1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Rebuild time?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 03:03 PM
Oldblue77
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rebuild time?

Hello all. I am new to this forum, I am however not new to the 1994.5-1997 Ford trucks. I have a 1997 F250, CC,SB 4" Lift, 35's, H2E Turbo, BTS Trans, Bean Stage II's, 3" DP, 5" Stock Exit minus feline. Intercooler soon (pics soon)160K

Gentlemen, Here is my problem. On my last trip I noticed the temp gauge climbing as I went up hill and cooled as I was going down hill. When I say climb I mean climb very fast. Well I think I put a hole in a piston. I have no power and the crank case pressurizes when the engine attempts to build boost. I also have oil showing around the passengers side exhaust manifold. There is no oil in the water or water in the oil. I was thinking of pulling the motor and tearing it down. I am comfortable doing all the work myself (besides the machining), I have done injectors, head gasket replacement, among other things on other 7.3 DI. Anything I should check to narrow it down? The truck runs, it does not have any power, it misses but does not knock of have any strange noises besides the miss. Any help would be great. Thanks

Old 01-13-2010, 05:11 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
ok when you say the temp guage was climbing which one do you mean? water temp or pyro? i assume pryo. how long did it stay elevated? how hot did it get? if you want to find a hole in a piston with out pulling the heads run a compression test. they have testers that go in place of the glow plug hole which is what you will need. don't see it getting that hot though with that H2E with only stage 2's unless your timing is JACKED UP. whos tuning is on the truck?

Old 01-13-2010, 08:27 PM
foxracing0934
Posting Guru
First off, Welcome to FTE!

Secondly I'm with Travis on this one, run a compresion test and go from there.

Old 01-13-2010, 09:32 PM
Oldblue77
New User
Thank you for the welcome! I am ready to help who ever I can! Cale from BTS tuned my truck. Also the water temp gauge was doing the climbing not the pyro gauge. The truck was running great. I had been having problems tripping a check engine light with the HPOP. I have heard of guys having problems atomizing the fuel with a weak HPOP and something about diesel sitting on top of the piston and potentialy burning a hole in them. I'm not sure how true it is just putting it out there. I have a compression gauge that I can use to run a compression test any other ideas why I am pressuizing the crank case? When this happened I was towing a 16000lb trailer. I have towed it for many years. The truck at 45 PSI was making 425HP and 903Ftlbs of torque at the rear wheels on the dyno several times here in Albuquerque and close to the same #'s at the BTS shop a few times. Would a head gasket let the crank case pressurize enough the blow oil out the dipstick tube?OH I have has this thing hot a few times. I'm talking in the 1900* range pre-turbo!

Old 01-13-2010, 10:16 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Oldblue77
Thank you for the welcome! I am ready to help who ever I can! Cale from BTS tuned my truck. Also the water temp gauge was doing the climbing not the pyro gauge. The truck was running great. I had been having problems tripping a check engine light with the HPOP. I have heard of guys having problems atomizing the fuel with a weak HPOP and something about diesel sitting on top of the piston and potentialy burning a hole in them. I'm not sure how true it is just putting it out there. I have a compression gauge that I can use to run a compression test any other ideas why I am pressuizing the crank case? When this happened I was towing a 16000lb trailer. I have towed it for many years. The truck at 45 PSI was making 425HP and 903Ftlbs of torque at the rear wheels on the dyno several times here in Albuquerque and close to the same #'s at the BTS shop a few times. Would a head gasket let the crank case pressurize enough the blow oil out the dipstick tube?OH I have has this thing hot a few times. I'm talking in the 1900* range pre-turbo!
i have had mine 1600*+ quite a few times as well and as we all know as long as you don't stay there very long your fine. only way i see fuel sittin on the piston would be from stacking it. in other words letting it idle for long periods of time under 300* EGT. do the compression test and lets work from there. how high did the water temp get? if your pressurizing the CC enough to blow oil out of the dipstick then i would be looking for a bad cylinder. pull your oil fill off with the truck idling and watch the smoke that is coming out. it should come out smooth NOT puffing and whatnot.

Old 01-14-2010, 06:31 AM
Neal 97 250
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree. Do a compression test and get back with us.
While in there take a real good look at your pushrods, rocker arms and valve springs. Be sure there is not a bent rod or broken spring.

If you have the time an oil sample sent to blackstone laboratories will tell alot too.