Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Time for Transmission Flush

Old 01-21-2010, 11:14 AM
BeBo03
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Time for Transmission Flush

I know this subject has been covered on how to flush the transmission but I do not see what type of tranny fluid to use other than Mobil 1 SYN. What about Pennzoil, Valvoline, or Castrol mercon v? I have to change fluids in both the X and 250 so 40 qrts. should cover it right.

2003 F250 4X4 7.3
2004 "X" 4X2 V10

Thanks in advance!

Old 01-21-2010, 12:00 PM
onelionhunter
Laughing Gas

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Flush

I used a dino ATF in mine, I plan to flush it every 20k wit all teh towing I do anyhow. here is a link to the procedure I used.

Changing ATF Fluid in a E4OD and 4R100 transmission .: Articles

Old 01-21-2010, 04:17 PM
DieselCamper01
Fleet Owner
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I have used the same method that Tom posted and it is super easy. I chose to use the Mobil 1 Synthetic but nothing wrong with using Mercon V rated. 40 quarts will cover you nicely. It will take about 18-19 quarts per vehicle. Nice to have some extra on hand anyway.

On a side note. Your power steering takes the tranny fluid also so you can change that out at the same time. That takes 2-3 quarts per vehicle. I don't have the procedure handy right at the moment but also super easy and you can use the same tubing that you use for the transmission.

Edit: Here you go

http://www.superdutypsd.com/power_steering_flush.php

Old 01-21-2010, 04:30 PM
BeBo03
Freshman User
Ford ATF - Mercon V

Thanks for the information guys. I called a local Ford dealer and the filter is $35 and 1 gallon Ford Mercon V ATF is $19. Total cost around $135 for each DIY.

Thanks!

Old 01-21-2010, 05:46 PM
Franko72
Molon Labe
I recently changed mine after I was told NOT too by three people....
1 Ford dealer powerstroke mech (and friend), 1 neighbor who builds race cars, and 1 co worker who has 240k on his trans with original fluid...ALL three of them told me I would be looking for a new trans in a few months after the fluid change....and guess what. It took two months and my trans is toasted...

I'm not trying to start a debate, because I personally believe in changing the trans fluid...but now I get teased about it daily from two of them.

I believe 230k miles of heavy towing, my new tuner, plus a heavy right foot have more to do with the demise than the fluid change....but since I did mine I have been asking around for the opinions of others, and I get more people saying "dont do it" than "yes change it"

Im not rying to highjack the thread or be the sour apple...Just curious what others have heard.

Old 01-21-2010, 05:53 PM
maevans
Posting Guru

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DieselCamper01
I have used the same method that Tom posted and it is super easy. I chose to use the Mobil 1 Synthetic but nothing wrong with using Mercon V rated. 40 quarts will cover you nicely. It will take about 18-19 quarts per vehicle. Nice to have some extra on hand anyway.

On a side note. Your power steering takes the tranny fluid also so you can change that out at the same time. That takes 2-3 quarts per vehicle. I don't have the procedure handy right at the moment but also super easy and you can use the same tubing that you use for the transmission.

Edit: Here you go

Power Steering Fluid Flushing Procedure For F250 Super Duty Truck
Nice job helping the OP. reps sent.

Old 01-21-2010, 09:05 PM
Izzy351
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Franko72
I recently changed mine after I was told NOT too by three people....
1 Ford dealer powerstroke mech (and friend), 1 neighbor who builds race cars, and 1 co worker who has 240k on his trans with original fluid...ALL three of them told me I would be looking for a new trans in a few months after the fluid change....and guess what. It took two months and my trans is toasted...

I'm not trying to start a debate, because I personally believe in changing the trans fluid...but now I get teased about it daily from two of them.

I believe 230k miles of heavy towing, my new tuner, plus a heavy right foot have more to do with the demise than the fluid change....but since I did mine I have been asking around for the opinions of others, and I get more people saying "dont do it" than "yes change it"

Im not rying to highjack the thread or be the sour apple...Just curious what others have heard.
All of that on a stock trans?? You got lucky!! It was likely going to die anyway. That guy has 240k on ORIGINAL TRANS FLUID??? His is going to die soon too. Then you can make fun of him.

Old 01-21-2010, 09:12 PM
onelionhunter
Laughing Gas

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Old wives tales

I honestly think that the old change the fluid and kill tranny is a wives tale. Reason being, 95% of the time people do it because te have a tranny issue already, TOOOOOO LATE. While my truck had 115k on the odo when I got it, that flush was high priority for me, because I had NO ISSUES, but I do tow alot. 12k later, I am still towing, and no issues.

Almost everyone changes the engine oil religeously, not so on an amost as expensive tranny, go figure...........

Old 01-21-2010, 10:42 PM
BeBo03
Freshman User
240K Miles

If you had 240k on the ticker, heavy towing, heavy right foot...be thankful you got 240k before she blew. I'm sure glad those guys you talked to do not work as fry captains at the local resturant. Everything needs fresh oil know and then.

Old 01-22-2010, 04:44 AM
Franko72
Molon Labe
Originally Posted by BeBo03
I'm sure glad those guys you talked to do not work as fry captains at the local resturant. Everything needs fresh oil know and then.
The way it was explained to me was, when the clutches break down the material goes into the fluid, and when its changed you loose the "grit"...and thats when the clutches start slipping????
Doesn't the trans filter remove the grit anyhow???

I say change it!!!

Old 01-22-2010, 07:02 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,571 Likes on 1,049 Posts
Originally Posted by onelionhunter
I honestly think that the old change the fluid and kill tranny is a wives tale. Reason being, 95% of the time people do it because te have a tranny issue already, TOOOOOO LATE.
EXACTLY RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-25-2010, 08:41 PM
BeBo03
Freshman User
Completed the "Mark" 4R100 Flush

Well this weekend I finally got a chance to complete some much needed work on my one of my Ford’s. I did the transmission flush and basic oil change. Thanks to Mark for an excellent write up and saving me about $160. I believe the dealership wants something like $300 to flush the 4R100. I got a new filter, 20 quarts from Ford, 3/8 clear tubing, and brake cleaner for $142. Other than the concrete stains and my kids thinking I was bleeding to death it was a walk in the park. Plus I got the satisfaction knowing it was done correct. The only thing I did experience is when I was changing gears fluid shoot out of the disconnect rear line opening. Before I began the flush I did drive around to get the fluid hot.
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>
Thanks Mark and FTE!

Old 07-04-2010, 06:26 PM
fordbychoice
New User
I had the same problem with fluid shooting out of the housing where the line was disconnect. Anyone see a problem with temporarily installing a plug?<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>

Old 07-04-2010, 08:24 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,571 Likes on 1,049 Posts
Yes, I see a problem.

When fluid is coming out of the transmission side of that fitting you have a problem that needs to be fixed. Usually the problem is a damaged line to or from the coolers, or a plugged cooler. It is also possible that the bypass valve has stuck open.

Old 07-04-2010, 09:16 PM
fordbychoice
New User
The fluid didn’t shoot out until I started shifting through the gears. Fluid also pumped through the clear line that I installed. I don’t think I have a blockage in any of the lines, but I’m not familiar with the bypass valve. Could it be that I had too much fluid in the pan?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Time for Transmission Flush