Sponsored by:

Who hates a Prius?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 02:31 AM
05ExcursionatorCA
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Who hates a Prius?

Why is it that Prius drivers/ owners hate us? Why do we always get weird looks from the people that drive those dam lunch boxes? Whats your worst Prius encounter? The other day the wife and I were driving the Ex, and all of a sudden we are getting passed up by an angry prius driver, he got all brave and swerved in front of me for no evident reason. He probably didn't realize that we weighed about 3 times more than him. Im a mellow driver and dont drive like an idiot. Whats the problem with them? Whats your story?

Old 01-22-2010, 03:06 AM
Erikh425
Junior User
I was at a gas station and got to talking to a guy who had some type of "economical vehicle". Turned out we were making the same trip. He asked what I got for mileage and then scoffed at me and told me what he got. He then said something about a carbon footprint. At that point I pointed out that he only had room for two people in his car. I had 6 people, room for our gear and enough room for him and his wife to join us if they wanted to park their coffin and ride with us. I even told him he could pick the next movie.
So as it turned out we were getting pretty much the same mileage per person. Also, I knew my family would be safe in a crash. From my perspective the foolish person is the one who thinks he is saving the world at the expense of his family's safety, Great trade.
So do I hate a prius? No, I think they are a great idea for saving money. I do not however believe that by driving one a person will save the earth.
I think there are people on this board that have both an Ex and a Prius. The Ex will always be my choice for a family hauler.
So there is my rant for the day. I have been working since 8am and it is now almost 3am. So I am sorry if this doesn't make sense. I am going to enjoy an adult beverage and take a nap.
EH

Old 01-22-2010, 04:54 AM
scraprat
Lead Driver
Received 2,490 Likes on 1,301 Posts
Can't really hate the prius. They just seem to attract more than there share of "tree huggers". When someone makes the stupid comment of carbon foot print, I'll respond back that I'm doing everything I can to use as much as I can. That usually will give them something to really bitch about.

Old 01-22-2010, 05:06 AM
Skip1970
Hotshot
Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
those little cars are death traps! you may save allot on gas, but boy you will make it up in hospital bills or funerals.

Old 01-22-2010, 06:00 AM
tdappleman
Fleet Mechanic
I think the Prius is just too complicated and expensive for what you truly get. You don't need the batteries, controllers, etc to get good mileage - properly designed compact cars have been getting good mileage for years. One of my guys has been driving a Yaris and is getting 45mpg on his commute to the shop. It costs about half what a Prius does. The attitude which seems to come along with the Prius is really the problem for me - you aren't better than me just because you chose to drive one. I bet their mileage is as inflated as diesel Ex's......

Old 01-22-2010, 06:45 AM
katiesdad7
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I feel like the military feels. I want protection. Tanks are not made out of plastic to save on fuel, they are made of armor to protect the occupants. We all have a CHOICE in how we spend our money. When I spend my money I choose to get a vehicle that will protect me and my family if we get into an accident.

Lots of folks say that you can't put a price on life. Well I differ with that opinion. What is a life worth? Priceless? Not! Dante Stalworth KILLED a guy walking across the street and only got 30 days in jail. Mike Vick didn't kill anyone and got 2 years. So it seems that a pets life is worth more than a persone life.

Sorry to get off topic. My point is that I don't fault them for CHOOSING to put their families in danger by buying such vehicles. But don't fault me for CHOOSING to spend my money protecting mine.

Old 01-22-2010, 07:00 AM
HUBBSTER
Senior User
I actually own a Prius and an X

Got the Prius for my GF to drive our 14 month old son around in. She avoids highways and drives light to light in town so the Prius is perfect for her and when $ is tight its nice to be able to go 2 weeks on 1 tank of gas

The X is our bus when we have to carry lots of stuff. Its also my emergency vehicle should it hit the fan and I have to get out of town quick w the GF, baby, 3 cats etc. This stuff actually does happen in FL every now and then when we get hurricanes. Luckily it hasn't happened for a few years now

Before I bought the Prius U was driving my 07 Z06 in LA when some dork in a Prius drove up and gave me a dirty look. Thats it, thats my story.

I'll take my Z06 over the Prius in a heartbeat

and that carbon footprint BS is just some made up Commie crap to justify raising our taxes w Cap & Trade but thats seems to be just another Dem pipedream now since they lost their Supermajority I love Senator Brown

Old 01-22-2010, 07:32 AM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Can u tell us how it really saves though ???

I think both initial purchase (for NOT all, but most) is illogical, and mpg savings are as well...

Many traded in and lost $1000 on their trade in...
Many do not use it as designed...
it was designed for urban commutes - in town, stop light to stop light...
get it out on the road and it's just like any small engined vehicle -
except twice as complex and twice as expensive

I was passed by one on the tollway the other day and I would guess he was going 75 or 80 ? didn't know they would go that fast

safety to me would be an issue too....
and with $3000 worth of hazardous material laced batteries that will have to be replaced and disposed of.... well.... as with most of the Goreism's we hear, not based on logic

Old 01-22-2010, 09:33 AM
soutthpaw
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well they will be real cheap to buy in CA in a year when they can no longer use the carpool lanes

Old 01-22-2010, 10:44 AM
whjco
Elder User
I don't dislike a Prius and they make sense for in-town stop and go driving. It's Corolla cousin actually gets better mileage over the road. I think it comes down to personal lifestyle and driving habits.

Old 01-22-2010, 12:07 PM
89CrewCab
Mountain Pass
Actually, I heard or read somewhere where Ford SDs or Excursions actually are MORE environmentally friendly than the Prius, when counting the ENTIRE life of the vehicle --> manufacturing to disposal. Sure they save gas, but what the impact of manufacturing and disposing of all of those batterys will have on the environment?

Old 01-22-2010, 12:52 PM
HUBBSTER
Senior User
Originally Posted by jdadamsjr
Can u tell us how it really saves though ???

I think both initial purchase (for NOT all, but most) is illogical, and mpg savings are as well...

Many traded in and lost $1000 on their trade in...
Many do not use it as designed...
it was designed for urban commutes - in town, stop light to stop light...
get it out on the road and it's just like any small engined vehicle -
except twice as complex and twice as expensive

I was passed by one on the tollway the other day and I would guess he was going 75 or 80 ? didn't know they would go that fast

safety to me would be an issue too....
and with $3000 worth of hazardous material laced batteries that will have to be replaced and disposed of.... well.... as with most of the Goreism's we hear, not based on logic
I usually buy my cars used as I hate getting the depreciation hit. So I got the Prius at near 50% off the new price back After gas had dropped from $5 back down to $2 something. Nobody was interested in them at $2 a gallon so I snapped 1 up cheap.

I usually drive it in town, shopping, etc. My GF insists on driving it across Alligator Alley where I'd much rather take my BMW M5 out. The Prius is just screaming at 65+ like a fat man in a running race. I cranked it up to 105 and the thing sounded like it wanted to die. It can cruise at 85 but its not happy

The great thing is driving 2 weeks on a tank of gas and its got a lot of room for a small car

RE the batteries I hear that Toyota recycles them so theres no disposal damage

I think the X would be better for the environment especially my diesel since I can run on biodiesel if I have to and I have a feeling the X will last a lot longer than the P

The interior on the X is nicer than the P also

The P is a nice little car for chicks and old ladies

Old 01-22-2010, 12:52 PM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 89CrewCab
Actually, I heard or read somewhere where Ford SDs or Excursions actually are MORE environmentally friendly than the Prius, when counting the ENTIRE life of the vehicle --> manufacturing to disposal. Sure they save gas, but what the impact of manufacturing and disposing of all of those batterys will have on the environment?
it's been proven

Old 01-22-2010, 01:57 PM
blowhole
Senior User
I think the overall driving factor for me is the scope of capabilities I get with the Ex, as compared to anything else factory.

What CAN'T I do with my diesel Excursion? Nothing much - although it doesn't swim in deep water very well!!

I can drive it to the grocery store, I can drive it across the country, I can drive it up and down mountains, I can drive it through mud sloshed puddles on a country road, I can pull a house down the road, I can haul nearly anything a normal person would haul, I stretch my 6'2" frame completely while driving, I can nearly sit up in the engine bay when working under the Ex, I can collide with most any other vehicle on the road and feel good about walking away, I can feel confident that I will outlast most road cars 2-3 times over with my engine setup, etc., etc., etc.

Point being: there is hardly a road or trail I wouldn't feel comfortable driving my Ex down, or up. And I can do it while my 4 kids are comfortable in two-toned leather seats watching a movie with full control of their own climate - and the dog at their feet!!

I have never been one to sacrifice personal choice and family safety for ideas of planetary health that may or may not be true.

Old 01-22-2010, 03:40 PM
desertt5
Senior User
Or you could get a diesel VW and get even better mileage.

Quick Reply: Who hates a Prius?