Sponsored by: DP Tuner

GPR LED installed

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 02:49 PM
torquemeister
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GPR LED installed

So I just installed the GPR LED to indicate when the GP's are receiving power.....but I couldn't figure out a good place to mount the LED in my dash. Currently, it's just zip-tied to my brake controller until I figure out a permanent location. I would like to be able to easily see it when I turn the truck on without leaning/stretching to see around the steering wheel.

So......I'm interested in knowing where people installed theirs and if they like it or would rather have it somewhere else. Any feedback is appreciated!

Thanks,
-Chris

Old 01-11-2010, 03:15 PM
Duck Hunter81
Senior User
LED location

Mine will be going just to the right of my 4x4 switch. I already have 2 switches there for my aux grill guard lights so an LED won't look to out of place for me.

I know many others have them up on the pillar for their guages.

Old 01-11-2010, 03:55 PM
Ponyboychris
Hit it!
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have mine mounted in my under the dash gauge pod between two of the gauges. I will snap a pic of it tonight and post up.

Old 01-11-2010, 04:27 PM
DieselCamper01
Fleet Owner
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Mine is lower on my pillar guage cluster. No pictures of it though

Old 01-11-2010, 06:08 PM
sflem849
Posting Guru
Check out the link to the GPR LED mod in my sig. I put a pictutre of my in pod mount as well as one in the dash. I see you don't have gauges (yet???) I would leave it on the brake controller until you get them.

Old 01-11-2010, 06:25 PM
big poppa
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
No pic here either but I got mine right below or above my driving lights on and off switch, right next to my Alarm LED. Drilled out a little hole and placed the LED in there snug, no problem there seeing it..

Old 01-11-2010, 07:05 PM
Tecman
Elder User
Couldnt you just cut the wire that feeds the in dash light and use that instead of wiring up another led?

Old 01-11-2010, 09:37 PM
torquemeister
Tuned
Chris - I like the idea of it being with the dash gauges, how much of a hassle is it to install it there?

Doug - I also like the idea of using the WTS light......anybody know which wire powers the WTS and if it would work?

Old 01-11-2010, 09:51 PM
2cylguy
Senior User

If you were to wire it in to the WTS light wouldn't you be defeating the whole purpose of having the LED which is to show you how long the glow plugs stay on AFTER the WTS light goes out?

Old 01-11-2010, 09:56 PM
big poppa
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Not sure I'm right on this one but splicing it in to the wait to start light would give you what your already getting on the dash, from a cold start that WTS light will only be on for 30 seconds or so, what the PCM commands. By hooking it up to the GPR, your getting a true reading on how long your GPR is actually staying on and using that to your advantage to get those glow plugs hot to warm the cylinder, thats the whole purpose for the LED mod.

Old 01-11-2010, 10:05 PM
CSIPSD
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mine is in the pod, right next to the boost pressure gauge...

I have two more by the left pyro for water injection.

Old 01-11-2010, 10:07 PM
torquemeister
Tuned
I figured Doug was suggesting to use the extra wire from the GPR's output stud through the cab and to the wire that powers the WTS light (not sure if it's 12V or something different), which would then do the same thing as the extra external LED.

I'm thinking I'll either attempt to put it next to the factory gauges as Chris suggested or I'll wait until I decide to add gauges (EGT, trans temp, and one other.....)

-Chris

Old 01-11-2010, 10:11 PM
firedewd
Mountain Pass
Also, the "wait to start" light will come on even if your GPR is dead. This helps in trouble shooting GPR faults with hard starts.

Old 01-11-2010, 10:27 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
For those wishing to use the WTS lamp in the instrument panel as an indicator for the GPR's output, that lamp is activated by a ground out of the PCM on pin 70 of the PCM, a black/pink wire. At least that's for my 2000. Other years might be different pins and colors.

That means that you're going to have to change a switched +12 volts into a switched ground to satisfy the WTS lamp's wire instead of the PCM. A 12-volt relay will do that nicely for you.

Pop

Old 01-11-2010, 10:33 PM
CSIPSD
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SpringerPop
For those wishing to use the WTS lamp in the instrument panel as an indicator for the GPR's output, that lamp is activated by a ground out of the PCM on pin 70 of the PCM, a black/pink wire. At least that's for my 2000. Other years might be different pins mand colors.

That means that you're going to have to change a switched +12 volts into a switched ground to satisfy the WTS lamp's wire instead of the PCM. A 12-volt relay will do that nicely for you.

Pop

I'm just askin... Why would you want to do that, the whole point of the GPR Led is to know when the glow plugs are getting juice, if you put it on the PCM output, all you know is the pcm is asking the gpr to close.