself, but if it sounds like a system problem I will have to take it in.

What do you think? Thank you in advance.
do you mean it only works on the highway? like 20 minutes of hard driving? this could be that it is only capable of compressing the gas at a certain rpm due to a weak compressor, low oil, or low charge, or its only capable of condensing it at a certain degree of airflow through the condenser. could be contaminated with moisture or air. i would recommend investing in a set of gauges and a couple of books to learn how to do a/c work. you need to be prepared to educate yourself and not line a mechanics pockets with cash. i built my whole a/c system on my f100 from the ground up and refuse to ever take any of my vehicles to a mechanic for anything. not even tire changes. if you just got the truck and havent worked on it at all then theres no telling what was done to it. the air conditioner could be overcharged with dog fart gas for all you know.

Old 01-28-2010, 10:12 PM
chemblem
New User
It works after a while in all conditions. I bought the truck new in 2001 and I have 120K miles on it so I figured I was due for a charge. I think I will take your advice and figure it out myself and thanks to your help I will know what to look for.

Thank you for your help!!