Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-16-2010, 01:48 PM
New User

ehunkins is starting off with a positive reputation.
1992 F150 300 4.9L with rear Oil leak

I just wanted to do my part and contribute a little to the forum. I am having starting problems with mine (another thread) and have been under it working on the starter.

At night I have been reading other posts for my second problem, a profuse leaking of what I thought was the rear main seal. I read several posts by some very wise gentleman that inferred that the OP, and myself, may be suffering from a rear oil pan leak from pushed out gaskets, and not a leaking rear main. While under the vehicle today I noticed that the rear oil pan gaskets were bulged out and are almost certainly the cause for my leak (not a rear main)

I snapped a few pictures of this so that people in the future know to look for it. So they will not have to cry in the deep dark corners of the house late at night when nobody is around when thinking about replacing a rear main, or buying a short block. These pictures are hosted on my site and may, or may not, be available in the future. If there is an admin type person that would want to take the pictures and put them in a more permanent place feel free.

http://www.bentspoonsystems.com/images/pangasket1.jpg
http://www.bentspoonsystems.com/images/pangasket2.jpg
Old 01-16-2010, 04:39 PM
New User

yoteeee is starting off with a positive reputation.
That pan leak from a buldged gasket is very common on the 4.9, mostly because most operators never even look underneath until they a mad about puddles.
I think the last one I did cost about $15.00 and was done in under half an hour, but we did have to raise the engine to get the pan out.
Old 01-16-2010, 04:47 PM
Elder User

fishforlife2007 is starting off with a positive reputation.
i have the 4.9 in my truck and need to do this fix as well.. i am waiting till the spring when it is warmer to tackle it...im gunna do the valve cover, thermostat gasket, and the pushrod cover.....all are seeping... fun!(not) for anyone doing the pan gasket tho, make sure you use a quality 1 piece gasket(felpro).

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6CylBill View Post
The only way this Bronco could get any better is if Jessica Alba and Lindsey Lohan made love and waxed this Bronco with their combined love juices.
1995 F150 Flareside w/ six cylinders of fury, SAS'd, Locked, and sittin on 35's for now
Old 01-16-2010, 04:47 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks

Tags
1992, 49, 49l, 92, axel, bronco, f150, ford, l6, leak, leaking, litre, main, oil, rear, seal