Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Rotor/Pad Combo, Good Deal or Cheap Junk??

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 10:30 AM
KMUL
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Brake Rotor/Pad Combo, Good Deal or Cheap Junk??

All four of my rotors are extremely warped, time to replace I'm thinking.

Need some expert advice...
So I am checking out these rotor/pad combo deals at Summit Racing, anyone have any experience with Summit brand products? Are they good quality? I understand it's important for the rotors to be thick enough to dissapate heat, but if they are slotted and cross drilled do they have to be as thick? Napa had all four rotors (not slotted or drilled) and pads for about $500, but I don't remember the brand, so these prices from Summit seem like a good deal.

Front Kit: $259, Brake Rotors/Ceramic Pads, Slotted/Dimpled Surface
Summit Racing SUM-KAR8580PS - Summit Racing® Ultimate Performance Brake Rotor and Pad Combos - Overview - SummitRacing.com

Rear Kit: $309, Brake Rotors/Pads, Cross-Drilled, Slotted, Cryogenic, Iron, Zinc
Power Stop 8571XPR-KT - Cragar Cryogenic Performance Brake Rotors and Evolution Pads - Overview - SummitRacing.com

Thoughts???

Old 01-09-2010, 11:35 AM
scottman70
Posting Guru
I along with many others here at FTE run the Powerslot Cryo treated rotors with

excellent results! I use these rotors with the Hawk pads on the front and I tow a

lot of weight and have stood on the brakes hard with no problems at all! I am

sold on those rotors and pads and actually bought those based on others

experience here at FTE. My rear rotors and pads are still the stock ones though.

Old 01-09-2010, 12:26 PM
X-Hibition
Elder User
I went with the Cragar Cryos and Hawk pads on all four corners, I now have confidence when I hit the brakes.

Mine weren't warped as much as they were all horribly rusted and chunks had fallen out giving me a real warm fuzzy for the stock rotors. The new ones sure look great too with the silver zinc-dichromate finish on all surfaces. No rust.

Spend the money and do it right, it is the brakes after all.

Old 01-09-2010, 12:27 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Cryo treated Powerslot rotors and Hawk LTS pads. They are a proven combination on a lot of SuperDuty rigs, including my Excursion and F250.

I'm sure there are other rotor and pad combo's that may work, but the cryo treated rotors (ART or Powerslot) seem to always be a homerun.

Stay away from cross-drilled rotors.

Stewart

Old 01-09-2010, 12:44 PM
gr8scott72
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by scottman70
. My rear rotors and pads are still the stock ones though.
The rear stock pads are ok for towing up to about 12k lbs. (In hot Mississippi summer that is.) After that, in stop and go traffic, they will start smoking.

I have stock rotors in the back but Hawk SuperDuty pads. I can stop with confidence over and over again even on the hottest of hot days in stop and go traffic.

I got the Powerslot slotted rotors up front but didn't get the cryo treated. Didn't do enough reading before I bought them but they have done just fine. Hawk SuperDuty pads up front too.

Old 01-09-2010, 02:47 PM
bigdog55
Senior User

What suggestions do y'all have as the best place to get the Power slots and hawk pads. Are the heavy duty ones better than the ceramics. I'm towing around 8800# of travel trailer over all kinds of terrain. I just had a real problem with vibration and was going to have them replaced in San Diego when down there for Christmas,but the guy said that they just needed to be re-surfaced and they haven't given me any problems since.

Old 01-09-2010, 09:08 PM
ke6zmy
Senior User
I would like to ad my 2 cents to the kitty.

I had the so called "warping" issues. I tried having them machined. Oh, there is a long story that I will not get into here. Let me say that after a lot of effort and homework I went with drilled/slotted rotors. My drilled holes are chamfered which, supposedly, reduces the risk of cracking.

I have had such problems with the OEM solid and the drilled/slotted solved the problems.

I have since heard that the slotted rotors use up the pads faster so in the future, if I need to, I will only get drilled.

Drilled rotors do work better in water. In fact, compared to solid, they work.

Drilled are, definately, the way to go.

Old 01-09-2010, 09:59 PM
Husky44
Senior User
Originally Posted by KMUL
All four of my rotors are extremely warped, time to replace I'm thinking.

Need some expert advice...
So I am checking out these rotor/pad combo deals at Summit Racing, anyone have any experience with Summit brand products? Are they good quality? I understand it's important for the rotors to be thick enough to dissapate heat, but if they are slotted and cross drilled do they have to be as thick? Napa had all four rotors (not slotted or drilled) and pads for about $500, but I don't remember the brand, so these prices from Summit seem like a good deal.

Front Kit: $259, Brake Rotors/Ceramic Pads, Slotted/Dimpled Surface
Summit Racing SUM-KAR8580PS - Summit Racing® Ultimate Performance Brake Rotor and Pad Combos - Overview - SummitRacing.com

Rear Kit: $309, Brake Rotors/Pads, Cross-Drilled, Slotted, Cryogenic, Iron, Zinc
Power Stop 8571XPR-KT - Cragar Cryogenic Performance Brake Rotors and Evolution Pads - Overview - SummitRacing.com

Thoughts???
I am a big fan of Summit, but I don't know anything about their branded stuff, so I can't comment on these. What kind of warranty do they offer? You might call them and ask--they may be able to tell you who makes them.

I decided against the ceramics after doing a bunch of reading, and went with the Hawk LTS pads, but honestly I can't remember my reasoning. It made sense at the time, though...

Old 01-09-2010, 10:13 PM
ke6zmy
Senior User
You may want to consider this company......

Unless you find what you need from a supporter of this forum.

Brake Performance - Slotted and Drilled Brake Rotors

Old 01-10-2010, 01:16 PM
katiesdad7
Elder User
Originally Posted by scottman70
I along with many others here at FTE run the Powerslot Cryo treated rotors with

excellent results! I use these rotors with the Hawk pads on the front and I tow a

lot of weight and have stood on the brakes hard with no problems at all! I am

sold on those rotors and pads and actually bought those based on others

experience here at FTE. My rear rotors and pads are still the stock ones though.
I have the same set up and couldn't agree more.