1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A Ford Representative joining us

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 07:00 AM
spinella
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by F350-6
Can you give us a hint on the time Adrain? Is he just going to hunt around for various 2011 topics (as in threads we should start this weekend to give him plenty of things to answer), or will you be starting a 2011 Ford thread to give us a starting point to post questions?

i think thats a great idea. have members post questions for only the rep to answer. maybe put the word "rep" in the subject line before whatever subject you want to ask about. something like REP DPF CLEANING.it would be good if nobody replies to the questions, just the rep.

Old 01-09-2010, 08:14 AM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Nice. I want to be able to pull a heavy trailer with the tow/haul active and O/D disabled! I hate slipping into O/D every time I go down hill, then scream up the hill in 3rd/4th!

Is it true that we will have the ability to select a gear with a button?

Old 01-09-2010, 09:33 AM
powerstroke72
Super Moderator
Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by redford
I thought I read the new 2011 diesel (is it still a Power Stroke?) will not have a DPF system.
Still a Powerstroke diesel. It will still have the DPF but will also use urea. I'll have to find the link but I did read that the DPF regens would be fewer with the urea...but it will still have a DPF.

Originally Posted by senix
It still has one and will still require cleaning, though I would think maybe not to the degree we have now...just my thoughts. I think they are able to scale back the EGR a bit with the urea.

I could be way off base on that though.
Exactly Scott. I'll try to find the article I had saved on the urea injection.

Originally Posted by spinella
i think thats a great idea. have members post questions for only the rep to answer. maybe put the word "rep" in the subject line before whatever subject you want to ask about. something like REP DPF CLEANING.it would be good if nobody replies to the questions, just the rep.
Excellent idea! If we could keep the replies to the questions coming from just the Ford rep, it would be great.

Originally Posted by ruschejj
Nice. I want to be able to pull a heavy trailer with the tow/haul active and O/D disabled! I hate slipping into O/D every time I go down hill, then scream up the hill in 3rd/4th!

Is it true that we will have the ability to select a gear with a button?
Yup, the new 6 speed will have manual mode for gear selection and the ability to lock out gears such as the top one, two, or three IIRC. So essentially from what Ford has said, you'd be able to lock out 5th and 6th gear or 4th, 5th, and 6th, etc.

From the 2011 Ford Super Duty press kit:

New transmission harnesses the increased power

Ford’s new 6R140 heavy-duty TorqShift™ six-speed transmission was developed specifically to manage the increased torque produced by the new Power Stroke diesel engine. Its components are largely shared with the gasoline engine as well, helping improve the overall efficiency of that powerplant. By design, the new 6R140 transmission seamlessly delivers the enormous low-rpm torque produced by the new diesel engine and efficiently manages the higher rpm of the new gasoline engine.

The 6R140 six-speed automatic transmission balances customer desire for convenience during routine operation while also allowing for complete manual control. Ford’s SelectShift Automatic™ transmission functionality features two benefits of particular use to Super Duty customers.

One is Progressive Range Select. With this feature, a toggle on the shift lever allows the customer to reduce the range of available gears while in Drive. When the customer “taps” down into Range Select mode, the display shows the available gears and highlights the current gear state. This feature will allow the customer to limit use of upper gears when heavily loaded or while towing on grades.

For full manual function, customers also can pull the shift lever into “M” for manual mode and use the same toggle switch to select the gear desired. The display will show the selected gear and the control system will lock the torque converter and hold that gear for a full manual transmission feel.

Finally, segment-exclusive Live Drive Power Take Off (PTO) is enabled by the new transmission. On 2011 Super Duty diesels with the PTO prep option, the PTO output gear is linked through the torque converter to the engine crankshaft and is available any time the engine is running. This allows the transmission to power auxiliary equipment to run devices such as snowplows, aerial lifts, tow truck lifts, cement mixers or dump trucks with maximum flexibility. Pioneered on agricultural applications, the Live Drive feature is particularly useful when mobile PTO function is required during start-stop operations, such as salt spreading, snow plowing or cement pouring.

Source: Product Press Info | Ford Motor Company Newsroom

Sounds really promising to me.

On EDIT: I just dug this article back up from pickuptrucks.com detailing the new 6 speed auto. Pretty good information:

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2009/12...nsmission.html

Also, here is a good article about the new Super Duty including a video of it running and towing along with some interior shots, etc.

http://www.worldcarfans.com/10910022...owers-in/page2

Old 01-09-2010, 09:55 AM
LaredoF350
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by IB Adrian
A gentleman who is an engineer for Ford, Adam Gryglak, will be joining the site on Monday to answer some questions some of you may have about 2011 SuperDuty.

Please make him feel welcome.
Adrian
So the purpose is just to answer questions about the 2011? I can see most of the members are way off base then in their replies as some are wanting to suggest changes, and others are wondering about things on their 6.4 engines.

Old 01-09-2010, 09:58 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,406 Likes on 1,002 Posts
well I think most things we are encoutering with the new emissions still applies to the 6.7...and more.

Old 01-09-2010, 10:06 AM
spinella
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by LaredoF350
So the purpose is just to answer questions about the 2011? I can see most of the members are way off base then in their replies as some are wanting to suggest changes, and others are wondering about things on their 6.4 engines.
i think answering questions about the 2011 is enough for one guy.

Old 01-09-2010, 12:02 PM
BigF350
Hotshot
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by F350-6
Can you give us a hint on the time Adrain? Is he just going to hunt around for various 2011 topics (as in threads we should start this weekend to give him plenty of things to answer), or will you be starting a 2011 Ford thread to give us a starting point to post questions?
He will join up on Monday and will be checking in on a regular basis to answer questions.
Originally Posted by LaredoF350
He will be here to answer questions about the 2011.
That said, I am sure suggestions for future product development will be noted (the suggestion about the DPF with manually selectable cleaning for example is a good one ), but I am sure if you have a question about how to fit a 302 into your 53 pickup or you wanted to tell him what a POS your 04 6.0l with 300,000 miles is, it will be summarily placed in the "suggestions box" (i.e. the trash )

Old 01-09-2010, 12:04 PM
suzuki0702
Elder User
Originally Posted by Furian
Excellent! Maybe we can get a definitive answer on how to properly flush the ATF in a Torqshift transmission...

pretty sure id listen to mark kovalsky on that one. no offense to adam, but hes probably just a PR officer.....not an engineer

Old 01-09-2010, 12:48 PM
Furian
You Keep What You Kill
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by suzuki0702
pretty sure id listen to mark kovalsky on that one. no offense to adam, but hes probably just a PR officer.....not an engineer
I've already asked Mark this question and he stated that he did not know the procedure... maybe I should re-phrase my question to apply to the new 6-speed Torqshift transmission.

Old 01-09-2010, 01:29 PM
dsirekis
Senior User
i know hes here for the11 but do you think he might be able to answer ques on 6.0

Old 01-09-2010, 01:35 PM
FX4 5.4
Senior User
My question would be if there are any different grille styles because the one I'm seeing makes me want to stick with my 05 for a long time.

Old 01-09-2010, 10:04 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,571 Likes on 1,049 Posts
Originally Posted by suzuki0702
I know Adam Gryglak. He is an engineer, and a good one. But he isn't transmission engineer. I'm sure he could contact the people in the transmission division to get the right answers.

Old 01-10-2010, 03:22 AM
svt2205
Posting Guru
I know this is posted in the SD section and I don't believe I saw anything like this over in the new F150 section. Will Adam be stopping by and focusing solely on questions/comments from folks in this section or would he also be doing the same for F150 owners?

Let's hope he enjoys communicating with the good folks here and decides to become a frequent visitor.

Welcome Adam. (I know he wont be here until Monday)

Old 01-10-2010, 07:11 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,219 Likes on 802 Posts
subscribing

Tim

Old 01-10-2010, 07:22 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,406 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Don't think I have seen this question asked yet: Are the radiators of a different design then the 08-10 models?

Current issues with the radiators are leaks at the seams. So what has been done differently to ensure success in this new motor?

Quick Reply: A Ford Representative joining us