6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Speaker size

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 09:57 AM
AndeyHall
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sammy77
Speaker size is all the same, as far as getting better door speakers, just about anything is better than stock. I've used everything from low to high end speakers. Its worth the $$$ for stuff like Alpine or Pioneer, you're just never gonna get that pounding bass you may be lookin for without subs.
Ok, well how about this? I was looking at a set of kenwood component speakers, and they have a set that is a 6x8, but the actual sub part of the speaker is 6in and the rest of the space is the tweeter. What would be the difference to get that over a regular 6x8 with a separate tweeter as far as sound quality goes?

Old 11-19-2010, 10:53 AM
sammy77
Postmaster
Originally Posted by AndeyHall
Ok, well how about this? I was looking at a set of kenwood component speakers, and they have a set that is a 6x8, but the actual sub part of the speaker is 6in and the rest of the space is the tweeter. What would be the difference to get that over a regular 6x8 with a separate tweeter as far as sound quality goes?

I have seen those types of speakers, but have no experience with them. I think you may be happier with subs. I went with this.
Ford F-250/F-350 Crew Cab 99-07 BTS Dual Subwoofer Box - Subwoofer Box | Subwoofer Enclosures | Car Subwoofer Boxes and Truck Subwoofer Boxes at SuperCrewSound

Old 11-19-2010, 11:10 AM
AndeyHall
Posting Guru
I have seen those types of speakers, but have no experience with them. I think you may be happier with subs. I went with this.
Ford F-250/F-350 Crew Cab 99-07 BTS Dual Subwoofer Box - Subwoofer Box | Subwoofer Enclosures | Car Subwoofer Boxes and Truck Subwoofer Boxes at SuperCrewSound
Ok. I'll have to find somewhere else to store my crap behind the seats. Does that go on the passenger or driver side? Also, who makes a good set of shallow subs?

Old 11-19-2010, 11:22 AM
AndeyHall
Posting Guru
Ok, got to looking on Kenwood's website. I really like their stuff and know they have a good quality name (it's not like I'm doing competition stuff either). I'm looking at these speakers:
Kenwood - KFC-X683C

and this sub:
Kenwood - KFC-W2512

What would you recommend for an amp? If you see one on Kenwood's website that would work pretty good, I'd like to keep everything "in the family".

Old 11-19-2010, 12:10 PM
hangon2me
Senior User
Ok, got to looking on Kenwood's website. I really like their stuff and know they have a good quality name (it's not like I'm doing competition stuff either). I'm looking at these speakers:
Kenwood - KFC-X683C

and this sub:
Kenwood - KFC-W2512

What would you recommend for an amp? If you see one on Kenwood's website that would work pretty good, I'd like to keep everything "in the family".
Andey,
I only went with (1) 12" Rockford Fosgate Punch shallow mount, installed it behind the left back seat. Fosgate is the best Bang for the buck...Kenwood also makes them. 2-12" in a non-ported box does not perform anywhere (1) Fosgate Punch.

Go to a custom stereo shop and have them build one for you, I tried several boxes (single non-ported, dual non-ported) and this is a winning combination.

Do not use any boxes that are not ported...Folded horn design is the best.
Mine ports at the bottom of the box directing the bass towards the empty void behind the right side rear seat.

Non ported boxes cause distortion and become annoying, not enough room to disperse the sound waves.

I am running an old MTX 220 watt 2-channel amp bridged, the sound I get is extremely loud and crisp bass.Fosgates speakers are so efficient you do not need much power to drive them.

Save your money and do not change your factory speakers, instead install some tweeters.

Old 11-19-2010, 12:27 PM
sammy77
Postmaster
Ok. I'll have to find somewhere else to store my crap behind the seats. Does that go on the passenger or driver side? Also, who makes a good set of shallow subs?

This setup goes right behind the left side rear seat section and its amazingly a perfect fit. You have to cut off some of the trim thats back there, but thats it. I even left my vent in. I used Pioneer subs, they sound great. There are many others out there as well. This is the nicest and cleanest setup I've seen for our trucks.

Old 11-19-2010, 12:39 PM
sammy77
Postmaster
Originally Posted by hangon2me
Andey,
I only went with (1) 12" Rockford Fosgate Punch shallow mount, installed it behind the left back seat. Fosgate is the best Bang for the buck...Kenwood also makes them. 2-12" in a non-ported box does not perform anywhere (1) Fosgate Punch.

Go to a custom stereo shop and have them build one for you, I tried several boxes (single non-ported, dual non-ported) and this is a winning combination.

Do not use any boxes that are not ported...Folded horn design is the best.
Mine ports at the bottom of the box directing the bass towards the empty void behind the right side rear seat.

Non ported boxes cause distortion and become annoying, not enough room to disperse the sound waves.

I am running an old MTX 220 watt 2-channel amp bridged, the sound I get is extremely loud and crisp bass.Fosgates speakers are so efficient you do not need much power to drive them.

Save your money and do not change your factory speakers, instead install some tweeters.
First off, the factory speakers are junk in our SD's. They leave little to be desired, and you'd blow them up with any kind of aftermarket head unit. Distortion can always be tuned away easily. If you're gonna tune things way up, drop the back seat down.

Old 11-19-2010, 02:47 PM
AndeyHall
Posting Guru
First off, the factory speakers are junk in our SD's. They leave little to be desired, and you'd blow them up with any kind of aftermarket head unit. Distortion can always be tuned away easily. If you're gonna tune things way up, drop the back seat down.
I'm planning on getting a Kenwood DNX9960 head unit, but that's going to be a while (I got tires, wheels, and a few other exterior mods I want to do first). So what I'll probably do is get a line-out converter so that I can run an amp and whatever speakers and subs off of the factory radio for a while. Then when I get the money later I can remove that and hook everything up to the new head unit.
So I think I'm going to start out with this sub:
Rockford Fosgate® - P3SD412

And then move on to these speakers (along with some tweeters probably):
Pioneer USA - TS-D6802R - 6" x 8" 2-Way Speaker with 260 Watts Max. Power

But does anybody have a specific amp they would recommend? I just have no idea what I'm looking for there.

But I've got a friend who said that he's got a RF shallow sub in a tiny box under his seat, and our local stereo shop (who is very reputable) told him that rather than porting the box, it's cheaper to use that polyfill stuff and it works just as well if not better than porting.

Old 11-19-2010, 05:56 PM
texans
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I personaly don't care for ported boxes. Never have. As far as amps goes just depends on what you want to spend. I would go with a JL 250/1 sub amp my self. They put out a lot of power, and I hang around stereo shops a lot (interned some in high school) and have yet to hear about one burning up. It's a real strong amp.

Old 11-20-2010, 09:10 AM
AndeyHall
Posting Guru
What is the vent that it's talking about has to be removed?
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Old 11-20-2010, 09:14 AM
AndeyHall
Posting Guru
I've narrowed my sub choices down to these two...which would you go with and why?
Rockford Fosgate® - P3SD410
Rockford Fosgate® - P3SD210

Old 11-20-2010, 09:43 AM
texans
Postmaster
What is the vent that it's talking about has to be removed?
<INPUT id=gwProxy type=hidden><!--Session data--><INPUT id=jsProxy onclick=jsCall(); type=hidden>
that would be the cab vent. There are two in back of the cab. Look between the bed and cab you will see them on the back of the cab there

Old 11-20-2010, 09:46 AM
AndeyHall
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by texans
that would be the cab vent. There are two in back of the cab. Look between the bed and cab you will see them on the back of the cab there
Ok thanks. Do you have any suggestions between those two subs I listed?
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Old 11-20-2010, 12:03 PM
texans
Postmaster
If were going to use one of those two, I would go with the 210 due to the lower ohm rating. You will get more low end out of 2ohms then the 4 ohms. Of course depending on how its wired you could get the 4 ohms down to 2. I would go with the 2 ohm though. Me personaly I don't really care for fosgate subs. I really love JL though. You could go with there 13" shallow mount that has a mounting depth of 2.54" JL Audio 13TW5 Subwoofers - Car Audio Subwoofers
and this amp JL Audio 500/1v2 Amplifiers - Car Audio Amps & Amplifiers
Just depends on your budget, but i'm a huge JL fan. You just can't beat there quaility.

Old 11-14-2016, 08:42 PM
MTLford
New User
Need to confirm speakers size

Hey guys , new to this forum stuff . Wondering if there's any difference in between f350 01 to 05 .might be buying a newer f350 and wondering if all my Kenwood stuff will just transfer over with problems including size and wire connection . I bought my 01 done already but definitely like the way it is

Thx in advance