1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

Headliner pattern

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 10:17 PM
RocketMonkey28
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Headliner pattern

I'm looking for a headliner pattern. I did a search, and saw that gangstakr had patterns. I was hoping they are still available, I'd like to buy the patterns to make a set for my truck. And I was hoping for some tips on materials, etc. What's a good material to make them from, and has anyone covered them in vinyl or any other material? Has anyone ever make a metal set and painted them? Thanks guys!

Old 01-11-2010, 11:24 AM
daveengelson
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Seem to recall Eastwood carried the large sheets of headliner material but the cost of shipping can get expensive. If decide to go that route may wait for occasion where they offer free shipping.

Topic came up not too long ago and member posted link for aftermarket replacements. Not familiar with the quality, checked it out and seems the website does not offer pics, imagine company would fax, or email something. Anyhow, the cost of aftermarket may be a bit more but possibly hold up better than the cardboard. I will have to check into it when it comes time to install a headliner in the 65 and only consider if there's no additional material or work required. . Perhaps member familair with product will chime in.

RodDoors Custom Car Interior Systems & Componets

Old 03-26-2011, 11:24 PM
IdahoAutoNut
New User
RocketMonkey were you able to get that 61-66 F100 pattern? I am looking for one too...even dimensions would be helpful. Thanks!

Old 03-27-2011, 12:28 AM
gangstakr
Logistics Pro
Received 55 Likes on 33 Posts
I had made up a dozen full size patterns complete with demensions, cut outs for the clips and areas where holes were. At the time I only wanted the cost of printing and the cost for shipping. (tube to ship in and exact postage) It seemed that was to much for the people who wanted them. Most people wanted them for free, and expected me to ship it for free. Needless to say I don't have any patterns for sale or for free. What started out as a good idea turned south after about the third inquiry. Sorry to say I won't do that again.

Old 03-27-2011, 01:36 AM
Jetcopterpilot
Posting Guru
I priced out Cloth headliners at a couple of local upholstery shops, installed was around $300-$400,, if you buy a kit for $200, and then add the over size shipping fees which can get as high as $50...well that $300-$400 installed for a cloth headliner is a bargain. How much is 3 or 4 hours of your labor worth? Cloth headliner won't break when you try to bend them! Just food for thought!

Old 03-27-2011, 08:26 AM
civiltech
New User
Don't know if you are interested or not, but I just replaced my headliner in my 65 F100 and kept the shipping box (huge flat box) and put the old headliner pieces in it. I was planning on taking it to a swap meet sometime (along with some of the other salvageable pieces from my restoration) and sell them. Just for a reference, it cost me $100 for shipping alone when I ordered it through Macs. They did have a promo going of free shipping, but the disclaimer excluded any item that was oversized. Contact me at civiltech@mho.com if you are interested.

Old 03-27-2011, 09:15 AM
likeagoodbook
Senior User
Been looking for the same thing for a while now, since it looks like they made these things out of pegboard or Masonite, seems like it would be easy to make it into a home / shop project and there would be plenty of material options, if someone has one and is near Atlanta I'd be glad to make a pattern, get it digitally scanned so we'd have it in electronic format, then it could be emailed and the pattern printed (to the proper scale) at your local blueprinting shop for just a couple of bucks.

Old 03-27-2011, 11:05 AM
oldfordcoupe
More Turbo
most of the fabric shop i'v talked to use plastic backing for head liners so i found advance plastic in memfro .a 4x8 sheet was around 35.00. i'm going to use my old headliner for a patteren soon i hope. just have to see how it comes out

Old 04-16-2011, 11:48 PM
mulebarn
New User
I bought a four piece headliner kit and broke three of the pieces right at the beginning. I then went to my local trim shop and bought a 4x8 sheeet of black abs material about 1/16 in. thick. I used my broken pieces as a pattern and used some electric metal shears to trim it out. I cut the abs back about 1/8 in all the way around to allow for the material I was going to cover it with. I took the pieces to my interior guy and had him cover them. Installed them pretty much like the original pieces were going to be installed. It looks great and matches my door panels and my seat. I've still got the patterns and would be glad to make some of these for anyone who might be interested. The problem is the shipping cost. I bought my headliner from Ford Obsolete locally and did not have to pay shipping. Mac's wante the same amount for the kit and then wanted about $140.00 to ship it. The abs will not break. Footnote: Does anyone out there have any suggestion as to what type of material would make a good durable pattern that could be folded and placed into a large envelope for mailing? I would be more than happy to trace out a pattern from my headliner pieces and mail them to anypne who would like one, as long as they are willing to pay the postage. Aint got nothin free, but I will give it to you as cheap as I can.

Last edited by mulebarn; 04-16-2011 at 11:55 PM. Reason: added information
Old 04-17-2011, 12:11 AM
CropDusterMan
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There has to be a way to create a drawing that is easy to transmit via email that can be scaled up...if the
drawing was done on a grid with x and y measurements...or broken down page by page to form a full mock-up...
sure, one could do it in a complicated program, but not everyone has these.

Old 04-17-2011, 10:54 PM
airharley
Postmaster
With that idea, you could take a picture from one of the catalogs and then blow it up to the 8 x 11 size. You have the place it is going in so all you have to do is measure it a few times make a cardboard template and go from there. It is a matter of figuring out the scale and then converting to your measurements. Just a thought.

Old 04-18-2011, 06:20 AM
likeagoodbook
Senior User
It would be tough to blow up the 8 1/2" x 11" catalog version, probably easier to just make a custom pattern off your truck by the time you try and work the patterns, grid and scale out accurately.

The best option would be to make a pattern of an original or repro onto paper and take it to your local blueprinting shop and let them scan it in "pdf" format so anyone could open with Adobe Acrobat, the paper size can be made part of the "pdf" and easily emailed and printed by any other blueprint shop or large format printer and maintaining the proper scale.

I deal with a lot of blueprints everyday and that's how the design community gets electronic plans to contractors that stay in the proper scale. The cost to print would be minimal, most shops have a $7.50 minimum charge but even if it was on two pages it wouldn't cost more than $20.00 to print on 20# white bond paper. If I ever get my hands on a pattern I'll make it happen...

Old 04-18-2011, 11:34 AM
OldHarley
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sad part is that even the BEST installation ends looking like garbage, since the original design was cheap and dirty (apologies to TBM3fan, his was the best original install I have seen, but even he said he got fingerprints on the white part at the rear that he had to go back and clean up).

From what I've read it is really a two-man job and if you do not prep the pieces with an ammonia solution they will not flex, but will break.

Also the holes punched in the material assist in alignment somewhat, so if you substitute another material, it is a little harder to do correctly.

Until I see a better solution*, I will not have a headliner. BTW the 'speed lines' in the inside cab sides look better than the headliner. I am now just waiting to see a upper headliner only product that would work as a one-piece replacement.

edit: * or until gangstakr starts giving away free headliner patterns again

Old 04-18-2011, 07:16 PM
gangstakr
Logistics Pro
Received 55 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by OldHarley
Sad part is that even the BEST installation ends looking like garbage, since the original design was cheap and dirty (apologies to TBM45, his was the best original install I have seen, but even he said he got fingerprints on the white part at the rear that he had to go back and clean up).

From what I've read it is really a two-man job and if you do not prep the pieces with an ammonia solution they will not flex, but will break.

Also the holes punched in the material assist in alignment somewhat, so if you substitute another material, it is a little harder to do correctly.

Until I see a better solution*, I will not have a headliner. BTW the 'speed lines' in the inside cab sides look better than the headliner. I am now just waiting to see a upper headliner only product that would work as a one-piece replacement.

edit: * or until gangstakr starts giving away free headliner patterns again
For you Old Harley, it's free. you just have to come and pick it up. You know the area, let me know when your in town. I'll even gift wrap it for ya.

Old 04-18-2011, 09:00 PM
first today
Postmaster

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My uncle made a hanging headliner in his 65. He used the white perforated material and made his own hanging bows. I think there were three or four bows. I do not have any pictures, but it looks really nice.

Quick Reply: Headliner pattern