1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

flathead alt conversion belt help

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 05:07 PM
sosotwo
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I ground the mounting ears off a gm alt then put on my pully off my gen I then made a new strap to go around alt and put it the stock location been working for 6 years

Old 01-17-2010, 06:21 PM
norvillebob
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
Is it hitting the timing cover? Honestly, I'd just get a longer belt. If you mount the alt low, it may just mean you need to buy a shorter fan belt, and you go thru the whole mess again.

That was the issue. the "parts dude" at advanced auto had no clue how to get a longer belt. I'll have to run up to napa. I was curious if I had a short belt or the wrong bracket or was just doing something wrong.

bob

Old 01-17-2010, 06:28 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Originally Posted by norvillebob
That was the issue. the "parts dude" at advanced auto had no clue how to get a longer belt. ...

bob
I can sympathize; I called over to Pep Boys to check if they had 1/4" vacuum/emissions hose by the foot, and the "dude" said he'd never heard of anything but heater hose and EFI hose. He must be right

Old 01-18-2010, 09:21 AM
HD74
Elder User
The belt I'm using is Gates #TR24578 Green Stripe II Belt.

Old 01-18-2010, 11:32 AM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by HD74
The belt I'm using is Gates #TR24578 Green Stripe II Belt.
Gates shows that as a nominal 58" long belt (outside measurement)

Old 01-18-2010, 11:55 AM
norvillebob
Elder User
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
Gates shows that as a nominal 58" long belt (outside measurement)

I just picked up both belts for the price Advance auto was asking for one. Napa had them on the wall and either +- of my length.

Old 01-18-2010, 03:33 PM
norvillebob
Elder User
I found out the problem. the old belt is a but undersized, but the bracket I have is hitting the top ion my intake "slot" I'm going to trip the bracket down a smidge right in the corner and see what happens. I tried the longer belt and it's too long, So I have to make another trip up there tomorrow. I want to lower it a to lessen the leverage applied to the bracket.

PS, It looks like my bracket "slot" is broken on the passengers side will this be a problem??

Old 01-18-2010, 04:39 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Do you mean the slot on the intake? It should not be a problem, because the remaining side of the slot plus the bolt will hole it in place. There are ways to repair that, too.

I would trim the top of the intake rather than the corner of the slingshot.

Old 01-30-2010, 12:50 PM
mjoiner
Cross-Country
Where to get slingshot alternator bracket?

Where did yall get the brackets? I found several different places online, but they all have a note that they won't work with the 5/8's truck belt. One site says you must shave off 1/2-5/8 of the bottom of the alt. and the spacers to get proper alignment. Anybody selling one that will fit the trucks?

Mitch

Old 01-30-2010, 01:01 PM
norvillebob
Elder User
I got mine off ebay I don;t have the link anymore. mine is kinda offset to move the al back and it comes with a spacer.. I may have to add a washer to get final alignament.

bob

Old 01-30-2010, 01:05 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Mitch, where do you see those notes ? Personally I use narrow belts anyway, but that sounds like the problems Bob had. I never heard of those problems until recently, plenty of 59-series flatties were converted long before I did mine, plenty of 8BA's were too, and none of them mentioned any such problems. I have to believe the grinding and spacers are when you use a certain alternator and when you want to use the stock belt? Either that or they changed the design of the slingshots? Did the supply of 10Si alternators dry up?

I got my setup from Certified Electric on eBay, went on with no problems whatsoever. At the time I bought, you specified wide or narrow belts and neither of them required a spacer or pulley extension for either pulley, yet lately I've seen as much as 2" spacers behind the pulley.

Check here:
1940-53 Ford Flathead Generator Conversion : eBay Motors (item 310196897521 end time Feb-02-10 05:15:40 PST)

Old 01-30-2010, 03:51 PM
mjoiner
Cross-Country
Didn't make sense to me either. Yours did not come with a spacer? Sounds like they mean that the alt. has to set farther back toward the engine to allow for the wider belts. I'm emailing the co.'s to ask. I think they are refering to a spacer that goes behind the bracket, not a pulley spacer. The co. you mentioned list the same bracket for the car and truck even though they clearly list them as having the different belt widths. What width belt do you use? My pulleys are measuring 5/8's.

Mitch
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This one from the Hot Rod Co.

1946-1953 Flathead Alternator Mounting Bracket

Mounts the common SI-style GM alternator in a centered location on 1946-1953 Flathead Ford V8s. This bracket is made to work with the two narrow belt drive system typical of late 1950 to 1953 Ford/Mercury passenger cars. To use this bracket on a wide belt car or truck you would need to cut approximately 1/2"-5/8" from the wide boss on the base of the alternator. You would also need to cut a similar amount from the spacer supplied with the bracket. Choose plain or chrome.

1946-1953 Flathead Alternator Mounting Bracket - Plain $48.95
more detail [Add To Cart
Bracket

This one from the fifth ave garage:
Fits all 1946-1953 Ford Flathead applications. Mounts the 89/90 series alternator in the same position as the original generator. You use the same belt and adjustment procedure as before.
Part #89502LB-
$75.00 each

Note: The Flathead Ford Brackets will also fit Mercury and most Lincoln applications.

Tech Tip - 89502LB brackets are not designed to be used in combination with long shaft truck water pumps.

This one from speedway motors:
Just because you've got a vintage Flathead Ford V8 in your ride doesn't mean you want an antiquated charging system. Upgrading to a tried-and-true GM-style alternator is a good upgrade for any Flathead-equipped vehicle with a 12-volt electrical system.

This heavy-duty chrome bracket makes it easy to mount that reliable alternator on your old Flattie.

This bracket is made to work with the two narrow belt drive system typical of late 1950 to 1953 Ford/Mercury passenger cars. It will not work with wide belts unless the alternator is modified.

To use this bracket on a wide belt car or truck you would need to cut approximately 1/2"-5/8" from the wide boss on the base of the alternator. You would also need to cut a similar amount from the spacer supplied with the bracket. This must be done to get the alternator pulley to line up with the drive belt.

Old 01-30-2010, 04:14 PM
mjoiner
Cross-Country
Alt bracket follow up

I went back and read the into on those sites again. It says narrow two belt system on passenger cars. Maybe this includes the 5/8's belts. Doesn't really say, but could be that wide belt is refering to a large aftermarket serpentine belt or something like that? Hopefully, they will clear it up when they get my emails.

Mitch

Old 01-30-2010, 04:41 PM
norvillebob
Elder User
Flathead Ford Generator - Alternator Conversion Bracket : eBay Motors (item 250419408849 end time Mar-01-10 12:05:24 PST)

here's a link to the different types I did not buy this bracket I think I only paid $40+ ship

this one with no pics
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-...Q5fAccessories

also the trouble with installing it was all my fault. The bracket was fine and a regular 5/8" belt should work. I could not get the belt over the pulley. once I tipped the bracket forward evrything went together.

Old 01-30-2010, 05:58 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
I don't know what to say. Like the Certified Electric auction says, their bracket works with either wide or flat, you just swap pulleys. What is the boss on the alternator they are saying needs to be hacked?

For various reasons (PO related), my engine is a car engine that I put truck water pumps on with car pulleys. So my setup is like a car's (two narrow belts).

What's confusing me is that car and truck generators (AFAIK) are identical except for the width of the sheave, and so is the shoe they mount in. Can one of you post a picture of a truck generator that shows the sheave mounted on it?

Edit: it sounds like they are saying that the mount and alternator need to move down, not to the front?

Quick Reply: flathead alt conversion belt help