Alaska Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:

Spark plug blow out

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 11:20 AM
747mech
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Spark plug blow out

Happened to me yesterday. #3 in my 5.4. Fournately I was quite close to home and was able to limp it into my garage. Threads in the block are completely ripped out. Does anyone know a good shop that has experience doing the heli-coil repair?

Tim

Old 01-19-2010, 02:04 AM
Skip1970
Hotshot
Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
wow! i hear this happens ever to often with the 5.4 and v10, i think you need to pull the head to do it right.

Old 01-19-2010, 10:59 AM
747mech
Mountain Pass
I have it in at S&P in ER. Spoke to them first and glad the owner Steve has experience with the problem. Has a kit instock for the fix. (go figure). Trouble is that the original design only has 3 threads in the block for the plug. Whimpy in my opinion. The fix is to bore out and thread the hole. Install a threaded insert with 8 threads to receive the plug. Much better than a heli-coil. I'm having them check torque on the other plugs too. Talking to the tow truck driver, he said he's seen the problem before and told me not to worry because there is a good fix. I said that's great but I have 7 other plugs. He replied that he'd never towed the same rig twice for this problem. Taking that as a good stat.

Eagle River Automotive said they had the same method and talent. The good news is its not a big deal to get fixed in South Central. Bad news: so far I estimate the cost at $350. Should be done today and I'll repoort final cost.

I've read on the forum that some believe you will have warning before this happens. Lately my rig has had poorer gas milelage and sounded slightly like a low oil knocking. In fact I just topped off the oil before this happend and still had the "knock". I assume this sound is the plug rattling after its spun loose a bit.

Old 01-19-2010, 08:25 PM
ziptieexpedition
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 747mech
I have it in at S&P in ER. Spoke to them first and glad the owner Steve has experience with the problem. Has a kit instock for the fix. (go figure). Trouble is that the original design only has 3 threads in the block for the plug. Whimpy in my opinion. The fix is to bore out and thread the hole. Install a threaded insert with 8 threads to receive the plug. Much better than a heli-coil. I'm having them check torque on the other plugs too. Talking to the tow truck driver, he said he's seen the problem before and told me not to worry because there is a good fix. I said that's great but I have 7 other plugs. He replied that he'd never towed the same rig twice for this problem. Taking that as a good stat.

Eagle River Automotive said they had the same method and talent. The good news is its not a big deal to get fixed in South Central. Bad news: so far I estimate the cost at $350. Should be done today and I'll repoort final cost.

I've read on the forum that some believe you will have warning before this happens. Lately my rig has had poorer gas milelage and sounded slightly like a low oil knocking. In fact I just topped off the oil before this happend and still had the "knock". I assume this sound is the plug rattling after its spun loose a bit.
For more spark plug infomation, check out www.blownoutsparkplug.com These guys have it together.

Old 01-20-2010, 09:38 AM
747mech
Mountain Pass
Ziptie,

Excellent link. Thanks. I like the emergency plug kit. Would be handy to have incase this happens again. Especially while I'm pulling my trailer.

Got my pickup back yesterday. Everything normal. Shop plus tow came to $300. I had bought the new plug and coil for $60 previously. Total $360.

The knock I was hearing before is gone. I'm convinced you can have warning before this happens. To early to determine if my MPG will be back to normal. Might just be winter driving effecting that.

Tim