1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

05 Intergrated Brake Controller question

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 12:21 PM
johnNcarolyn
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 Intergrated Brake Controller question

I've got the IBC on my 2005 F-350 and tow a heavy 5th wheel. I'm not pleased with the controllers performance (or lack thereof) at slow or no speeds. Is it possible to reprogram the controller so that I can lock my trailer brakes while setting still?

If I can't do anything to remedy the current situation I'm going to install a MaxBrake controller. Has anybody put in a MaxBrake to replace the IBC?

John

Old 01-12-2010, 12:59 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 456 Likes on 310 Posts
Hi John,

I see a lot of brake controllers, but so far have not seen one of these installed. Back it olden days, of course, the controllers tied to the master cylinder, so it looks to me like this technology integrates an old and new approach. As I recall, and I do not have a very good recollection here, the shift away from those controllers was due to some type of problem as automotive braking systems advanced. I really can't recall.

From a subjective standpoint, having used several accelerometer controllers and discussed them with factory engineers, I have found them to be seamless in their action with virtual plug and play technology. Of course, you do have to hit the manual slide to lock the wheels while sitting still.

I had a thought to which I don't know the answer. If you stand on the brakes and the truck goes into antilock, where does the antilock interface? By this I mean, if you stand on the brake and the truck brakes are alternately braking and releasing at a high rate of speed, what do the trailer brakes do?

Of course, that may not even be an issue. When the roads get slick I don't tow.

I don't think there is a way to reprogram the IBC, at least I haven't heard of one.

Interesting,

Steve

Old 01-12-2010, 02:21 PM
johnNcarolyn
New User
Steve

I believe the MaxBrake interfaces with the ABS but I don't know how. I think thats why the older systems went away, they couldn't handle ABS.

John

Old 01-12-2010, 02:44 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 456 Likes on 310 Posts
Originally Posted by johnNcarolyn
Steve

I believe the MaxBrake interfaces with the ABS but I don't know how. I think thats why the older systems went away, they couldn't handle ABS.

John
I suspect you are correct. In operation it appears to me like the MaxBrake works on the same principal. The original models I had ran a hydraulic line all the way from the master cylinder to the brake control and I wonder if the electronics in the controller could not keep up with the ABS.

If you install a MaxBrake, drop me a line and tell me what you think of it.

Thanks,

Steve

Old 01-12-2010, 04:01 PM
TexasRebel
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The iTBC pulses the current to the trailer brakes when ABS kicks in so the trailer brakes don't lock and cause the tow vehicle to stop faster than the trailer.

The '05 TBC is the only one with the problem decribed in the OP, but i don't know if it was with the TBC module or the PCM... if it was a problem with the TBC module, just replace it with one from an '06 or later.

As a user of the iTBC in an '08, I know my brakes will lock at a standstill using the slider. The smoothness in operation of the controller while driving makes it really difficult to tell if it is working when your gain is set right, but you can very easily tell if it is NOT working.

Old 01-12-2010, 05:44 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts
Is it possible to reprogram the controller so that I can lock my trailer brakes while setting still?
If you mean - lock your brakes while setting still and just pressing the brake pedal - the answer is no. Even the newer ones won't do that.

If you mean - lock your brakes while setting still and using the manual lever - the answer is yes. The post '05 controllers do that. But I don't know if you need programming, or a new controller module.

There is a post around here somewhere here where a guy complained to NHTSA and he got his fixed. But Ford refused to do a recall or even a TSB. But he proved that it can be done.

I'll see if I can find it, but it was long ago.

Old 01-12-2010, 06:15 PM
rmosso1
Posting Guru
I've got the IBC on my 2005 F-350 and tow a heavy 5th wheel. I'm not pleased with the controllers performance (or lack thereof) at slow or no speeds. Is it possible to reprogram the controller so that I can lock my trailer brakes while setting still?

If I can't do anything to remedy the current situation I'm going to install a MaxBrake controller. Has anybody put in a MaxBrake to replace the IBC?

John
I am the one who pushed the issue far enough to get the problem fixed on my 2005 F-350. At road speeds the brakes work fine. It was several years ago, but try this. If you go over say 20 mph, squeeze the manual brake controller. You will see the brakes work on the trailer.

The problem I had was that you could not lock up the brakes from a dead stop start.

If you need more info, send me a PM (aka private message) and I will send you more details.

Here is the date: Prior to 3/23/05 you have the problem. It was corrected on TBC's after that date.

Ford will not correct. I had the NTSB pay for the repair. I was lucky. Here is the FORD TBS number>18892.

Stay with the TBC, it is the best system. Check you date above, and remember the TBS only works with electric brakes.

Good luck,

P. S. TBC = Trailer Brake Controller; and, TBS is Technical Bulletin Service ( I think )

Old 01-12-2010, 06:18 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
Thanks rmosso. I finally found your old thread, and you beat me back to this thread. But here it is anyway:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/6...ontroller.html

I think this means that a replacement brake controller should correct the problem.

Old 01-12-2010, 06:42 PM
rmosso1
Posting Guru
Bill:

I have a hard copy of "18892" TSB, forgot the acronym, Technical Service Bulletin. Anyway, I went to the TSB's above, F-350, 2005 and 2006 and could not find this item. It has an effective date of 10/19/2005:

HERE is the caption:

18892 2005-2006 F-Super Duty - Normal Output voltage for a manual apply from the Ford Trailer Brake Controller - Service Tip. (about 12 lines follow)

And on your comment, yes, the new controller corrected the problem. I never received any paperwork.

Old 01-12-2010, 06:58 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
Was it a Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) or was it a Service Advisory? I've seen both terms used and I don't think they are the same thing.

Old 01-13-2010, 12:56 AM
flamebuster
Posting Guru
Hey guys can you explain this ITBC? Is it the same as on the 04 model yr.? Due you just plug in your trailer and all set to go? Or do you still need the units say Prodigy pluged in too function the trailer brakes? Kinda lost understanding this.Got lots of freinds asking about the Fords and would like to pass on the facts and benifits of the different years.

Old 01-13-2010, 07:25 AM
CAMPINGTOM
Senior User
2005 was the first year of the integrated brake controller. Mine also does not work below about 10 mph. I tried getting Ford to replace it with the newer one back in 2006, but did not have any luck.

Old 01-13-2010, 07:40 AM
rmosso1
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by bpounds
Was it a Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) or was it a Service Advisory? I've seen both terms used and I don't think they are the same thing.
Definitely TSB. As I said above. "TSB 18892"

Trying to find it is another story. I printed a copy filed with my 2005 papers.

As I recollect, easy to put in a new unit once you figure out what needs to be disconnected. Flat rate was one hour for tech.

To me, I would have paid to have it replaced for peace of mind.

Old 01-13-2010, 08:40 AM
TexasRebel
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by flamebuster
Hey guys can you explain this ITBC? Is it the same as on the 04 model yr.? Due you just plug in your trailer and all set to go? Or do you still need the units say Prodigy pluged in too function the trailer brakes? Kinda lost understanding this.Got lots of freinds asking about the Fords and would like to pass on the facts and benifits of the different years.

the '04 did not have the iTBC, it was original for '05.

They system is used instead of a unit like the prodigy, and is fully integrated with other systems in the vehicle. The iTBC knows how hard you are pressing the brake pedal, the status of the ABS system, which gear you are in, how fast you are going, ...nearly everything.

Old 01-13-2010, 08:47 AM
rmosso1
Posting Guru
I had a 2003 Excursion. NO TBC. I had a PRODIGY installed. The installation fee was crazy, as FORD had a harness under the steering wheel, and it was just a matter of "plug and play". I remember saying to the tech as he was installing something to the effect: "I sure blew a hundred bucks doing that"; and he just laughed.

Quick Reply: 05 Intergrated Brake Controller question