1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

chip install questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 06:31 PM
427 fordman
Hotshot
Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts
chip install questions

I know this has been covered some before but I can't find exactly what I am looking for. I have never installed a chip and was wondering where it goes for sure. I am putting it in tomorrow so I thought I'd check in with you guys. Is it right beside the e brake? How do I get at it to install it? Any other tips, tricks, or advice would be great. Thanks

Old 01-19-2010, 06:50 PM
arkredneck
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
it's right beside the e brake gotta take off a plastic panel to get to the pcm you gotta be really sure to clean all the crap off the circuit board i used a scotch brite pad i thought it was clean enough at first but wasn't it's kinda hard to get to i think i pulled my ebrake off

Old 01-19-2010, 10:11 PM
quesey
Laughing Gas
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
just did mine and what i did was took some of the screws that hold the innerfender (plastic) out and took the 10 mm bolt holding in the plug on the computer.pulled it out and then the 2 10 mm nuts and holder for computer.slides out most of the way but not all the way so i took a pry bar and popped plastic down to clear to slide it all the way out.then 6 screws and the top and bottom of the computer come apart alows a lot better cleaning of were it plugs in to.all in all took about 20 mins going slow as not to screw anything up
good luck

Old 01-19-2010, 10:13 PM
quesey
Laughing Gas
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
after i typed all that i seen this in another post.but i did'nt use a broom lol.AND UNHOOK BATTERIES or i did .
http://www.dp-tuner.com/wordpress/wp...tion-94-97.pdf

Old 01-20-2010, 06:27 AM
Talyn
Hotshot
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
It's best to take the PCM out to clean it
make sure battery disconected.

The above way is correct for removing. It sucks, but its possible.

Once you get the PCM out. take it inside if its cold, where your fingers can work easily to take off the laquor on the contacts.

if there is a film on there, some laquor thinner and a qtip will help remove it.

Try and stay in a non static enviornment too btw, if you are worried about it.
Turn the shower on hot for a few minutes till its warm in there, and sit on the terlit and do it, the high humidty room will have less static.

like i was saying, sometimes you have to scrape the contacts to get them clean, be gentle, you dont want to damage the pins, they are gold. (as in non replaceable)
Well, they are replaceable, but you dont wanna drop the 300 dollars to replate them.

Anyways.
Once they are clean, you can use the scotch brite pad in the kit they shoulda sent you to clean them again. Then reinstall the computer.
You can pull the Parking brake down for the install, its just 3 1/2 or 9/16's nuts and it folds down to give you more room.
Install the chip, it just plugs right in, then run your cable and install everything so the cable isn't pinched anywhere.

Old 01-20-2010, 07:11 AM
427 fordman
Hotshot
Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts
Thanks guys. It's snowing and freezing rain here today so it's going in this morning. Again, thanks