Starter is freewheeling... - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums



1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks

Starter is freewheeling...

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 01-20-2010, 01:14 PM
tbenks's Avatar
tbenks tbenks is offline
Elder User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: ct
Posts: 542
tbenks is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thumbs down Starter is freewheeling...

i notice it happens more often lately, like once in every 5 key turns, just get that grinding spinning noise when the starter doesn't engage, just a couple questions, is it urgent to get it replaced, or is this just normal wear? and anyone have any advice on replacing a starter? as always thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-20-2010, 01:42 PM
88n94 88n94 is online now
Posting Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 1,676
88n94 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
It's your starter drive going bad. You can replace just the drive, which I would do if the starter otherwise works okay. Yes, I would fix it ASAP, as it could damage the teeth on your flywheel or flexplate. Then you would have a big job removing the transmission etc. to replace the flywheel or flexplate,
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-20-2010, 01:44 PM
lew52's Avatar
lew52 lew52 is offline
Postmaster
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 4,558
lew52 has a very good reputation on FTE.lew52 has a very good reputation on FTE.lew52 has a very good reputation on FTE.lew52 has a very good reputation on FTE.
It sounds like the starter drive , i would fix it as soon as possable, before it hurts the flywheel or flex plate , that could be the problem to....Lew
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-20-2010, 01:45 PM
White 97 xlt's Avatar
White 97 xlt White 97 xlt is online now
Postmaster
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Cleveland, TN
Posts: 4,401
White 97 xlt has a superb reputationWhite 97 xlt has a superb reputationWhite 97 xlt has a superb reputationWhite 97 xlt has a superb reputationWhite 97 xlt has a superb reputationWhite 97 xlt has a superb reputationWhite 97 xlt has a superb reputationWhite 97 xlt has a superb reputationWhite 97 xlt has a superb reputationWhite 97 xlt has a superb reputationWhite 97 xlt has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by 88n94 View Post
It's your starter drive going bad. You can replace just the drive, which I would do if the starter otherwise works okay. Yes, I would fix it ASAP, as it could damage the teeth on your flywheel or flexplate. Then you would have a big job removing the transmission etc. to replace the flywheel or flexplate,
X 2 Yes a small job could/will become a big one if not addressed soon.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-20-2010, 01:47 PM
lew52's Avatar
lew52 lew52 is offline
Postmaster
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 4,558
lew52 has a very good reputation on FTE.lew52 has a very good reputation on FTE.lew52 has a very good reputation on FTE.lew52 has a very good reputation on FTE.
I was late , but we have the same idea ...
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-20-2010, 04:31 PM
tbenks's Avatar
tbenks tbenks is offline
Elder User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: ct
Posts: 542
tbenks is starting off with a positive reputation.
oh man didnt know it was that bad, where can i get just a new drive? i would like to do that cant imagine it being to difficult.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-20-2010, 04:44 PM
lew52's Avatar
lew52 lew52 is offline
Postmaster
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 4,558
lew52 has a very good reputation on FTE.lew52 has a very good reputation on FTE.lew52 has a very good reputation on FTE.lew52 has a very good reputation on FTE.
Check at a good parts store , i have got them there before but its been awhile ...Lew
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-20-2010, 04:52 PM
tbenks's Avatar
tbenks tbenks is offline
Elder User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: ct
Posts: 542
tbenks is starting off with a positive reputation.
so if i go to like autozone i should just ask them for a 'drive' for my starter? maybe someone can better help me understand this, what exactly is the 'drive' is it just a gear, part of the motor, ect? and im assuming i will have to remove the starter and take it apart, correct?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-20-2010, 05:00 PM
lew52's Avatar
lew52 lew52 is offline
Postmaster
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 4,558
lew52 has a very good reputation on FTE.lew52 has a very good reputation on FTE.lew52 has a very good reputation on FTE.lew52 has a very good reputation on FTE.
Yeah like i said its been awhile , like 74 , we use to change just the drive , bendix drive is what we called it back then , now i think you just replace the starter , check & see what they say , im curious if they still sell them ....Lew
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-20-2010, 05:13 PM
88n94 88n94 is online now
Posting Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 1,676
88n94 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbenks View Post
so if i go to like autozone i should just ask them for a 'drive' for my starter? maybe someone can better help me understand this, what exactly is the 'drive' is it just a gear, part of the motor, ect? and im assuming i will have to remove the starter and take it apart, correct?
Yes just ask for a starter drive, some people call it a bendix. The drive goes on the back end of the starter, yes it contains the gear that engages with the flywheel. Yes you have to remove the starter from the truck.

When you disassemble the starter, don't pull the armature(the middle part of the guts) back from the housing. I can't emphasize that enough. It may be nearly impossible to get it back into the brushes in the front of the starter. Just remove the 2 long bolts from the front of the starter, and carefully pull the back housing off the starter without pulling the armature back.

I guess we didn't determine what year your truck is. The advice above would be for '91 and older trucks, with just one large battery cable and no smaller wires going down to the starter. The '92 and newer starters are probably quite a bit different. I haven't worked on one of those.

Edited to say disregard the last paragraph, I see you have an '87 F-250.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-20-2010, 05:19 PM
tbenks's Avatar
tbenks tbenks is offline
Elder User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: ct
Posts: 542
tbenks is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 88n94 View Post
Yes just ask for a starter drive, some people call it a bendix. The drive goes on the back end of the starter, yes it contains the gear that engages with the flywheel. Yes you have to remove the starter from the truck.

When you disassemble the starter, don't pull the armature(the middle part of the guts) back from the housing. I can't emphasize that enough. It may be nearly impossible to get it back into the brushes in the front of the starter. Just remove the 2 long bolts from the front of the starter, and carefully pull the back housing off the starter without pulling the armature back.

I guess we didn't determine what year your truck is. The advice above would be for '91 and older trucks, with just one large battery cable and no smaller wires going down to the starter. The '92 and newer starters are probably quite a bit different. I haven't worked on one of those.
if you look in my sig i have a 1987 f250 diesel, it is a 24 volt starter, so i imagine it must be quite bigger?
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-20-2010, 05:28 PM
88n94 88n94 is online now
Posting Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 1,676
88n94 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lew52 View Post
Yeah like i said its been awhile , like 74 , we use to change just the drive , bendix drive is what we called it back then , now i think you just replace the starter , check & see what they say , im curious if they still sell them ....Lew
Some places still sell them, atleast they did a short time ago. Ford garage no longer sells them for anything, that's what the partsman told me anyway. "Standard" and "Wilson" were two brands still available, there are probably others.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-20-2010, 05:39 PM
88n94 88n94 is online now
Posting Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 1,676
88n94 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbenks View Post
if you look in my sig i have a 1987 f250 diesel, it is a 24 volt starter, so i imagine it must be quite bigger?
I didn't notice it was a diesel. You would have to check the availability of the drive(etc) on that. Sorry I didn't notice.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-20-2010, 05:44 PM
tbenks's Avatar
tbenks tbenks is offline
Elder User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: ct
Posts: 542
tbenks is starting off with a positive reputation.
ok, i think i'm going to try the junkyard and look for an old one, a re manufactured starter costs 300 bucks from lmc, ouch
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-20-2010, 08:11 PM
F150xlt F150xlt is offline
Posting Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 1,346
F150xlt has a very good reputation on FTE.F150xlt has a very good reputation on FTE.F150xlt has a very good reputation on FTE.
A new starter drive goes for around $70.00 at rockauto.com

New/Rebuilt complete starters on E-bay sell for around $100.00
Need to verify if there is a core charge.

The batteries are hooked up in parallel so the starter is 12 volts
and not 24 volts.

Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Single click on starter Scott Rabb 1978 - 1996 Big Bronco 3 01-15-2016 11:24 AM
which starter to get? BossFan 1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks 2 05-05-2014 03:06 PM
Help, 360 starter installation problems AZRRC 1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks 3 01-21-2014 01:11 PM
Starter slowing down? fridgeddiesel 1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel 34 04-07-2011 07:12 AM
Any Advice on a Starter? ol'yeller Modular V10 (6.8l) 6 06-03-2008 11:50 PM


Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums >

Tags
1987, 87, bad, bendix, drive, f150, f250, fix, ford, freewheeling, location, noise, replace, sounds, starter

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:34 AM.


This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. FordŽ is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company.