Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

electric fuel pump

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 07:53 AM
dyoungen
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
electric fuel pump

After going thru 2 electric fuel pumps in 2 weeks, what kind of fuel pumps do you guys put on your trucks that last? I have tried the "Mr Gasket universal Diesel fuel pump" and they don't last. Even the salesman didn't have much faith in the pumps.

Old 01-10-2010, 09:08 AM
kenpobuck
Cargo Master
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I am still running the intake high pressure pump that was in my tank. If you could find one for a gasser that was efi that would fit your tank I would get it. you would have to get a bypass pressure regulator with return port (about $80 from summit). I have mine on a keyed switch with the shut off soleniod run through a relay. that way if the key is on it is pumping fuel and will help keep the soleniod cool in the ip. The factory pumps run forever in the gassers and gas has no lube to it at all.

Old 01-10-2010, 09:44 AM
FL-Mudd-Duck
Senior User
i use a carter rotory vain pump i think it is a 4070 or something like that

Old 01-10-2010, 09:50 AM
wreckinball
Postmaster
i need to get in there and see just what mine is and how it is set up because it works like a charm. It sounds like it my fuel pump on my bronco i used to have.

Old 01-10-2010, 10:44 AM
kenpobuck
Cargo Master
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Then it sounds just like mine lol. I switched mine out to the high pressure pump when I got this truck and did away with the low intank and high pressure frame unit as well as the resivior for the frame pump. It was way to much plumbing going on under there that way.

Old 01-10-2010, 12:28 PM
yotee
Senior User
Originally Posted by FL-Mudd-Duck
i use a carter rotory vain pump i think it is a 4070 or something like that
x2 .

Old 01-10-2010, 01:43 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by dyoungen
After going thru 2 electric fuel pumps in 2 weeks, what kind of fuel pumps do you guys put on your trucks that last? I have tried the "Mr Gasket universal Diesel fuel pump" and they don't last. Even the salesman didn't have much faith in the pumps.
hmmm.when i asked about these pumps,i got a much better result finding than this.so a few questions.

1.where did you place the pump exactly?
2.was the pump,the green one #12D?
3.did you use the stock filter? bypass it,or use a larger filter?
4.how did you power and ground it?
5.did you ever run out of fuel?
thanks.

Old 01-10-2010, 01:56 PM
dyoung14
Posting Guru
im going to convert to electric pump some time as my factory lift pump i beilieve just cant keep up when i pass 4000 rpm, and im going to use the factory pump for oil return for my turbo

Old 01-10-2010, 02:58 PM
JHoffman93
Senior User
Name:  100_4775.jpg
Views: 4407
Size:  149.3 KB

Name:  100_4772.jpg
Views: 2628
Size:  144.4 KBHere are some pictures of my set up.

Old 01-10-2010, 08:27 PM
ford trans tech
Elder User
on a rotary pump never place a filter inline before the pump only after the pump
when the filter becomes slightly restricted it will cause the pump to cavitate and
fail prematurely

Old 01-10-2010, 08:38 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by ford trans tech
on a rotary pump never place a filter inline before the pump only after the pump
when the filter becomes slightly restricted it will cause the pump to cavitate and
fail prematurely
what about the crap that is allowed through the pump?
no filter = no pump protection. i think its best to just make sure you change the filter on a regular basis myself before this becomes a problem.
id rather replace a filter than a pump.
besides this though,no filter pre pump = no warranty either.

Old 01-10-2010, 08:45 PM
ford trans tech
Elder User
if you have enough crap in the tank that it needs a filter before the pump you have far more issues , and as i stated there is a reason there is no filter before the pump and anything that can make it past the intank screen will pass through the pump
and those rotary pumps when they start cavitating they shed fine metal particles that the filter on the engine cannot trap , so you risk damaging the injector pump
ford doesnt install filters before the pump for this reason

Old 01-10-2010, 09:11 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
well,im not sure i agree with no fuel filter pre pump.but to each their own i guess.

for the pump in question.it comes with a filter,that screws into the housing.so unless he modified it,its likely he used it as is:

you can bypass it easy enough.they had the part i wanted at auto zone.screwed into it,but with a standard hose fitting on the other end.
i did it so i could put a larger filter here.the thing is so small,i was worried about it clogging up fast......a good possibility here.
rather than no filter,i went with a large one that wont become restrictive before i change it every other oil change.

Old 01-10-2010, 09:55 PM
nappy nate
Senior User
I have an E8012S from autozone that I have 20k miles on without a problem so far. 5-9 psi, comes with a screw on filter for the intake side. nate

Old 01-11-2010, 10:54 AM
dyoungen
Posting Guru
The green pump shown above is the pump I used, both times. The first time the pump just wouldn't pump so I returned it for a replacement. Put the second pump on and after driving about 25 miles shut off the truck. The next morning, nothing. I pulled off the pump and wired it direct to the battery. After letting it set for a couple of minuets I tried it again and it worked ok. I have a Holley red fuel pump sitting on the shelf so I decided to try that one. It seems to be working fine, so far. I've used the green Mr Gasket micro fuel pump #120 before with no trouble and have one right now on a Diesel VW Jetta. It's been on the Jetta for a few months with no problems. I wonder if the cold has anything to do with the pump not working. Then again if that was the case the pump on the VW wouldn't work either.

1.where did you place the pump exactly? The pump is within 6" of the FSV towards the IP
2.was the pump,the green one #12D? Yes
3.did you use the stock filter? bypass it,or use a larger filter? Yes and no. Tried it both ways, with and without a filter.
4.how did you power and ground it? Powered it thru a relay for running it but direct wired it to check for power.
5.did you ever run out of fuel? No, both tanks full.

Quick Reply: electric fuel pump