2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator

Manual -> Auto Climate Control

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 12:45 PM
gpfarrell
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Manual -> Auto Climate Control

I doubt anybody has done this... but maybe somebody knows:

How tough would it be to switch the manual heater & air conditioner controls in an XLT to the automatic controller from an EB or Limited?

Obviously you'd need the controller, the trim around it, and likely a few sensors... but beyond that, is there much difference?

Thanks for any ideas!

Old 01-15-2010, 12:46 PM
berry1234
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I personally would rather have the manual. The auto is a pain and I am constantly adjusting it up and down.

Old 01-15-2010, 01:00 PM
gpfarrell
Senior User
I guess different strokes for different folks. I've really become spoiled by having "auto" in a bunch of vehicles now and find I'm always adjusting the the "manual" in my pick-up to try and stay comfortable.

Any idea if its a feasible swap?

Old 01-15-2010, 01:31 PM
berry1234
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have read F150 owners posts and it's more complicated and expensive that it looks. The pcm needs to be reprogrammed, wire harness, etc.

Old 01-15-2010, 02:57 PM
welfarewagon
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I thought this was a math question,
is Manual less then or equal to Auto Climate Control

Old 01-15-2010, 03:00 PM
gpfarrell
Senior User
I know... maybe life was easier when we rolled the window down for cold air or tossed a piece of cardboard in front of the rad for more warm air. That was manual! (Oh, and definately "less than" too!)

Old 01-15-2010, 06:32 PM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
feel free to search the 04-08 F-150 section.

I've seen 2 guys attempt the actual swap. 1 of them quit once the parts got over $1,000

the 2nd guy did the swap, but ended up going back to manual. he couldn't get any of the electronics to talk with the PCM and it never worked.

the swap is quite frankly impossible. the PCM controls the thing, you have the temp sensors behind the dash, you need the HVAC control unit...and basically you need an entire new dash as the manual and electronic don't have same components.

I highly suggest you trade in the Expy and buy one with it installed. On the flip side, this is my 2nd Ford with the Auto HVAC and I am not a fan of the Expy one. My 06 F-150 worked great. My Expy is hard to dial in, and the damn thing won't talk with the A/C seats

Old 01-16-2010, 06:40 AM
chuck s
Elder User
Manual AC/heat temperature control has been about my only gripe with Ford the past 8 years. I'm old enough to remember when such options were available without moving up $5000 to a higher trim level or without buying a $2000 package.

My Honda Accords have had this feature for a couple of decades. Just set to 72°F and make few adjustments. In the summer I'm constantly moving the temperature **** a click or two in either direction depending on the direction of the sun, clouds, etc.

-- Chuck

Old 01-16-2010, 09:00 AM
gpfarrell
Senior User
Well, I suppose now I know!

I was pretty sure we wanted an EB, but when we stopped by the Ford dealership yesterday (picking up my '97 F250HD for the cruise control recall... they even washed the monster for $0.00! Thank you Shults Ford!) my wife spotted a blue XLT that she thought looked really nice and I began to wonder if my Expedition EL dream might be a few thousand dollars closer to reality if we took the XLT route.

But it seems like we'd be missing too many toys, and I think the climate control is one we'd really want. Oh well, at least now I know. Thanks!

Old 01-16-2010, 09:50 AM
5.4 Shelby
New User
My 1995 EB Explorer had auto temp control. Honestly, I did not like it. The auto features seemed to be way too agressive. So most of the time I used it as a manual control.

The '09 Limited I just bought and am picking up Monday has the auto controls. I am hoping they have improved the function of them since then.

btw, gpfarrell, I hope your dream car works out for you soon. I looked at several XLTs. They are nice, but, you are right. Missing many of the toys I and my wife wanted.

Old 01-16-2010, 09:58 AM
eddiemoney
Senior User
I hate the auto system, my first ford. . .so maybe it takes getting used to. It typically runs close to high until it is up to temperature, drives me crazy. I like a medium fan most of the time, I don't care if it takes another 60 seconds to warm up or cool down. . . .auto doesn't seem to understand me :P

Old 01-16-2010, 11:08 AM
5.4 Shelby
New User
Originally Posted by eddiemoney
I hate the auto system, my first ford. . .so maybe it takes getting used to. It typically runs close to high until it is up to temperature, drives me crazy. I like a medium fan most of the time, I don't care if it takes another 60 seconds to warm up or cool down. . . .auto doesn't seem to understand me :P
That is exactly what I was trying to say when I said "too aggressive".

I also prefer less fan. Esp with the heated seats, I see me not using the "Auto" feature.

Old 01-16-2010, 10:57 PM
gpfarrell
Senior User
5.4 Shelby... you got one? Congrats! I missed that headline!

I'm trying to hold off until April/May. We'll get a used one so that will give them a few more months to come down in price while we save up a few more bucks. I suppose if the perfect one came along tomorrow I'd ****** it up, but my wife could tell you that I'd just start searching for my next dream car then!

The automatic climate control in my '03 Marauder works flawlessly, and I could say the same for my '91 and '95 SHOs. I had a Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT-8 though and wasn't crazy about the auto controls in it, so I hear both sides.

Old 01-18-2010, 12:15 AM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
another thing that the auto setup annoys me with is the drivers right leg.

my 06 F-150 worked perfectly.

My EL freezes my gas pedal foot. and from what I've read in the 09+ F-150 forum, they have the same issue. the diverter doors on the auto units aren't as good as the doors in a manual unit

@ gpfarrell.

if you are looking at a 09+ Expy, they come standard with a butt-ton of goodies now standard. I would look at getting a XLT, then figure on spending $1,000 for a aftermarket DVD system (in-dash unit and 4 headrests), the Power Hatch is standard, and you can buy leather seat skins for $400-500 and save thousands.

definately something to consider. you can upgrade darn near everything to the higher trims for not alot of $$$. and if the right XLT comes along, why not? I highly sugggest you try for a EL though. that extra 1' is extremely nice

Old 01-18-2010, 08:14 PM
gpfarrell
Senior User
Tylus,

That's almost exactly what I was considering, and if I only wanted a few toys, I think that would be the smart path to take.

But I'd like the climate control and heated seats are on the top of my wife's list. The DVD & wheels would be easy to add, but the "wood" grain dash, steering wheel radio controls, turn-signal mirrors and rain-sensing wipers all start to add up to a fair amount of chasing parts and hoping I can do it as well as the factory would have.

In my single days that would have all been lots of fun, but with 3 boys all under the age of 6 it would be a drawn-out distraction.

Oh, and maybe Ford made some mid-year changes, but my 2009 brochure only lists the power liftgate as standard on the Limited and KRs. It says you needed the EB cconvenience package to get it. The packages and differences from year-to-year really keep me confused, so I might have this wrong.

Thanks.
Greg

Quick Reply: Manual -> Auto Climate Control