Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What code reader to buy for trans?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 12:30 PM
spudlicker
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What code reader to buy for trans?

96 150 5.8 auto 4x4. The OBDII reader that autozone uses is not pulling the codes for my trans. At $100 to get the codes read at a tranny shop, I'm willing to buy a reader. Can one that will do the job be bought for a reasonable price? and specifically which ones should I look for?

Old 01-13-2010, 12:45 PM
andym
Post Fiend
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
The PCM controls both the engine and the transmission so any OBD-II code reader will work. If AZ isn't able to pull the codes then either they aren't doing it right (likely) or there are no transmission codes in the computer.

Old 01-13-2010, 01:14 PM
spudlicker
New User
Well it's possible that they're doing it wrong, three times, three different people, no codes. A tech told me if the light flashes there are codes and many readers are not programed to read trans codes, very likely that the reader at autozone is the problem. Two transmission shops told me the same thing, and that they will get them and diagnose the problem for $100. My thought is that I would rather spend the money on a reader, I just don't know which ones will get it done. Thanks, but I will keep trying.

Old 01-13-2010, 01:17 PM
andym
Post Fiend
I wish I could give you a good recommendation. I bought an OBD-II reader for our car a while back and it was $75. A good one will probably be more. Is the $100 the diagnosis fee or are they just pulling the codes without interpreting them? For $100 it might be worth it to get an expert's opinion. If you trust the shop, that is.

Old 01-13-2010, 01:23 PM
Ohio Ford Farm
Elder User
Originally Posted by andym
The PCM controls both the engine and the transmission so any OBD-II code reader will work. If AZ isn't able to pull the codes then either they aren't doing it right (likely) or there are no transmission codes in the computer.
Looking at the sale add for napa auto parts ( yea I know some people hate napa ) Looking at there scan tools here they do not all read trans codes. And there best one listed does not read ABS codes.

per there add this Store Locator | NAPA Online will read trans codes.

Old 01-13-2010, 02:25 PM
spudlicker
New User
I checked the link to NAPA. the Equus brand readers have a corporate web site with tech support. the tech told me this. The low priced readers do not read transmission or ABS codes. Their better readers that list transmission code capabilities ($350-$500) will read only transmission codes associated with a system also used by the engines PCM. The codes I am likely looking for are in the Transmission Control Module not the main Powertrain Control Module(as if the trans is not part of the powertrain!) in other words, if the transmission OD off light flashes AND it causes the engine light to come on, then the high end reader will pull it. That means you could have a check engine light on and the low priced reader is going to tell you about whatever system is associated with the trans problem, but not tell you the trans code or details.

The reader I need to do that is cost prohibitive. And going to a shop is the best solution.

Old 01-13-2010, 03:17 PM
andym
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by spudlicker
The codes I am likely looking for are in the Transmission Control Module not the main Powertrain Control Module(as if the trans is not part of the powertrain!)
I don't know where you're getting that information from, but it's wrong.

Old 01-13-2010, 05:22 PM
spudlicker
New User
Wow! I only conveyed what was told to me as a courtesy and a resource for anyone interested. As the post said, it came from technical support at Equus, the company that makes the code readers sold at NAPA EQUUS PRODUCTS, INC. their contact info is there, feel free to call them and have it explained. Be sure to tell them they are wrong also.

Old 01-13-2010, 06:22 PM
subford
Fleet Owner
Received 227 Likes on 177 Posts
You do not have a Transmission Control Module, only Diesel trucks have these.
There are no codes stored in the transmission, it has no memory.
The transmission is controlled by the PCM (Powertrain Control Module.).

Old 01-13-2010, 06:37 PM
spudlicker
New User
Thank you, that is constructive info. Unlike "I don't know who.........they are wrong" I will go back to Equus and likely get another technician and get a better answer.

Old 01-13-2010, 06:56 PM
andym
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by spudlicker
Thank you, that is constructive info. Unlike "I don't know who.........they are wrong" I will go back to Equus and likely get another technician and get a better answer.

I told you the same thing. Sorry you didn't like the way I phrased it but you shouldn't be so sensitive.

Old 01-13-2010, 08:12 PM
subford
Fleet Owner
Received 227 Likes on 177 Posts
I have not seen an OBD II or OBD I scanner that does not read the Transmission Codes.

Andy M said that above also.

The lowest cost Equus scanner (3030 CanOBD2) for $103.43 does read all the transmission codes. Just look at its owners manual starting on page 26 and it lists all the transmission codes.

Old 01-13-2010, 10:24 PM
rla2005
Hotshot
Received 1,163 Likes on 918 Posts
I bought a cheap OBD II reader at Walmart for ~$45 USD about 3 years ago. Can't remember the brand, but it reads codes from the PCM for engine, emission and transmission issues. The Equus tech was trying to sell you a line of poo. It always pays to be an informed consumer.

Old 09-27-2016, 12:38 PM
Mike1
Logistics Pro
Received 317 Likes on 287 Posts
I bought a U380 from ebay about 7 or 8 years ago, it has the transmission codes in it also, although a trans code has never popped up on my vehicles, I never bothered to look in the book until just now. It's nice to know, because I always thought I'd have to buy a separate unit also. Also, my sister just had an EVAP code pop on her car, she went to autozone, they told her they no longer read codes, she called me and I went and checked it out then cleared her code....was a loose gas cap...LOL

Old 09-27-2016, 10:44 PM
Wheelman55
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by andym

I told you the same thing. Sorry you didn't like the way I phrased it but you shouldn't be so sensitive.
Andy...your answer was not helpful at all to the OP. I see the sensitivity coming from your end on this one. We are all trying to help each other. This is an awesome forum.

Quick Reply: What code reader to buy for trans?