Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Dentsides Ford Truck

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-05-1999, 12:26 PM
New User

ga1998 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Chevy engine swap??????

Hello all, I have a rather odd question. My friends son has just got a Ford F150, 1979. He wants to put a 350 chevy engine and transmission into this body. I told him that I didn't know if it could be done to rebuild the Ford engine (6cyl) but he is going to college and has built this chevy engine and transmission for 4 years now, is on a very limited budget, and his grand dad gave him this Ford body. Is there anyone that makes a conversion kit or that has information that can help me to help this kid? He assures me that he will fly the blue oval on the grill
Thanks for all your help.
Gerald
Old 09-05-1999, 12:35 PM
Posting Guru

sparky is starting off with a positive reputation.
Chevy engine swap??????

Aren't you worried about organ rejection?
Seriously it can be done but I am sure it will be a complex project. I know of one person who converted a 60's Ford Falcon to a Ch@v 350 setup. Good luck.

Junk is something you've kept for years
and throw away three weeks before you need it.
Old 09-05-1999, 12:43 PM
New User

ga1998 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Chevy engine swap??????

I know that getting the air/ps/and alt will be so much fun but he has time and loves to cut and weld...
Thanks for all your help.
Gerald
Old 09-05-1999, 05:28 PM
Senior User

Fordman is starting off with a positive reputation.
Chevy engine swap??????

This is going to be a very complex process. The frame rails are different widths if I remember correctly. The motormounts might for some odd reason match the holes in the frame but I doubt it. Im sure someone has done it because the 2 brands have been around too long for this swap not to happen. As the others said there will be quite a bit of fabrication and cutting. As for the tranny I dont know how different the mounts are between the 2. This sounds like a fun project but make sure he takes his time and doesnt screw everything up. Good luck

Fordman
Old 09-05-1999, 06:00 PM
Post Fiend

jowilker is a splendid one to beholdjowilker is a splendid one to beholdjowilker is a splendid one to beholdjowilker is a splendid one to beholdjowilker is a splendid one to beholdjowilker is a splendid one to behold
https://www.facebook.com/?ref=tn_tnmn jowilker
Chevy engine swap??????

Man If you have a heart, or soul take this crap somewhere else. This is a Ford List. This sir, is a respectable place, that women and children can visit.
Old 09-06-1999, 12:09 AM
Posting Guru

390fe is starting off with a positive reputation.
Jason Kendrick
Chevy engine swap??????

It could work with a lot of cutting, welding, and fabrication. Might be worth it to try and talk him into selling the truck and buying a Ch*vy, scince he's put so much time and effort into the motor already. As far as any kind of "conversion kit", he's on his own!
'93 Mercury Topaz 2.3L
'99 Ford Windstar SEL (bad transmission - For sale)
Old 09-06-1999, 01:29 PM
Senior User

chenders is starting off with a positive reputation.
Chevy engine swap??????

I am totally against *******izing the ford, but I know that Chev 350 can be mounted all most anywhere with out too much welding. The ps and wiring as not going to be that difficult, the gm alt has the regulator built in.

Good luck on your project and in School.

The University of Michigan
"Go Blue"

Old 09-06-1999, 02:20 PM
Post Fiend

jowilker is a splendid one to beholdjowilker is a splendid one to beholdjowilker is a splendid one to beholdjowilker is a splendid one to beholdjowilker is a splendid one to beholdjowilker is a splendid one to behold
Chevy engine swap??????

But the truck will only run backards.
Old 09-06-1999, 05:08 PM
Postmaster

Pastmaster is starting off with a positive reputation.
Chevy engine swap??????

>But the truck will only run backards.
>
Thats a good one-Jowilker

Old 09-06-1999, 10:16 PM
Gerald Ash

Chevy engine swap??????

Ok gang, I went and purchased a ch#*y pickup and traded for the Ford. He is happy.
I am sorry if your women and children can't see the ford/chevy cross.
I now have a problem. The only engine/transmission I have is from a 1988 Ford 5.0 efi/ado auto. I know the link for a kit to shift the transmission. Can I put an aftermarket intake and carb on this engine without changing the roller cam? and expect preformance? Do I have to change the distrubtor and if so will the Duraspark for a 302 of that year work?
Any help will be appreciated.
Gerald Ash
Old 09-08-1999, 08:34 AM
Senior User

Bruce is starting off with a positive reputation.
Chevy engine swap??????

Gerald:

Good move. Let him play with his chevy. He's in college and still has many lessons to learn. I own 10 vehicles, 9 Fords plus my wife's Volvo (which is now a Ford because Ford bought Volvo).

When it comes to raw horsepower a carb is better than port EFI. The reason is quite simple: the longer the fuel has to vaporize the better combustion you will have, therefore the more HP you can make, everything else being equal.

The trade-off is that EFI usually runs a little smoother, gets better mileage and is easier to start, especially on those cold mornings.

Good Luck and have fun.

Bruce
Old 09-08-1999, 12:12 PM
Post Fiend

Chevy engine swap??????

Gerald, have you thought about an aftermarket computer to run the transmission and the EFI. I think that I have seen that discussed on Shadetree Machanic TNN sat. afternoon.

Trucking magazines would be a good place to look.

John
Old 10-22-1999, 09:20 AM
Senior User

TomC is starting off with a positive reputation.
Chevy engine swap??????

Old 10-28-1999, 11:44 PM
Junior User

mike is starting off with a positive reputation.
Chevy engine swap??????

hey, yeah you can put he carb and intake on the 5.0 I had a 88 stang and was going to do it but some ******* stole it. THe only thing is the distributor gear and drive shaft for the oil pump. there are two diffrent ones and you have to use the one for your roller cam. not a problem. check out some mustang message forums that is where i found out about it.
Old Yesterday, 01:02 PM
New User

NoBowTiesHere is starting off with a positive reputation.
I see a large benefit in the swap tho, very large quantity of ch3vy's at your local pic a parts, but then again THATS ALSO SAYING SOMETHING!
Old Yesterday, 01:02 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks

Tags
400, 406, 62, carb, carbureted, chevy, conversion, engine, f100, f100chevyengine, ford, intake, motor, put, swap, swap1966