2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator

Need Feedback On Tires...

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 11:20 PM
jbhford
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need Feedback On Tires...

Am close to needing a new set for our '07 Expy, which has the 20" wheels. So far, we have been very pleased with the Scorpion STRs and will probably put them back on unless some of you have seen the ride improve with THIS vehicle when you switched to another brand.

Not trying to be a smarta$$, but please limit feedback to stock '07 Expies and up. The 26" Nittos or BFGs on your Super Duty may be great for you, but I doubt my wife will go for those!!! I'm really looking for comparisons between Expy/Pirelli vs. Expy/Brand "x". What did brand "x" do for your ride...softer, firmer, louder, quieter, etc. The TireRack reviews are helpful, but would really appreciate first hand experiences from other Ford drivers.

Old 10-24-2009, 12:12 PM
bassguitarman
New User
I have had a 98, 02, 06 and now an 09 expedition eb 4X4. Every one of the vehicles worked best with Michelin LTX tires. Best ride, good in the muddy roads where I go, best longevity. Obviously, since I stay with stock wheels, the 09 is my first experience with the 20" STRs. So far, the ride is fine, the mud performance is not quite as good as the LTX, but at just 26,000 miles the tires don't look like they will make it to 30K. I like the looks of the scorpion ATR, but they are an unknown. The stock goodyears on my earlier trucks were total cr*p, one set had to be rotated at 1500 miles to make them drivable, then replaced. I will probably go back to my favorite michelins, but the cost is crazy. I'm open to suggestions too.

Old 10-24-2009, 05:22 PM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
best tires on the Market are the Michelin LTX M&S (if you can find them). hands down. you get what you pay for. and it is some serious $$$. I put almost 40,000 on a pair and they were awesome. I would gladly run them again if the $$$ was right. Just kind of hard for me to spend that kind of $$$ when I can get something almost as good for significantly cheaper

This is my 2nd Ford with this suspension (06 F-150, 08 Expy). I hate those STR Pirelli's. Pretty much from Day 1 the tires have annoyed me. They wiggle, are loud and have horrible traction characteristics. At highway speeds (60 mph) my Expedition seems to have a mind of it's own. It has to be the tires. My Expy only has 4,500 miles. If I weren't such a cheapo, I would already change those POS tires out.

It's kind of funny, but the Scorpion ATR is a great tire...somehting happened in the mix between a ATR and STR and their slight changes

Back in February I bought a set of Goodyear Silent Armor for the old SUV. I love those tires. Look great, excellent traction, quiet...a great all around tire and very competetively priced. They are my what I will be buying when i've finally had enough of those darn STR's.

I really recommend the Goodyear tires. Had them on all of my prior Fords until these latest 2. And so far, my BFG's and the Scorpions have convinced me to stick with the Goodyears when replacements are due.

Old 10-24-2009, 07:27 PM
ReadOrDie_WoW
Senior User
I'd would have to argue that tylus, the best all around tire I've found on the market is Daytons Timberline A/T The reason for this is that the tread is very very agressive for a street tire, it has massive gaps between the treads for getting rid of water and so on, on top of that its cheaper then any other tire I've found. $235 is the highest I've paid for a 17" 265' which is about $50 bucks or so less then other brands. The compound of the tire is soft enough to grip on rocks, agressive enough to work in mud, and hard enough so that is doesn't wear out quickly on asphault. I still have a set of 15" 235s which have seen 3 different trucks! But sadly this tire has been discontinued, but no worries, you can still get it in a commercial truck tire (which only means that you will have to special order the tire which is what I had to do not some 3 months ago) The tires I bought were the 17' 265"s for my dodge for #$235 a piece, its a 10 ply, E range tire, and as far as I know the cheapest on the market as well as the best quality too. However do not get the Dayton Timberline A/T II its junk, compound is too soft, tread is to narrow, is a cheap crappy tire (which is prolly making Dayton alot more money then the regular A/T) If your local tire shop says they can't get it they are lying, Timberline offers this tire to any store that sells Dayton tires because its a commercial tire (I called them once because of this, turns out the guy trying to sell me tires was just trying to get rid of some BFG A/Ts) One thing I can suggest when looking for this tire is reminding your local shop that its a commercial truck tire, this seems to work everytime (since they have to search in a different area on their damn computers) I've seen these get up to 100K in miles, and thats no joke, remember the set I said I had on 3 different trucks? they have well over 60K and still look good enough for another 30k! They also make the same tire in an commercial H/T while (lol) looks alot more like other companies' A/T, I've bought this tire for roughly $40 less then the A/T

Old 11-02-2009, 09:22 AM
buzzard
Logistics Pro
I just put Bridgestone Revo 2's on a couple weeks ago. They are much firmer than the Scorpions and are quite a bit noisier too.

Old 11-02-2009, 06:29 PM
n2umr
Senior User
I've found for the price that you can't beat Cooper Discoverer ATR's. They are quiet, have good off road traction and good dry traction and I think my expy handles much better with these than the stock continentals.

Mark

Old 11-03-2009, 08:17 AM
gristanv
Freshman User
Firestone Destination AT

I am very, very happy with Destination AT for my 2007 EB 4W Ex.
I could not stand Conty. After 25000 Miles I made it.
Check this to make sure:Consumer Survey Results By Category

Old 11-03-2009, 10:23 AM
ReadOrDie_WoW
Senior User
forgot to mention that the price I listed above included mount and balanced and out the door, also, I work in an industry where I may drive 40 miles a day to work and then use my truck all day at work, and when I'm at work I see some of the most roughest terrain imaginable, since I've started using the timberline, I've gotten stuck about three times in about five years. There isn't really I tire I haven't tried and couldn't be happier with my dayton's.

Old 11-03-2009, 10:37 AM
bassguitarman
New User
Thanks for the survey, gristanv - the results are pretty much what I would have expected.

Old 11-03-2009, 05:29 PM
Fearsam
Freshman User
The Pirelli's are very nice tires, and I liked them better than my Toyo A/T's. They are great fair weather tires.

However, I needed a tire that would get my family home no matter what the conditions. I went with the Toyo M/T's.

1: Great looks. Your wife's expedition will look like its going to eat the other SUV next to it. You won't need any lifts, spacers, or leveling kits.

2: Your family is going to get home, no matter what the weather is like outside. To me thats comforting and added security. Plus, thick rubber, less likelihood your wife will be stranded with a flat tire.

Go for the 33x12.50R20LT, Toyo Tires® Open Country M/T's

But that's just my opinion. In the end, it all comes down to being happy with your purchase.

Best Regards,

- Robert

Old 11-05-2009, 06:29 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts
I just mounted a set of Yokohama Geolander H/T-S on mine. I love them. I wasn't willing to shell out $995.00 for the Michelans plus alignment, road hazard, etc.

Tim

Old 11-05-2009, 06:43 PM
Beechkid
Received 210 Likes on 160 Posts
While I agree that Michelin are one of the best in terms of ride, wear & handling, they are pricey. Yokohama has a variety of tires for SUV's (including AVID series) , they are excellent tires for a fraction of the price of Mich. Check out Tire rack for comments and I think you'll be surprised.

Old 11-06-2009, 07:51 PM
benshere
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What Tylus said about the STR's caused me to take notice--. I have the 18" wheels with the STR's on my 07 EB EL. At 21K there is some wear, but no air showing yet, so I cant really contribute to the wear issue. I can relate to the driveability issue at road speed though. My Expy does the same thing, it has to be "steered" all the time because it seems to wander, even on good pavement w/o a groove. I had attributed this to the alignment because I know that most alignment shops can only stay within certain parameters, even if the tech knows what the problem is, but cannot (libility issue) deviate from the specs. Appears the tires are a big contributor, even with a street tread design.

I will be looking for something else when the time comes. Michelins may be the answer, but some others sound good also,

Old 11-07-2009, 12:00 AM
IQ9
Senior User
I will be putting on a set of Nitto NT420S's factory 20inch size on sat. I'll would like to know if anyone is interested in me reporting back on the tire. I don't want to chime in if no one cares about Nittos.

Old 11-07-2009, 05:37 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts
Originally Posted by IQ9
I will be putting on a set of Nitto NT420S's factory 20inch size on sat. I'll would like to know if anyone is interested in me reporting back on the tire. I don't want to chime in if no one cares about Nittos.
IMHO, all opinions and facts are welcome. This isn't a members only club where if you don't own an '07 or newer, you can't come in. While I do appreciate the poiint that the OP was trying to make, it still doesn't make sense to me that input non '07 and non 20" tires tires doesn't matter.

The suspension systems from '06 - '07 are only slightly different. The '07 that I rented for a long 2500 mile trip felt no different that my '04.

Tim

Quick Reply: Need Feedback On Tires...