1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Electric Wiper options for F1's

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 10:19 AM
Old F1
Cargo Master

Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts
I think the original question was about an intermittent / delay control which is done by the switch. I have previously use a New Port wiper motor which was fine but if the linkage is not 100 percent then wiper operation is less then perfect. Just food for thought, and I know that this replacement unit is expensive, but all the parts are new, and from a lack of future aggravate and ease of installation perspective, this what I have decided to use (not installed yet).

48-52 Sac wiper motor # 2.jpg

Attached Images  
Old 02-10-2010, 10:43 AM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Let me just back up what Old F1 is saying.

Of all the systems that were really kind of a pain to install, the electric wipers were "it."

In the past two weeks with all the rain we have had in SoCal, I have had ample opportunity to test my wipers. The Newport Engineering System has worked flawlessly, but I have had to get back up under the dash now 3 times to take care of problems that were inherent with the old arms and pivots. And, as much as I hate to admit it, the way I originally had it wired. It's very frustrating to be driving down the road and one of the wipers stops working or it flops onto the cowl and sits there because the **** is worn.

First, with the Newport system, the delay feature is a function of the switch. Also, this unit likes amps and it needs a healthy ground. Be certain to use at least 14 gauge wire from your power source to the delay switch. Further, the switch and unit are co-grounded through the brace that attaches to the back of the motor housing and bottom of the dash. I highly recommend you install a redundant ground wire from that bracket mounting bolt to a separate spot on the dash via a 14 gauge wire that you know is absolutely good.

If you are not buying new pivot arms, then rebuild the ones you have. The repair ***** have a set screw to hold them in place after you grind off the peened end of the shaft holding the stock ones on.

For the folks who are replacing the 6 volt electric wiper motor, the pivot arm ***** are held on by a shafted nut. The nut shaft will not fit through the reapir ***** sold. You have to drill out the holds to 5/16 inch and fit the shafted nut into the ****, mark the spot for the set screw, remove the nut and drill a 3/32 inch hole for the set screw to drive through the shafted nut and contact the shaft of the pivot. It's easier then it sounds. But I highly recommend that unless your pivots are like new, you rebuild them. You will anyway, it's just a matter of now or later - in the rain.

Be very careful when installing the new style wiper arms. There is a tiny clip that pops under the edge of the pivot ****. That clip isn't help on by anything and if it falls out, you have to buy a new arm. If you have to take the arm off for any reason, you will have to lift the clip over the edge of the **** and when you lift th earm off, that clip will fall out - watch for it.

Lastly, one nice feature about the Newport Engineering delay switch is it has a "push to wash" feature if you have a windshield washer motor. For those of us who have the stock foot pumps, this feature normally isn't used. But I discovered that if you do push the **** to pump washer fluid, it also rotates the wiper blades 3 times then automatically parks and shuts off. This is a nice feature when you are on a wet road and get passed by a truck who spatters your windshield and you just need a wipe off and don't want to have to hold the know to turn it back off after the one or two wipes you need.

The following users liked this post: