1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Auto Carwash

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 08:24 PM
sgtrwt
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Auto Carwash

It was a fairly decent day here in the mid-Atlantic region so I washed my 2009 F250 (4x4 CC w/ 20 inch wheels) today to get the road salt off. It made me think - I used to own a 2004 F150 (4x4 SC) that I could take through an automatic carwash in the winter time instead of hand washing. Will the F250 fit into a standard automatic carwash? I can measure the height to see if it meets the height requirements, but the carwash doesn't specify a width requirement. I was wondering if anyone has taken their superduty through a carwash.

Old 01-14-2010, 08:33 PM
2002 F350V10
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Since I work for a chain of carwashes, I wash mine all the time through both a tunnel or a touchless auto. For either I simply fold the mirrors in. Of course I am not referring to any duallys. The height could be an issue at some , so check first, but the width should be fine.

Old 01-14-2010, 08:45 PM
I.B. Washincars
Laughing Gas
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I am a car wash owner and have several touchless autos and one friction (rotating brushes) type. I have an '08 F-250 with paddle mirrors. A mirror will touch if I don't get centered, but all in all it fits just fine. Height-wise, it clears by about 2". Most washes can handle an F-250. If they couldn't it would be very hard for the CW mfrs. to sell them.

Regarding duallies, some will and some won't. Two of my washes can fit a dually, but wash quality is not up to my liking. The shape of the rear fenders causes my wash to miss an area on the front of the fenders.

Make sure the car wash accepts duallies before you drive it in. It ain't pretty if it don't fit. Keep in mind a car wash machine cost about what two dually trucks cost.

Old 01-14-2010, 08:46 PM
Gizmo285
Freshman User
I drive my 2009 F350 thru the Delta sonic by me and i have a back rack that clears the last exit door by about a 1/16 of an inch. Sure is nice to drive thru because it is a pain the the a$$ to try and wash the cab roof etc..

Old 01-14-2010, 09:41 PM
redford
Received 1,561 Likes on 909 Posts
Mine gets frequent trips through the automatic car wash in the winter to get the road salt off. Like was stated, mirrors fold in, she fits fine.

Call me a weenie, I am not going to hand wash the truck when it is 3 degrees outside.

Old 01-15-2010, 06:38 PM
Rugby3
Elder User
My 01 CC LB does not fit in an automatic car wash length wise. With the mirrors folded in it was still a tight fit. It was an interesting moment when the arms came down on the end of the bed/tailgate and stopped the wash. The owner wasn't too pleased.

Old 01-15-2010, 06:47 PM
LaxPlaya21
Posting Guru
I have a hard time taking any of my vehicles through car washes. No offense to the guys on here who own them, I wish I did! However, those things scratch the life out of the paint. Even the nicest car washes I have been to, they all scratch your paint. What I like to do in the winter is go to the self serve car wash. I bring my own brushes, soap and a bucket. I power wash off all the sand and salt and soap up the truck, and fill up my bucket on the first 5 min run. Then I take my time using my soft brushes, clean everything off knowing I am not on the clock. Then I run the second 5 mins on fresh water and it comes out great without a scratch on it. It costs me $6.00 bucks.

If you have a self serve wash by you... try out this technique. Its like washing it at home, except everything is setup for ya!

Old 01-15-2010, 07:31 PM
VTX1800rider
Senior User
I use a touchless during the winter. Even with the mirrors out it fits fine. I won't use one that uses brushes or the heavy hanging rags anymore. I lost a hood deflector.

I also won't take my 200lb Neo Mastiff in one anymore. The first and last time he must have thought we were being attacked and flipped out, wanting to bite the brushes. No real damage but the extra quart of druel was a pain to mop up.

Old 01-15-2010, 08:17 PM
seminaryranger
More Turbo
Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
I know my '09 will fit... at least when it had stock tires.
Width wise, I have to bring in the mirrors. Heighth wise, it was close stock but it made it. Now that I've gone up a couple of sizes for tires, I'm curious to see if it will fit. An number of "touchless" carwashes have a 7' max heigth. A 4WD Super Duty gets close to that with factory tires.

Old 01-15-2010, 08:37 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,415 Likes on 1,010 Posts
mine will fit. with the power mirrors I just hit the button and then in I go...get the boys to dry it off when finished.

Old 01-15-2010, 08:40 PM
sgtrwt
New User
Thanks for the replies

Thanks to everyone for the replies. This forum is a great place for seeking information and advice.

I don't mind washing my F250 myself, but following snow and road salt in the winter time it just makes more sense to take it through a brushless carwash. I just wanted to make sure it would fit. Thanks again.

Old 01-15-2010, 09:18 PM
spinella
Postmaster
Originally Posted by redford
Mine gets frequent trips through the automatic car wash in the winter to get the road salt off. Like was stated, mirrors fold in, she fits fine.

Call me a weenie, I am not going to hand wash the truck when it is 3 degrees outside.

WEENIE. you asked for it.even my wife breaks out the dish washing gloves and washes her truck. i also have hot and cold water hooked to my hose. me i'm lucky we have a hot powerwash at work. i hate road salt.

Old 01-16-2010, 01:13 PM
chambers
Junior User
Originally Posted by redford

Three degrees? What a *****... I washed mine by hand yesterday when it got up to 32.5F LOL

Old 01-16-2010, 01:58 PM
weyland426
More Turbo
I lost a towing mirrow on my 79 F350 when the rotating brush arm snagged it, a fender flare on my supercrew when the wheel brush sensors were too dirty to work properly, and a touchless raked it's jets across the bedside and tailgate on this truck because i exceeded the length (not displayed). I will now only go thru Mike's Express...they do a fantastic job and i fit with a few inches to spare (that's what she said).

Old 01-16-2010, 02:48 PM
ironmine
Senior User
My '02 CC LWB fits in the two local car washes .... one is brand new, the other is very old.

Originally Posted by Rugby3
My 01 CC LB does not fit in an automatic car wash length wise. With the mirrors folded in it was still a tight fit. It was an interesting moment when the arms came down on the end of the bed/tailgate and stopped the wash. The owner wasn't too pleased.

Quick Reply: Auto Carwash