Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

no brake lights

Old 11-02-1999, 03:57 AM
mike
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
no brake lights

i have a problem w/my brake lights, they don't work. i have turn signals and tail lights, but no brake lights. i have bypassed the switch on the master cylinder that is the brake switch but still no progress,please help.

Old 11-02-1999, 06:33 AM
jowilker
Fleet Owner

Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts
no brake lights

Mike, The brake lite uses tha same element as the turn signal.
With the switch on one of the wires at the Mas. cly. should be hot. Use a piece of metal and connect the two, and see if you have brake lites. If you do replace the switch at the mas. cyl.

John

Old 11-02-1999, 03:25 PM
Dill
no brake lights

I'm sure you checked this but I believe there are seperate fuses for the brake lights and tail lights.

Old 11-02-1999, 07:04 PM
GWB
Senior User
no brake lights

Just was wondering if there has been any tran or clutch work lately. Twice I have seen the cross member laying on the wiring harness and a few weeks later rub though.
Also in the older truck the wireing end go bad to the switch. alot of time it easier to cut off and install new ends

Old 11-04-1999, 12:03 AM
mike
Junior User
no brake lights

thanks for the help, i checked to see if i was getting juice to the switch at the master cylinder. and i aint. so where should i go from there?

Old 11-04-1999, 07:21 AM
jowilker
Fleet Owner

no brake lights

Mike, we'd like to help, but can't hold your hand. Go to post 1 and then 2 then 3. Run the wire backwards to the fuse block. Was the ign. switch on?

John

Old 11-05-1999, 03:39 AM
mike
Junior User
no brake lights

>Mike, we'd like to help, but can't
>hold your hand. Go to post
>1 and then 2 then 3.
>Run the wire backwards to the
>fuse block. Was the ign. switch
>on?
>John
hey, thanks for what you have said to me so far. today i was messing with it and i turned on the ignition and headlight switch, i had juice at the brake light switch. i had my old lady look and see if i had brake lights when i jumped the switch. she said she didn't see any brake lights coming on. so then i stopped messing with it and went in the house. i came back out later and was going to try it again, i did the same thing as last, turned on the lights and the ignition. when i checked for juice this time at the switch there wasnt any. could that be in a switch somewhere? this weekend i am going to start digging on it. can you explain to me how the wiring system for the rear lighting is laid out so i will have a better understanding this weekend? i dont have a manual yet. thanks so far, man.

Old 11-05-1999, 10:23 AM
jowilker
Fleet Owner

no brake lights

Mike The best thing to do is lay your hands on the wires and follow them. BTW the brake lights work with out the headlights being on, so I don't get that connection.

At the master cylinder, you depress the pedel to trigger the switch. 1- with the ignition switch ON one of the 2 wires connected to the brake light switch should be hot (find it). This is simple, don't try to make it complicated. 2- unplug the other wire, and with a test light in hand, have someone (the old lady will do fine) press the brake pedel. The exposed post on the brake light switch at the master cylinder should be hot (circut complete) if not replace the switch, if it is, place the wire back on and follow the wire to the brake light bulbs. You should find the problem along the way.

Old 11-05-1999, 11:06 AM
Phillip Guidry
Posting Guru
no brake lights

first,lets set one thing sraight,the ignition does not have to be ON for the BRAKE or HAZARD lights to function when they are applied or turned on.You should have battery voltage at the brake light switch(RED) at all times,if the fuse and the wire is good.The fuse for the hazard is the same and the RED wire comes from the hazard flasher.Sometimes the fuse just needs to be removed & reinstalled,creating a good contact(FORD Courier experiences).If the RED wire is hot,jump the 2 wires at the master cyl.(pre-1967)and check for juice at the steering column/turn signal switch(RED-BLK).If the juice has made it to this point,repair the defective turn signal switch.
Phillip

Old 11-05-1999, 01:38 PM
jowilker
Fleet Owner

no brake lights

Mike What year model is your truck, that we are trying to help you with?

John

Old 11-05-1999, 02:23 PM
jowilker
Fleet Owner

no brake lights

Mr Guidry, please take a seat and raise your hand before you jump up next time. If this is the same Mike with the 65 F100, you are incorrect. You have made me drive 4 miles one way to my shop to get my test light and I checked both of my 66F100s and The igition DOES have to be on before there is power at the brake light switch.

You may know a lot about newer truck electronics, but I believe there is more for you to learn about the old ones.

To be fair to you I checked my 97 Taurus and the brake lights do work with out the ignition switch being on.

I was driving the 66 when it was new.

Respectfully

John

Old 11-05-1999, 08:08 PM
GWB
Senior User
no brake lights

Also you may have to unsrew the fuse box and turn it around and look at the back side. Over time the connection fail on the output side of the fuse holder giving the inpression that fuse is good and power is going out. water/time/heat and wrong fuses help cause this.

Old 11-06-1999, 09:39 PM
Mulletwagon
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
no brake lights

Once had the same problem in a 67 Mustang. Turned out to be a bad turn signal switch assembly. Think it had something to do with the integral hazard switch. Good Luck.

Old 11-08-1999, 01:37 AM
mike
Junior User
no brake lights

hey thanks for the reply, i have a queation for ya. i am looking for a company that sells replaceable balljoints for a 66 mustang. i am looking for the kind that you can bolt in to the lower control arm instead of buying the whole damn control arm. the used to sell them that way but i can't seem to find them any more. i am installing them on a 66 ranchero, but mustang will work. please reply.

Old 11-08-1999, 10:01 PM
Mulletwagon
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
no brake lights

>hey thanks for the reply, i have
>a queation for ya. i am
>looking for a company that sells
>replaceable balljoints for a 66 mustang.
>i am looking for the kind
>that you can bolt in to
>the lower control arm instead of
>buying the whole damn control arm.
>the used to sell them that
>way but i can't seem to
>find them any more. i am
>installing them on a 66 ranchero,
>but mustang will work. please reply.
>

Know exactly what you mean. My sources all show assemblies only. I have changed the lower joint assembly on two Mustangs (65 and 67) and needed the frame section because my originals were beat up and badly rusted. A great place to post your question is www.vintage-mustang.com. You will be inundated with good advice; it is an excellent site.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: no brake lights