Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Super Duty & Heavy Duty 1999 to current Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines SPONSORED BY:

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-13-2010, 01:14 PM
Senior User

wedge88 is starting off with a positive reputation.
TBC Fault

My truck was at the dealer for the last week because of coolant leak for the 3rd time. This time they finally proceeded to change head gasket. When I go to pick up the truck it has message stating TBC Fault. I know this is related to trailer brake controller so I go back into dealer and tell my service guy. He tells me it just came on and it is not related to anything they have done. I asked him to document that it was on when they gave it to me and heading home because we had something going on. I called today to talk to Tech and he says it just came on but it was not related to the engine repair they were doing so he couldn't do anything about it. They drove the truck over 100 miles and now this message is on and won't go off. They tell me I can bring it back in but it would be on my dime. Any ideas as to what this could be. If it is a loose wire then I will just take care of it because it is not worth the hassle. When they removed the cab could they have pinched a wire? Looking for any ideas on where to look.

2006 F-250 Superduty Crew Cab, Lariat, FX4

2006 F-150 Screw FX4 150"WB - Sold
Old 01-13-2010, 01:17 PM
2 bit Californian

bpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputation
bill.pounds.1
Most often it is caused by water getting into and corroding the trailer socket in the back. First thing I would do is to just disconnect that harness, and see if the light goes out.

2006 F250 XLT SCLB FX4 4x4 6.0L Auto,Magnaflow Turbo Back (w/CAT),Edge Insight CS,Blue Spring,RhinoLiner,Retrax Cover,Cab Lights Retro-fit,Overhead Console Retro-fit,Bilsteins,Harpooned,C-Betrs,Fumoto,'08 Diff Cover,Upfitters Retro-fit,Coolant Filter,Custom Man Steps,Keystone 2011 Cougar 278RKSWE,2012 Fusion SE
Old 01-13-2010, 01:26 PM

senix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputation
I had that happen on my 06 and it was the entire module that needed replaced. Just pulls out of the mount in the dash and a new one goes in its place.

Not hard to do but you really need to get the code cleared and see if it comes back.

Do as bpounds recommends and make sure

Previous Truck 2008 F250 6.4 with lots of upgrades and a suspension upgrade from Torklift International StableLoads
Old 01-13-2010, 01:47 PM
Senior User

wedge88 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Will try this tonight. Thanks for the information. Anyone know a rough cost on a replacement. The unit has always been finicky with different trailers so I may just buy a new one and see if it works better. If not then I will return it or sell it.

2006 F-250 Superduty Crew Cab, Lariat, FX4

2006 F-150 Screw FX4 150"WB - Sold
Old 01-13-2010, 02:27 PM
2 bit Californian

bpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputation
bill.pounds.1
Check with Ed at y2kford parts. I think your part number is 6C3Z2C006AA. But check with him to be certain. It should be around $220.

2006 F250 XLT SCLB FX4 4x4 6.0L Auto,Magnaflow Turbo Back (w/CAT),Edge Insight CS,Blue Spring,RhinoLiner,Retrax Cover,Cab Lights Retro-fit,Overhead Console Retro-fit,Bilsteins,Harpooned,C-Betrs,Fumoto,'08 Diff Cover,Upfitters Retro-fit,Coolant Filter,Custom Man Steps,Keystone 2011 Cougar 278RKSWE,2012 Fusion SE
Old 01-13-2010, 03:06 PM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

Parts Guy Wyatt has much to be proud ofParts Guy Wyatt has much to be proud ofParts Guy Wyatt has much to be proud ofParts Guy Wyatt has much to be proud ofParts Guy Wyatt has much to be proud ofParts Guy Wyatt has much to be proud ofParts Guy Wyatt has much to be proud ofParts Guy Wyatt has much to be proud ofParts Guy Wyatt has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpounds View Post
Check with Ed at y2kford parts. I think your part number is 6C3Z2C006AA. But check with him to be certain. It should be around $220.

that the in dash module. list price $306.33 sell price check my web site.

if you wanted to add this function you would order 5C3Z19H332BA for diesels. it's a kit with master cly and module.
Old 01-13-2010, 03:37 PM
2 bit Californian

bill.pounds.1
Ed, just for my edification, is the module the same for a diesel or gasser? I know the kit is different, but I assume that's because of the master cylinder. But I have not determined whether the module itself is identical.

Old 01-13-2010, 04:32 PM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

Parts Guy Wyatt has much to be proud ofParts Guy Wyatt has much to be proud ofParts Guy Wyatt has much to be proud ofParts Guy Wyatt has much to be proud ofParts Guy Wyatt has much to be proud ofParts Guy Wyatt has much to be proud ofParts Guy Wyatt has much to be proud ofParts Guy Wyatt has much to be proud ofParts Guy Wyatt has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpounds View Post
Ed, just for my edification, is the module the same for a diesel or gasser? I know the kit is different, but I assume that's because of the master cylinder. But I have not determined whether the module itself is identical.

module is the same.

kits are diff for gas if dual or single rear rear.

and diesel uses another diff one.
Old 01-13-2010, 11:11 PM
New User

Diesel-Fanatic is starting off with a positive reputation.
The dealer said they wouldnt fix it? Ok. Dude, they changed your head gaskets, meaning they had to pull off your entire cab to do so. Also Meaning they disconnected ALL of your electrical components and everything else... It was their fault, and you can get them in BIG TROUBLE for not fixing it. I would love to have been there with you on that one... I would be getting a new TBC before my truck even left the shop... So Call Dearborn Ford in michigan. They are over almost Every ford dealership and will kiss your *** over any problem. Tell them what the dealer said and im SURE whoever the mechanic is will get burned.
Old 03-05-2011, 07:56 AM
New User

engine70 is starting off with a positive reputation.
2006 F350 Powerstroke 6.0-Showing TBC Fault. Original owner says he couldn't get the OEM in the dash TBC to work with his trailer so he added an aftermarket TBC (Prodigy P2). Will this cause the TBC fault and is there any way to permanently clear it?
Old 03-05-2011, 07:56 AM