1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Truck not shifting correctly, speedometer not working

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2015, 12:15 PM
Butch5
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey guys, I'd like to resurrect this thread. I'm having these same problems with my 95 E250 but it's gas not diesel. I was driving at highway speed when it shifted hard and I lost all electrical power momentarily. It cam back on but it's not right. The Headlights are dim, the speedo doesn't work, the odometer does display, the oil gauge is maxed out, the temp gauge is all over the place and the battery gauge stays around 8. The van starts right up no problem and the battery seems good. I have checked the fuses under the dash (except the metal ones) and I replaced the vss although not with a Ford one. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 04-09-2016, 03:25 PM
Kustomblack1
New User
This same thing happened on my 1999 ford ranger xlt, I solved it with this guys video

Old 08-03-2016, 11:19 PM
edwardldog
Posting Guru
Hey Folks I have a 1997 F350 CC 4x4 E4OD and had this same problem one morning no Speedo, Bad shifting, Changed the VSS and no luck, then did another search found this video.
thought no way... sure enough changed that fuse my door lock started working, my dome light came on, my Speedo started working and it shifted back to normal.

Now mind you I checked both fuse block twice and for some reason missed that #8 15 amp fuse. it had a 10 in it.....

Old 08-25-2016, 03:56 AM
powellba
New User
I was having problems with my 95 e150 transmission shifting gears. Replaced VSS hoping it would be the easy fix. Now with the new sensor my speedometer will begin bouncing at 45mph. I have replaced the sensor 3 times, any suggestions as to why? Possibly dirty connections?

Old 08-25-2016, 09:11 PM
z31freakify
Hotshot
Received 1,184 Likes on 813 Posts
Did you buy a Motorcraft VSS or a generic parts store sensor? Also the ring gear in the diff can have broken teeth.

Old 08-26-2016, 08:43 AM
knottyrope
Lead Driver
Received 866 Likes on 660 Posts
Could also be a broken wire going to the VSS that losses contact with vibration

Old 08-26-2016, 03:50 PM
powellba
New User
Bought one from NAPA, Autozone and O'Reilly's. Speedometer was fine before replacing the original. Was was shifting funny on irregular basis is the reason I changed it, hoping for a possible quick fix. Called Ford dealer and said it was no longer available. Didn't sound right but who knows.

Old 08-26-2016, 08:09 PM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
They're still available. But from what I've read, the new ones are plastic and not as good as the original steel ones. So a trip to the boneyard might be in order.

This reminds me (oh-oh, I'm hijacking a hijack....) - does anyone know the diameter of the opening that the VSS goes into in the diff? I just bought a trailer made from a '95 F150, and it occurred to me there's a VSS in there, that I could stash as a spare. But I'd need to plug the hole, and put a bolt in the bolt-hole, after removing it. Anyone know what would work? I suppose I could ask someone to send me their old inop one....

Old 10-02-2016, 11:13 AM
kmartindale86
New User
I am having the same problem. Truck has 1st and overdrive. But even in overdrive it hesitates and almost tries to down shift when giving it more gas. Speedo also went out at the same time says im going 100.

Old 07-06-2017, 09:30 PM
Hatfield8790
New User
Electrical malfunctions and trans not wanting to pull

My fuse 13 keeps blowing. The speedometer, odometer, and radio shut down and overdrive button flashes and truck starts shifting really hard and doesn't want to go. I unhook batteries for couple hours and replace fuse it runs again for a little then does it again what could it be causing fuse to keep blowing

Old 07-09-2017, 09:54 AM
mcali2
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Hatfield8790
My fuse 13 keeps blowing. The speedometer, odometer, and radio shut down and overdrive button flashes and truck starts shifting really hard and doesn't want to go. I unhook batteries for couple hours and replace fuse it runs again for a little then does it again what could it be causing fuse to keep blowing
The fuse is blowing due to a short or maybe drawing too much power from something added. did you add a new radio or amps?

Old 07-09-2017, 11:24 AM
Hatfield8790
New User
Originally Posted by mcali2
The fuse is blowing due to a short or maybe drawing too much power from something added. did you add a new radio or amps?
No didn't add a new radio or amps but did set a can of MTN dew on my dash the other day while getting fuel at the station when got back in truck and shut door can turned over and spilled in my radio and it went crazy. For a little while and then started working again after a while. I also noticed my air conditioner pump was unplugged and I plugged it in and started using it. Have used it before but had unplugged it cause it run constantly no matter what the switch setting is on except it's turned off
The ac pump doesn't turn

Old 07-09-2017, 11:35 AM
Hatfield8790
New User
Originally Posted by Hatfield8790
No didn't add a new radio or amps but did set a can of MTN dew on my dash the other day while getting fuel at the station when got back in truck and shut door can turned over and spilled in my radio and it went crazy. For a little while and then started working again after a while. I also noticed my air conditioner pump was unplugged and I plugged it in and started using it. Have used it before but had unplugged it cause it run constantly no matter what the switch setting is on except it's turned off
The ac pump doesn't turn
Also the morning this happen my truck wouldn't start like the battery was dead it would crank but wouldn't turn motor fast enough to start it. I jumped it off with my wife's car and started to town and got about 15 min up the Rd and hit a hole in the Rd and speedometer quit and radio and then of light started flashing and transmission started shifting g hard. I drove it home unhooked batteries and put new battery in place of the bad one I assumed and drove it again. Started raining hard and it did it again. Got almost home and transmission didn't want to take gear and pull itself in driveway. Any help would be greatly appreciated the truck is my lifeline and my work horse. Thanks

Old 07-09-2017, 02:47 PM
mcali2
Posting Guru
Will It sounds like you have some issues for sure. You should make sure you have the correct size fuse in too. I disconnected everything I could that was connected to the circuit I was having a problem with. I hooked up a test light to the fuse circuit that keeps blowing. If the light is on there is power draw somewhere. I had to move everything until I seen the light go out and then I knew where to I had to focus on. or just start looking at everything under the dash. Finding a should really is a in person thing. unplugging and moving.. The test light is a major help.

Old 02-06-2018, 04:11 PM
97Expeditionproblems
New User
HELP!!

YOU EVER GET THIS FIXED ??? MY FORD EXPEDITION DID THE SAME I CHANGED BOTH SENSORS THE ONE THAT GOES TO THE DIFF AND TO THE TRANSMISSION AND I EVERN GOT ANOTHER CLUSTER!! HELP!!
Originally Posted by Butch5
Hey guys, I'd like to resurrect this thread. I'm having these same problems with my 95 E250 but it's gas not diesel. I was driving at highway speed when it shifted hard and I lost all electrical power momentarily. It cam back on but it's not right. The Headlights are dim, the speedo doesn't work, the odometer does display, the oil gauge is maxed out, the temp gauge is all over the place and the battery gauge stays around 8. The van starts right up no problem and the battery seems good. I have checked the fuses under the dash (except the metal ones) and I replaced the vss although not with a Ford one. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Quick Reply: Truck not shifting correctly, speedometer not working