2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator

How do I Identify Towing Package?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 01:34 PM
5.4 Shelby
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How do I Identify Towing Package?

Hi guys, new here.

I am about to buy my 3rd Ford SUV. It is a 2008 Expedition Limited, black, loaded. What a sweet ride. They have come a long way since my 98 EB Expedition. And I really loved that one.

Anyway, the dealer says it has the towing package. I do not see a separate tranny/oil cooler. I only see a 4 pin wiring connector near the hitch.

Is there a good way to definitely identify the presence of a towing package? Like should there be a sep radiator? A number on the door sticker?

I plan to tow my Mustang in an enclosed trailer on occasion and don't want to push the limits of the vehicle.

Would adding a tranny/oil cooler bring it up to the 9000lb limit?

Thanks in advance. Any help is appreciated.

Kevin.

Old 01-02-2010, 08:21 PM
chevy24d
Freshman User
In 2007 they all had towing packages but the "heavy duty towing package" had a larger radiator, larger tranny cooler and a 7 pin harness. Double check for 2008 but I don't think you have what you need. Try this site.

https://www.fleet.ford.com/showroom/...08_default.asp

Old 01-02-2010, 09:39 PM
5.4 Shelby
New User
Originally Posted by chevy24d
In 2007 they all had towing packages but the "heavy duty towing package" had a larger radiator, larger tranny cooler and a 7 pin harness. Double check for 2008 but I don't think you have what you need. Try this site.

https://www.fleet.ford.com/showroom/...08_default.asp
You are correct. I meant heavy duty towing package. And I agree, I don't think it has what I am looking for.

So I guess what I am stuck with is (besides finding a different car) is adding the proper components. Can that be done? Does adding the Tranny cooler do the job? Do I need the larger radiator? Do I need to change the rear end gearing?

Old 01-02-2010, 11:39 PM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
all 07+ Expy come with a basic Tow Package from the factory. this consists of a Class IV hitch and a 4-pin harness.

All 07+ Expy have a Trans cooler...but it is slightly wierd. the 07's had different Trans Coolers depending on the base package or Heavy Duty package...but it seems that the 08+ have the same coolers for both packages.

you can identify them by the electrical connectors.

4 pin only = basic 6,000 lb capacity
4 pin/7 pin = Heavy Duty 9,000 lb capacity

As for gearing, all EL's come with 3.73 gears. The regular length can have either 3.55 or 3.73...gotta check the door jamb code for certainty.

I suggest you check with the Dealership Parts guy. Have him check the Part # for the Trans cooler. We haven't been able to say 100% that the 08+ are using the same cooler.

Good choice of vehicle. I absolutely love my 08 EL Limited. We plan on keeping this bad puppy for the long haul...or until the 2012 Expy EL is released with a 6.2 motor...then all bets are off

Old 01-03-2010, 09:25 AM
5.4 Shelby
New User
Originally Posted by tylus

you can identify them by the electrical connectors.

4 pin only = basic 6,000 lb capacity
4 pin/7 pin = Heavy Duty 9,000 lb capacity

Good choice of vehicle. I absolutely love my 08 EL Limited. We plan on keeping this bad puppy for the long haul...or until the 2012 Expy EL is released with a 6.2 motor...then all bets are off
Thanks Tylus. I will go take a closer look at the connector tomorrow.

Good choice of vehicles with your other car. I love the Bullitts. I have a 2008 GT500 as my toy. The wife will be driving the Expy daily. But, I get to use it on weekends.

Old 01-03-2010, 11:40 AM
chuck s
Elder User
What Tylus said. Just walk to the back of the SUV and look.

The round 7-pole "Bargman" or "RV" trailer tow outlet only comes with the HD Tow package. It's to the right of the Class IV/V receiver. The 4-pole "boat trailer" outlet is on the left.

-- Chuck

Old 01-03-2010, 11:54 AM
5.4 Shelby
New User
Originally Posted by chuck s
What Tylus said. Just walk to the back of the SUV and look.

The round 7-pole "Bargman" or "RV" trailer tow outlet only comes with the HD Tow package. It's to the right of the Class IV/V receiver. The 4-pole "boat trailer" outlet is on the left.

-- Chuck
Thanks Chuck. I only saw the 4pin, but, I did not look at the right side of hitch. I plan to do that tomorrow or Tues.

Old 01-03-2010, 02:37 PM
chuck s
Elder User
HD Tow was an uncommon option, at least on the dealer floor plans. I recall seeing a list showing a stockage percentage under 10%. Most folks seem to buy these vehicles as Country Club vehicles. Why else have Eddie Bauer or Limited models?

I special ordered mine as there were none available with HD tow at all when I was ready to buy.

The larger engine and transmission radiators are standard Ford parts and can be easily albeit it expensively installed. The brake wiring is there (Blue, 5th wire), but not connected at the rear. The other two wires (trailer battery charge and another ground) would have to be added.

-- Chuck

Old 01-03-2010, 03:00 PM
chevy24d
Freshman User
Originally Posted by 5.4 Shelby
You are correct. I meant heavy duty towing package. And I agree, I don't think it has what I am looking for.

So I guess what I am stuck with is (besides finding a different car) is adding the proper components. Can that be done? Does adding the Tranny cooler do the job? Do I need the larger radiator? Do I need to change the rear end gearing?
Shelby,

I had 3:73's in the rear so upgrading my 07 was to upgrade the rad, cooler and lines. I did the wiring outlined here.
2007 Expedition trailer wiring - Ford Expedition Forum

The dealer did the coolers detailed here.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/6...xpedition.html

Hope this helps just keep in mind that the 08's and the 07's are slightly different.

Mark

BTW - Chuck has reminded me that this seemed like a lot of work when you could order it with a towing package! He is right, but like you, I had what I had. With these forums help (guys like Chuck) I did the wiring and the dealer did the upgrade and I tow a boat at about 9000+ a couple times a year with no issues.

Old 01-03-2010, 03:25 PM
5.4 Shelby
New User
Well, thanks to all of you. I have spent the afternoon researching this site while my Colts were getting hammered in Buffalo (of course Curtis Painter and the other backups were playing).

I found the thread regarding lookin gup your original window sticker. The HD tow package was not on there.

Likewise I have read several threads on the subject of upgrading it. I think I will work with the dealer and have it done as part of the purchase.

I will be sure to post pics of the truck once I get it home.

Old 01-03-2010, 07:44 PM
gpfarrell
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You know, it would be tempting to monitor the oil temp and trans temp without upgrading the coolers. If you're dragging the Mustang up long grades every day in July and August, I'm pretty certain you'd want them. On the other hand, you might find the standard set-up leaves you with enough of a safety margin. Maybe you could go for a couple of shorter test-pulls, maybe 15, 30, and 60 minutes with increasing levels of acceleration/aggression to see if your temps really climb. If they do, you'll know what to do!

Old 01-03-2010, 07:57 PM
5.4 Shelby
New User
Originally Posted by gpfarrell
You know, it would be tempting to monitor the oil temp and trans temp without upgrading the coolers. If you're dragging the Mustang up long grades every day in July and August, I'm pretty certain you'd want them. On the other hand, you might find the standard set-up leaves you with enough of a safety margin. Maybe you could go for a couple of shorter test-pulls, maybe 15, 30, and 60 minutes with increasing levels of acceleration/aggression to see if your temps really climb. If they do, you'll know what to do!
Certainly worth considering. I live in Indiana. Very flat. However, the places I would be towing it to are hilly places. I want to take it back to the Tail of the Dragon. I would also like to take to the Rocky Mtns. Both would likely be summer trips.

My Shelby weighs about 3900 lbs dry. I don't know how much an enclosed trailer weighs. My family of 5 would weigh in about 700#. Add a couple hundred pounds of luggage and flyfishing gear. I would be at 5000 without the trailer.

Old 01-04-2010, 12:47 AM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
sounds like a good idea to have the Dealership install the HD rad. I'm a huge fan of using OEM components whenever possible.

since you will be towing alot, I highly suggest you pick up a Scangauge to monitor the tranny temps and other parameters...and/or get custom tuning.

VMP Tuning and 5 Star tuning are highly reguarded in the F-150 and Expy world.

btw, when you pick up the Expy, unplug your battery for at least 30 minutes. Ford uses a smart tranny that learns your driving style...and adapts to that.
so if they prior owner drove like grandma, the tranny will shift soft and you'll have no performance.

luckily, my wife is a very aggressive driver. So my Expy is pretty responsive. I've managed to squeal the tires on this 6,000+ lb pig several times.
Good choice of vehicles with your other car. I love the Bullitts. I have a 2008 GT500 as my toy. The wife will be driving the Expy daily. But, I get to use it on weekends.
I had a 2006 Supercrew F-150 FX4 with a RoushCharger as my toy...then the wife got preggo with Twins

had to sell the truck to finance the Expy...but luckily the stars aligned and I got my Bullitt for way way under invoice price. Now I can't wait until Oct so I can get a GT500 front-clip and FRPP Whipple and give cars like yours a run for thier money

Old 01-04-2010, 06:40 AM
chuck s
Elder User
Oil temperature is not available on the buss, but transmission, cylinder head, and engine coolant temperatures are.

I bought this Interceptor gauge to monitor things while towing my camper.

-- Chuck

Old 01-04-2010, 02:55 PM
gpfarrell
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't know how much an enclosed trailer weighs.
I pulled my buddy's enclosed snowmobile trailer one time and was dumbfounded when he told me how heavy it was.

I'd guess an enclosed car trailer could be 3500# empty. The enclosed ones punch a pretty big hole in the air too, but your Expedition should help to clear alot of that air out of your way.

Quick Reply: How do I Identify Towing Package?