Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who hates a Prius?

Old 01-24-2010, 10:04 PM
dzldenny
Senior User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ever hear a clicking sound coming from a wheel while you're driving? Could be a nail, screw, bolt, maybe a rock or even a Prius stuck in the lugs of one of yer tires.

Old 01-24-2010, 10:09 PM
dzldenny
Senior User

Prius be gone please! That is the perfect car to call attention to yourself if you're a self centered weiner! Seems like most of them (not all ) give that scoff look and carry the attitude that they are superior. A family down the road has one and they are the "We will save the world while you kill it" type. I saw on one of those night time news shows that said the factory that builds the batteries for the elec hybrids is in the top three in the world for polution. Political BS again? What happens when they crash and all those batteries get crushed?

Run Bio and we make less polution too.

It'll all come down to natural selection. If they crash, they die... If we crash we will repair our trucks.

Old 01-24-2010, 10:45 PM
scottman70
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by dzldenny
Prius be gone please! That is the perfect car to call attention to yourself if you're a self centered weiner! Seems like most of them (not all ) give that scoff look and carry the attitude that they are superior. A family down the road has one and they are the "We will save the world while you kill it" type. I saw on one of those night time news shows that said the factory that builds the batteries for the elec hybrids is in the top three in the world for polution. Political BS again? What happens when they crash and all those batteries get crushed?

Run Bio and we make less polution too.

It'll all come down to natural selection. If they crash, they die... If we crash we will repair our trucks.

Would someone like to do a purchase cost/cost recovery comparison buying a 16K Honda Civic vs. buying a 30K Prius. A Prius is a foolish financial choice that's for sure! The time it will take to recover that extra $14K would take years! Just a dumb move! Who cares if your Prius gets 45mpgs if you paid an extra $14K for it!

Old 01-24-2010, 11:02 PM
Monsta
Sit. Stay.

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Smugmobiles...

In principle, I like the Prius. It makes sense for an urban commuter. The latest generation looks a lot better than previous version. However, it doesn't seem to pan out in real life. Expensive and worse for the environment cradle to grave.

The ability to use it to run appliances when the power goes out is pretty neat...but that's it.

As far as the demographic who owns them...they all seem like smug ******. But I've smug ****** driving all sorts of things.

Old 01-25-2010, 02:19 AM
aklim
Lead Driver

Received 241 Likes on 186 Posts
Originally Posted by dzldenny
A family down the road has one and they are the "We will save the world while you kill it" type.
To those I say "Thanx. Have a few more people pick up the tab so I and screw off".

Old 01-25-2010, 07:42 AM
HUBBSTER
Senior User
Most P owners drive slow on purpose. Sometimes for fun when I see a bunch of P's I take my P and I slalom through them at 75 or so.

They look at me funny when I'm doing 90 in my P on Alligator Alley

Old 01-25-2010, 07:52 AM
GregN
Senior User
My girlfriend got rear ended by a Prius driver that was watching the fuel mileage computer thing instead of the road.

I forgot where I heard/read it, but the carbon footprint of just manufacturing the Prius is so large that it takes 100,000 miles before the Prius "saves" enough of the environment to be equal to the manufacturing of a normal vehicle. If the efficiency of a car is that important, why do they still make Automatic transmissions? You can take a 2001 VW Jetta 1.9L TDI with a manual and get 50+ MPG an automatic will get around 45 MPG.

Old 01-25-2010, 10:32 AM
aklim
Lead Driver

Originally Posted by HUBBSTER
Most P owners drive slow on purpose. Sometimes for fun when I see a bunch of P's I take my P and I slalom through them at 75 or so.

They look at me funny when I'm doing 90 in my P on Alligator Alley
I got the 140 Aggressive tune just for that reason.

Old 01-25-2010, 10:36 AM
aklim
Lead Driver

Originally Posted by GregN
My girlfriend got rear ended by a Prius driver that was watching the fuel mileage computer thing instead of the road.

why do they still make Automatic transmissions?
So what? You got a scratch on the bumper and he got to stimulate the economy via the body shop?

Don't ask why. Just be thankful. Several times I have had a driver almost roll back into me because he didn't know how to work a clutch on a hill. WTF!!! Learn to drive it or get an automatic.

Old 01-25-2010, 11:06 AM
Immortal_Ben
Fleet Mechanic
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
I believe that my signature says it all when it comes to the Prius.

Personally, I enjoy driving my Ex in the carpool lane, with all the windows down. That way everyone can see a single occupant, 8 passanger, biggest-SUV-ever-made vehicle rolling along.

I do my part to help offset the Prius crowd.

Old 01-25-2010, 11:58 AM
GregN
Senior User
Originally Posted by aklim
So what? You got a scratch on the bumper and he got to stimulate the economy via the body shop?

Don't ask why. Just be thankful. Several times I have had a driver almost roll back into me because he didn't know how to work a clutch on a hill. WTF!!! Learn to drive it or get an automatic.
It actually did about $1,500 in damage on an '06 Malibu and now the rear bumper cover doesn't match because it is a Charcoal Grey Metallic (It has a different tint), and her insurance went up because she had a claim. (MN is a no-fault insurance state).

Old 01-25-2010, 12:06 PM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by scottman70
Would someone like to do a purchase cost/cost recovery comparison buying a 16K Honda Civic vs. buying a 30K Prius. A Prius is a foolish financial choice that's for sure! The time it will take to recover that extra $14K would take years! Just a dumb move! Who cares if your Prius gets 45mpgs if you paid an extra $14K for it!
Thats the way I look at it. My neighbor has a Prius she commutes to work in. Around 80% of her miles are highway miles which are not what the Prius was designed for to get optimum mileage. Better off buying a regular small car for almost half the cost. The new Prius is well over $30k and has over a dozen computers on it.

Old 01-25-2010, 12:22 PM
GregN
Senior User
The Prius is right up there with the Subaru Wagon with roof rack in my book.

How many people have been killed/electrocuted by these vehicles while trying to service them. My buddy is the shop manager of a local repair shop and they won't even work on them. There is apparently a very extensive safety check/proceedure that must be completed before working on the vehicle to avoid such issues.

Old 01-25-2010, 02:49 PM
camperboy
Junior User
Ah, the Prius. Lots of them here in northern NJ. Save the world, great. They can't seem to maintain speed on the interstate while going up hill. Get the h--- out of the way if you can't go. You won't find my family in one. The wife's explorer feels small and vulnerable to me after getting out of my f350 CC LB.

I don't get mad at them. I just pass them and make a cloud of carbon for them to ingest. Can their Prius safely haul 18k down the road all day every day, reliably and get 17-18 mpg empty? I think not.

Won't even get into the debate about the total environmental costs associated with each vehicle.

That said, if my 85 Corolla got 40mpg, why do the new ones get less?

Old 01-25-2010, 04:05 PM
aklim
Lead Driver

Originally Posted by dkf
Better off buying a regular small car for almost half the cost. The new Prius is well over $30k

and has over a dozen computers on it.
Well, the "I'm Green" label does not come for free so what do you expect?

So? Why should we be afraid of a few computers on it unless they keep breaking down every now and then? On my 99 E300 Turbodiesel, I have yet to have a computer malfunction and I have 270K on the clock. I have had rust, glow plugs seizing, other sensors dying of old age but none of my cars have computer issues every few miles.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Who hates a Prius?