Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

F450(F SuperDuty) parking brake inquiry

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2010, 10:06 AM
LMS Residential
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
F450(F SuperDuty) parking brake inquiry

My new to me 93 F450 boom truck came equipped from the factory with a driveline e brake. When the previous owner replaced the transmission, the shop apparently scrapped ALL of the components as it was not working. Parts are gone and deal was closed over a month ago. My fault for not being aware of the driveline e brake. I just assumed a cable was loose or not adjusted properly.
It appears the original e brake setup is complicated, difficult to adjust, needs fluid maintenance and, worse yet, about 1400.00 in components to put back together....and that's if I can locate all of them.

QUESTION/HELP: Does anyone know of a more conventional retrofit that I might be able to procure instead of reinventing the wheel? I need to be able to prove the e brake can stop this beast from 20mph in order to pass safety here. Kind of at a loss as to what to do.

Thanks in advance, hope this is posted in the correct forum.

Old 01-16-2010, 10:36 AM
starmilt
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You can install a line lock for the rear brakes probably for around 100 bucks.
I have never seen one on the front brakes, but they would also work if you needed all of them to hold.

Old 01-16-2010, 10:43 AM
LMS Residential
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by starmilt
I have never seen one on the front brakes, but they would also work if you needed all of them to hold.
THANK YOU and I definitely owe you one. Going to research right now.

Old 01-16-2010, 10:51 AM
LMS Residential
Post Fiend
Wow, took me all of 5 minutes to remember my drag racing days and the hurst line locs we used to heat up the rubber. Never would have made the association, my 50 year old brain not up to snuff. thanx again.

Old 01-16-2010, 11:06 AM
starmilt
Post Fiend
LOL I have the same kind of brain, but I happen to still have one on my wrecker. They actaully hold better than a factory park brake.

Old 01-16-2010, 11:19 AM
LMS Residential
Post Fiend
I'll actually feel safer putting my guys up in the boom too. Since the truck is idling during operation, the idea of a hydraulic lock plus the wheel chocks seems safer than a driveline brake that is likely to need frequent adjustments.
The safety inspection actually requires an independent system but I think if I install the lineloc switch to engage as the parking brake pedal is depressed it will likely go unnoticed.

Old 01-16-2010, 11:24 AM
starmilt
Post Fiend
Is the parking brake hydraulic on the 450. I have never used a line lock on disc and the 450 has rear disc doesn't it. So let us know how this turns out please.

Old 01-16-2010, 11:33 AM
LMS Residential
Post Fiend
Is the parking brake hydraulic on the 450. I have never used a line lock on disc and the 450 has rear disc doesn't it. So let us know how this turns out please.
Yes, giant 14" (I think) rear discs. This will take some thought and research to get right but I'll do it. If I'm feeling ambitious I'll take some pics of the install when I find the time to do it.
Not sure if the driveline brake was technically hydraulic but it did have a fluid cup at the factory location at the rear of the transmission tailshaft, at least thats how it seems to have been since the po had it all taken out. I believe it was trans fluid used to fill the reservoir.
Still learning.

Old 01-16-2010, 06:47 PM
tecgod13
Logistics Pro
Received 120 Likes on 101 Posts
The driveline brake is not hydraulic. Its cable operated like a normal parking brake. The fluid is I think ATF, and lubricates the bearings in the unit. Since it runs off the rear output of the tranny, it needs a set of bearings to support the driveshaft.
Adjustment shouldn't really be that hard, as in tighten the cable if needed, I don't think there is any other adjustment except for tightening the nut to preload the bearings.

I have a complete unit if you're interested. I got a spare tranny and motor out of something that had the ebrake installed (don't remember what it was, but it had the ebrake and a pto as well). I put the tranny in my truck a couple months ago when I swapped it to 4wd, and have no use for the ebrake setup.
The bad news is that a seal was leaking somewhere and got filled with oil or atf. I think the rear seal on the tranny was leaking and that filled it, but I'm not positive. The brake shoes are soaked, but may be salvageable. I can dig up the pictures if you're interested.

Old 01-16-2010, 08:49 PM
LCAM-01XA
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No, you cannot - a line lock is not considered an emergency brake, and anyone serious about safety inspections (myself included) will automatically fail you if this is what you're using instead of a real e-brake of some sort. Reasoning: the e-brake is an entirely separate system that does not require input from the brake pedal or master cylinder to operate, so should your main hydraulic brakes fail in any way you still have a way of slowing down and hopefully stopping the truck. A line lock will hold your truck in place if it's installed properly so it would work as a parking brake, however as it relies on the main line pressure off the master cylinder it has absolutely no way of helping you stop should you have a major malfunction with the master cylinder, so it cannot be used as an emergency brake.

Old 01-16-2010, 09:02 PM
LMS Residential
Post Fiend
looks like I have some homework to do yet. Tecgod, I'd take you up on your offer to buy the components right now but I want to make sure I'm confident in getting thru the install 1st and I'm reading about all sorts of problems with the driveline brakes, guessing thats why my seller abandoned them. Really want to chew on this first. If ok, I'll pm you when I decide what to do here.
Thanks for all the input and replies so far.

Old 01-16-2010, 09:09 PM
starmilt
Post Fiend
Some school buses have an electric motor powered Ebrake and they only have one line to the calipers so I assumed they were using the same system.

Old 01-16-2010, 09:14 PM
LMS Residential
Post Fiend
cool, theres another angle...like to avoid that factory set up if possible

Old 01-16-2010, 10:07 PM
starmilt
Post Fiend
What was the guy using that you bought it from. I can just imagine a wild ride in the bucket.

Old 01-17-2010, 05:53 AM
LMS Residential
Post Fiend
What was the guy using that you bought it from. I can just imagine a wild ride in the bucket.
2 huge hard rubber wheel chocks. Which I would be fine with for myself but no way one of the good folks who work for me. We all choose acceptable risks, I'm good with an automatic in park, wheel chucks, front wheels to the curb, reasonably level ground. Been at this over 30 years. The seller was a one man operation and apparently he was good with it too.

Explains, in part, the really good deal I thought I got here. Guessing he was aware of the costs associated with the driveline brake replacement. I don't regret the purchase, very pleased with everything else. Liking that 7.3 IDI a lot, it grows on you, sometimes I run it for fun instead of using my 08. 16000 lbs and 13-14 mpg just amazes me, very efficient motor.

Quick Reply: F450(F SuperDuty) parking brake inquiry