Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > General Diesel Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

General Diesel Discussion SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-19-2010, 10:28 AM
Freshman User

fast_fred is starting off with a positive reputation.
Will not turn over?

I have a 2002 E550 with a 7.3L Powerstroke. I spent a few days cranking the truck over in the cold weather to finally get it to start; and I let it run for an hour before turning it off. I went out the next day to start it again and all it will do is give a clicking sound. The battery is fully charged and I do have the truck plugged in. Did I do something to cause this from the previous day of trying to continious starting it? My thought might be a bad starter selenoid? Any thoughts?

Thanks
Fred
Old 01-19-2010, 03:20 PM
Admin Emeritus

SteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputation
Have you made certain the battery cables are sound and their connections are clean?
Join our Chapter *HERE*
9/21/54 - 9/25/09
Old 01-19-2010, 07:49 PM
Super Moderator

powerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputation
+1 on what Steve said. My next guess would either be the solenoid or the starter itself.
2011 F-350 4x4 Lariat Ultimate, Oxford White / Pale Adobe 6.7L PSD 3.55 ELD / Gone but not forgotten.
Moderators, Guidelines, and How They are Enforced / FTE Forum Guidelines

RIP Steve (Bricks) Price........Godspeed my good friend. RIP Paul / Hdslider.....you are truly missed.
Old 01-19-2010, 08:19 PM
Freshman User

fast_fred is starting off with a positive reputation.
The battery cables are connected sound and the battery's are both charged. Is the solenoid located on the starter? How do I check to se if its good? Or do I just remove the starter and take it in to be tested?

Thanks for the help, keep it coming.

Fred
Old 04-07-2011, 05:39 PM
New User

brassford is starting off with a positive reputation.
I am having the same problem what did you find was the issue?
Old 04-07-2011, 05:44 PM
Senior User

fast_st is starting off with a positive reputation.
Didn't see a followup from the OP, with a diesel, get a battery tester, one of the $20 resistive ones works fine.

remove and clean every cable connection, batteries, grounds, starter. Charge each battery seperately and test each one.

If you have just a click, it could be the upper starter solenoid, look for voltage with a test light on the outbound side when the key is turned to start. If you have voltage, your next stop is the starter itself.
Old 04-07-2011, 11:29 PM
Postmaster

joshofalltrades has a good reputation on FTE.joshofalltrades has a good reputation on FTE.
"taking it in" to be tested shouldn't be necessary, but it sounds like fred is not familiar with bench-testing his own starter, so i'll briefly describe the process. with the starter out of the truck, support the starter in a vise (by its mounting flange only, don't crush it), then connect jumper cables or other heavy cables from a battery: ground of battery to body of starter (mounting flange), then momentarily connect the positive cable to the stud where the hot wire connects. the starter should roar to life. note: avoid arcing of the terminal by having a solid connection of the positive cable to the starter, then making the final connection at the battery. note2: if a vise is not available, most starters can be held down by a man, but expect it to try to jump out of your hands.

if the starter works for a bench test, but not in the truck, its probably not getting power. rarely have i seen a good starter getting good power just click and not crank the engine, and those were due to seized engines, which i don't expect is your case.
Old 04-08-2011, 05:19 AM
Posting Guru

mistakenID is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.mistakenID is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
The OP last replied to this thread over a year ago.
Dads 87 F-250
4x4-5sp 6.9 Turbo
73,000 original miles
Old 04-13-2011, 07:54 AM
Senior User

fast_st is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistakenID View Post
The OP last replied to this thread over a year ago.
Four years is plenty of time to fix your starter, someone get over there and kick his axle for not giving a good followup.
Old 04-13-2011, 07:54 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > General Diesel Discussion

Tags
06, 2000, 2005, 2008, 60, battery, change, crank, diesel, e150, excursion, f250, ford, locked, truck, turn, wont